•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SW 120ED - Expecting too much?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#51 aa6ww

aa6ww

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Sacramento, Calif.

Posted 06 January 2021 - 10:31 AM

I've had mine over 6 years now and its kept me happy and not interested in anything else in this size range. It mounts easy on my AVX or GP-DX, both easy mounts to set  up. I have an AT92 which is my smaller refractor and an APM-152 which is my larger refractor. 

I don't understand the hassle factor of setting up at home. On a evening when I know I will be setting up, I start early and am all set up before darkness. I dont have to walk too far from my house to my back yard, maybe 40 feet max. It is lots of walking back and forth but setting up is still kind of fun to me at home. If im too tired to tear everything down after a night in my back yard, I just cover my scope and go inside and break things down the following morning. At a dark site, its a different situation since timing is important when getting there and leaving. I'm always the last to pack up and leave.

I posted this thread last year, after my 6 years of ownership:

https://www.cloudyni...have-you-added/

so there are lots of very happy people who own these. 

Hopefully 2021 is the best year ever for astronomy. In the Last two years I've thinned out the number of telescopes I own, bought 2 new Celestron GoTo mounts and now everything is coming up roses. 

All I need this year is clear skies, so even in my back yard mediocre skies I'm looking forward to the best year ever. We all should, especially after 2020.

Clear skies.

Ralph

Attached Thumbnails

• SW120ED on Celestron AVX with Starsense.jpg

Edited by aa6ww, 06 January 2021 - 10:33 AM.

• Jeff B, niteskystargazer, Bomber Bob and 2 others like this

#52 Kutno

Kutno

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 January 2021 - 11:49 AM

The SW120ED could be used on a much smaller mount. 2 trip scope to set up.  I could carry the whole thing really. The SW150ED was mounted on a AP800 and that was like a 6 or 7 trip scope to set up.  My house is not set up to roll out a big scope all set up.

OTA was easy to handle, but the mount and pier was a pain to set up for fast looks.

Thank you.

#53 25585

Voyager 1

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK. Dark end of the street.

Posted 07 January 2021 - 10:45 AM

If you do get the APM 140ED i recommend the 3.7 inch focuser over the 2.5 version as the extra weight on the back end balances the tube better.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thanks. The larger focuser is another incentive :)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics