•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

vixen dovetail plate

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 May 2004 - 05:14 PM

Hi Ya'll,
I have a C8 SCT and a Vixen Polaris mount. I found out that instead of the Losmandy dovetail plate that my scope came with that I need a Vixen dovetail plate. There are a lot of different kinds though and I'm not sure which one I need. Any help would be greatly appreciated b/c I'm really anxious to use my scope!
Thanks!

#2 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 04 May 2004 - 06:25 PM

Hands On Optics sells a Vixen-compatible plate that I think bolts directly to a C8 - should be perfect for you IF the Polaris accepts a dovetail plate. I don't think those did originally but there was a saddle available that you might have on yours.

#3 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators

Posted 04 May 2004 - 08:01 PM

What you need is on Astromart right now:

http://www.astromart....asp?cid=268833

#4 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 May 2004 - 12:34 PM

Before you go ahead and order something here are some things to consider.

First, what year was your C8 made. If it's an older OTA meant for SP mounts then the mounting holes on the back of the OTA are spaced approximately 2.5" apart. The more recent OTA's that come with GP mounts have mounting holes that are only about 1.5" apart. So, if that Vixen dovetail is meant for a GP mount it will not fit an earlier model C8 OTA and vice versa.

Additionally, the current Vixen dovetails do not work with older Polaris or Super Polaris mounts unless the dovetail is tapped with two 1/4x20 threaded holes that are properly spaced to accept the SP mount's bolts.

Since you have a Losmandy dovetail for your C8, all you need is the G11 saddle and the Polaris adapter plate.

Cheers!
Rolly

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics