•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Recommend your favorite stacking software that is NOT DSS

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#51 Borodog

Borodog

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 03 January 2021 - 10:32 AM

Isn't this basically the same question that was answered earlier in this thread??

https://www.cloudyni...dss/?p=10774390

Or are you saying that now you are doing NO background calibration and still having noticeable color shift in DSS?

You are right. My apologies; I'm still wrapping my head around all of this. Imagine you told a "regular" photographer, not an astrophotographer, that you could reduce the noise in his photographs by stacking a bunch of exposures taken rapidly. That sounds interesting, he says, tell me more. Then you stack his exposures and the whole thing comes out puce. Oh, you just have to fix the color balance! But the color balance was fine on the way in? It's just very non-intuitive for me. Again, my apologies. I'm sure I sound like a repetitive idiot.

#52 sbharrat

sbharrat

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: NJ, USA

Posted 03 January 2021 - 10:44 AM

You are right. My apologies; I'm still wrapping my head around all of this. Imagine you told a "regular" photographer, not an astrophotographer, that you could reduce the noise in his photographs by stacking a bunch of exposures taken rapidly. That sounds interesting, he says, tell me more. Then you stack his exposures and the whole thing comes out puce. Oh, you just have to fix the color balance! But the color balance was fine on the way in? It's just very non-intuitive for me. Again, my apologies. I'm sure I sound like a repetitive idiot.

No worries. I was just trying to understand where the preconditions of what we were talking about changed. I could not find what changed even after re-reading the thread so I got confused. 

> Oh, you just have to fix the color balance! But the color balance was fine on the way in

On this part, you *can* just stack and get behavior that matches your intuition. However, depending on characteristics among the set of subs you are stacking (in particular, the range of the background level), you are sometimes forced to do background calibration in order to get proper stacking (proper outlier rejection). And *then* you need to try to restore the color balance.

Cheers

• Borodog likes this

#53 jonnybravo0311

jonnybravo0311

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: NJ, US

Posted 03 January 2021 - 11:09 AM

But WHY. Why is the color balance of the stack radically different from the lights???

Because of the way the software interprets and manages the debayering of the image data in conjunction with any parameters you set. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter one iota because you can easily adjust the color balance in any photo editing software. Example:

colored stacks

This is exactly the same image. I just cloned it. On the left side, I am showing a channel linked auto stretch. On the right, it's unlinked. Here's what it looks like in the linear state:

linear stacks

You'll noticed both left and right look exactly the same. They should, since the one on the right is a clone of the one on the left.

• Borodog likes this

#54 Umasscrew39

Umasscrew39

Apollo

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 03 January 2021 - 03:00 PM

Normally: PixInsight WBPP or APP

Image with few stars: APP = PixInsight manual* >>>PixInsight WBPP 

*if beginning, PixInsight manual can be confusing at first while APP just does its thing; however, learning the PixInsight manual process is a great way to learn and understand what the various parameters can do when manipulated

• Borodog likes this

#55 CCD-Freak

CCD-Freak

Vanguard

• Loc: Whitesboro,Texas

Posted 03 January 2021 - 03:58 PM

Astroart 7 is a preprocessing, processing, image acquisition and complete automation package, with a built in star chart, multistar autoguider interface, integrated stand alone platesolving and multistar autofocus.

It has a 64bit preprocessing and processing engine, that is probably the fastest available, while also being extremely frugal with system resources. It has two 32bit image acquisition/processing engines for backward compatibility:

http://www.msb-astroart.com/

There is a free unlimited time demo to experiment with and to test hardware compatibility:

http://www.msb-astro...com/down_en.htm

It is an order of magnitude faster than APP, according to my testing and somewhat faster than DSS. It has a straightforward and easy to use interface, which IMHO is easier to use than DSS.

Another vote for Astro Art 7.   I do everything with it.  

My $.02

John

CCD-Freak

WD5IKX

#56 limeyx

limeyx

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 03 January 2021 - 06:23 PM

Seriously: Get Pixinsight. 

Pixinsight was a bear back when there were no books for it. Today, this is not the case. Get the Warren Keller book and just follow it slavishly (you can skip the deconvolution parts in the first go). You will get much better stacking *and* processing than you are likely to get with anything else. 

For me, getting APP rather than Pixinsight is like buying a Toyota Corolla because it's $200 when a Mercedes S-class is $300. 

Agreed. I figured PixInsight was a fraction of the cost of the hardware and my time and went for it and haven't looked back.

I am still a rank-amateur with but getting better every day and you can get decent results fairly easily (IMO)

• elmiko and Borodog like this

#57 elmiko

elmiko

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 03 January 2021 - 06:33 PM

PixInsight.

• Borodog likes this

#58 Borodog

Borodog

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 03 January 2021 - 06:59 PM

If Astro Art has a free trial like APP and PI do, I will try all three. You know, once I have some data instead of CLOUDS.

#59 NoDarkSkies

NoDarkSkies

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado City Colorado

Posted 03 January 2021 - 07:22 PM

MaxIm DL 6, Current 32Bit but 64Bit is coming this year.

#60 rj144

rj144

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 January 2021 - 09:49 PM

I purchased ImagesPlus, that is now free.  Great stretching algorithms, and many other astronomy tools.

Never heard of this one, but just checked it out.  It's pretty cool... even for just touching up already stretched images.

#61 DuncanM

DuncanM

Soyuz

• Loc: Arizona Sky Village or the rain forest

Posted 03 January 2021 - 11:49 PM

If Astro Art has a free trial like APP and PI do, I will try all three. You know, once I have some data instead of CLOUDS.

Yes, there's a free unlimited time trial version:

http://www.msb-astro...com/down_en.htm

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics