•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stellarvue 180mm; comparisons and contrasts with a LZOS 180mm/TEC 180mm?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 SimonIRE

SimonIRE

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: South East England

Posted 02 January 2021 - 01:09 AM

Hi All, 

This undoubtedly has been done before but I would like to poll updated opinions. 

The thing that is missing from my scope arsenal that I would like, is a very large refractor i.e. 175/180mm. I use my LZOS 152mm with a reducer and full frame camera for deep sky and would like  something larger for planetary and lunar work. Mount capacity isn't an issue. 

TEC and LZOS are the obvious considerations, but what about Stellarvue? There is a thread here on an upcoming 180mm SV refractor. I have never owned a SV but they look incredibly well made with lens documentation to back them up. 

So all things being equal, where would we place a SV180mm?

Stay safe!

Simon

#2 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 02 January 2021 - 01:15 AM

for now, in the purely theoretical realm

• Paul G, Jon Isaacs, Paul Hyndman and 4 others like this

#3 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 02 January 2021 - 01:22 AM

I'll bet it will bat in the same league, and be comparably priced.  Nothing revolutionary, just another choice.

I own two Stellarvues (SV70T, SVQ100Q).  Nice scopes.

• MortonH, Gene3 and SimonIRE like this

#4 SimonIRE

SimonIRE

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 January 2021 - 01:27 AM

for now, in the purely theoretical realm

Not quite - SV are gauging interest. 

Edited by SimonIRE, 02 January 2021 - 01:27 AM.

#5 SimonIRE

SimonIRE

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 January 2021 - 01:28 AM

I'll bet it will bat in the same league, and be comparably priced.  Nothing revolutionary, just another choice.

I own two Stellarvues (SV70T, SVQ100Q).  Nice scopes.

For sure, but it will be interesting to see what the lead time is for one of these. 

#6 MortonH

MortonH

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 02 January 2021 - 03:09 AM

Not quite - SV are gauging interest. 

That counts as theoretical in my book.

• Paul G, Jon Isaacs, peleuba and 1 other like this

#7 bobhen

bobhen

Aurora

Posted 02 January 2021 - 09:03 AM

If you want another choice have a look at CFF apo refractors. The CFF 180 F7 is 14,000 euros to non-EU countries. I believe you are now a non-Eu country, so no VAT tax.

If, as SV says, their new 180 will be priced as other American made 180mm apo refractors (that means TEC) and that would place the cost at around $19,000.

I hope these new SV scopes live up to their high quality promise and delivery dates, as we need another high quality American refractor producer – more is better.

Bob

• bobzeq25 and Jan-S like this

#8 junomike

junomike

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 02 January 2021 - 09:06 AM

Have to wait and see.  Reading between the lines the "New Glass" might mean FCD-100 which is fine IMO but not in the same pricepoint as some see FPL-53 or Fluorite  which the TEC uses.

Pricing IMO will be the key.

#9 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 02 January 2021 - 10:07 AM

I just hope it comes out of the gate better than the Meade 7" ED did.

• Rollo and Jeff B like this

#10 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 02 January 2021 - 10:35 AM

I just hope it comes out of the gate better than the Meade 7" ED did.

Based on most people's reports, that doesn't seem to be setting the bar very high. I've actually used a Meade 178 that was extremely superb optically, but that one seems to be a bit of an outlier. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

• Daniel Mounsey, bob midiri, Jeff B and 1 other like this

#11 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 02 January 2021 - 11:47 AM

Based on most people's reports, that doesn't seem to be setting the bar very high. I've actually used a Meade 178 that was extremely superb optically, but that one seems to be a bit of an outlier. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

I think my lens would have been good if it was collimated when it came back from Meade 3 times.

• Jeff B and Astrojensen like this

#12 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 02 January 2021 - 12:39 PM

I think my lens would have been good if it was collimated when it came back from Meade 3 times.

The Meade's were doublets based on FCD-1.. this scope is a triplet.

StellarVue has only recently gotten into making their own objectives. LZOS and TEC have been doing it for a lot of years..

They're known quantities.  

Jon

#13 rkelley8493

rkelley8493

Vanguard

• Loc: The Emerald Coast

Posted 02 January 2021 - 01:11 PM

I've got a Stellarvue 130 refractor, and it's a beautiful piece of equipment love.gif

The one I have is the predecessor to the SVX Series, SVA130T. It uses an FPL53 center element and a Lanthanum rear element. There is no false color whatsoever introduced by the objective. It is as good as it gets for its class coolnod.gif

Aside from the optical quality, the mechanical quality is right there with TEC. It has a powder-coated white optical tube that is very durable. I think there is just one small mark on mine, and I've owned it since March 2019. The Takahashi FC-100DF that I've owned for half as long and used a quarter as much already has a few marks in the gloss white paint, and I don't even know how they got there bc I'm very gentle with it undecided.gif

The focuser on my SVA130T is a 3" Feather Touch which speaks for itself. TEC comes standard with Feather Touch focusers, but SV offers them on most, if not all, of their refractors. I'm not sure how well their in-house focusers work, but I have seen a few good reviews on them.

Stellarvue does pay a lot of attention to the details on their equipment, their owner seems very OCD about the products they produce. That's a good quality to have in this field wink.gif

Edited by rkelley8493, 02 January 2021 - 01:11 PM.

• bobzeq25 likes this

#14 121601

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 02 January 2021 - 01:22 PM

Have to wait and see.  Reading between the lines the "New Glass" might mean FCD-100 which is fine IMO but not in the same pricepoint as some see FPL-53 or Fluorite  which the TEC uses.

Lens figuring and cell stability will be key.  cs

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#15 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 02 January 2021 - 03:37 PM

I'll take a bet Stellarvue will not be using FCD100 or any other low end glass.  And give odds.  <grin>   Very much not their style.

• Astrola72 likes this

#16 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 02 January 2021 - 03:44 PM

While I’m far from a glass expert, I don’t know that I’d categorize FCD100 as a low-end glass.  While not as well known as FPL-53, it’s what AP is using in their new version of the Stowaway.  I can’t see AP using a cheap, suboptimal glass in their scopes.

• Daniel Mounsey, Jon Isaacs, Rich V. and 11 others like this

#17 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 02 January 2021 - 03:50 PM

While I’m far from a glass expert, I don’t know that I’d categorize FCD100 as a low-end glass.  While not as well known as FPL-53, it’s what AP is using in their new version of the Stowaway.  I can’t see AP using a cheap, suboptimal glass in their scopes.

If it's good enough for Roland, it's good enough. 

But a top quality refractor is far more than just the glass. Roland and Yuri have been at it a long, long time and have proven themselves capable of near perfection on a consistent basis.

Jon

• Scott in NC, rockstarbill and Voyager 3 like this

#18 121601

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 02 January 2021 - 04:19 PM

Doesn't the ES127 use fcd100?  I wonder if the upcoming SV127 f/8 will employ fcd100.  What would be truly illuminating is to see  an "Ed Ting multi-user" side by side review between say a TAK120ish, Agema 127 doublet and an extremely well figured (RMS, PV, strehl all together not just strehl)  fcd100 127 (ES, SV, etc.).   I believe the painstaking, time consuming, expensive craftsmanship" is what truly rule (as alluded by rolando).  CS

#19 tristan89

tristan89

Lift Off

Posted 02 January 2021 - 04:52 PM

As far as I know, most of the sv scopes are actually manufactured in China, including this 180apo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • jtpowers likes this

#20 epdreher

epdreher

Apollo

• Loc: Texas Hill Country

Posted 02 January 2021 - 05:11 PM

As far as I know, most of the sv scopes are actually manufactured in China, including this 180apo.

popcorn.gif

• k5apl likes this

#21 Paul Hyndman

Paul Hyndman

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Connecticut Shoreline USA

Posted 02 January 2021 - 05:19 PM

If even mildly interested in a 7"/f7 APO, getting on the list and waiting to see the specs is a far better approach than would of/ could of/ /should of once the list is closed. Subsequently, If you don't like the specs, pricing, or your needs have changed you can always bow out before plunking down a deposit.

I've passed on some otherwise great equipment that no longer met my needs but was grateful to have had the opportunity to decide on my terms.

#22 jimandlaura26

jimandlaura26

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 02 January 2021 - 05:19 PM

Some additional perspective is order. Vic Maris has commented on this many times here and on other sites. It is true that some SV branded scopes or sub-assemblies have been imported, but with certain key aspects tested and reworked in-house at Stellarvue; such as final optics quality and alignment and focuser mechanism mechanical rework. Previously, the optics were specified by Stellarvue, and rejected if unsatisfactory, as judged by in-house quantitative testing. Previously, many key parts were CNC machined, assembled and tested at Stellarvue. That said, all scopes were also field tested on DSOs prior to delivery. Presently, most if not all OTA parts, optics included, are essentially in-house productions and sold directly by Stellarvue. In the end what matters most are results in the field, regardless of sourcing; as well as SV follow-up and resolution should problems arise - for which they have great track record. Clear Skies!

• Jeff Bennett, havasman, gene 4181 and 1 other like this

#23 drprovi57

drprovi57

Messenger

• Loc: Virgina USA

Posted 02 January 2021 - 05:37 PM

If you want another choice have a look at CFF apo refractors. The CFF 180 F7 is 14,000 euros to non-EU countries. I believe you are now a non-Eu country, so no VAT tax.

If, as SV says, their new 180 will be priced as other American made 180mm apo refractors (that means TEC) and that would place the cost at around $19,000.

I hope these new SV scopes live up to their high quality promise and delivery dates, as we need another high quality American refractor producer – more is better.

Bob

I can also endorse the quality of CFF Refractors - I currently own a CFF 200mm f6.5, delivered in August of 2020... Catalin at CFF provides excellent service.  Every CFF refractor comes with a dedicated field flattener -  they are also binoviewer friendly, lots of available back focus - no OCS needed for binoviewing - they also come with FT3.5" focuser.  Like StellarVue they also provide interferometer data for each scope.  The good news there are more manufacturers of high quality APO's available.

Jason

#24 tristan89

tristan89

Lift Off

Posted 02 January 2021 - 06:21 PM

Some additional perspective is order. Vic Maris has commented on this many times here and on other sites. It is true that some SV branded scopes or sub-assemblies have been imported, but with certain key aspects tested and reworked in-house at Stellarvue; such as final optics quality and alignment and focuser mechanism mechanical rework. Previously, the optics were specified by Stellarvue, and rejected if unsatisfactory, as judged by in-house quantitative testing. Previously, many key parts were CNC machined, assembled and tested at Stellarvue. That said, all scopes were also field tested on DSOs prior to delivery. Presently, most if not all OTA parts, optics included, are essentially in-house productions and sold directly by Stellarvue. In the end what matters most are results in the field, regardless of sourcing; as well as SV follow-up and resolution should problems arise - for which they have great track record. Clear Skies!

You are right. What I am thinking is the price should be lower than TEC or AP if they outsource the scope in China. Look at WO in USA and TS optics in Europe, the price difference of the same scope is ridiculous sometimes.

• jimandlaura26, jtpowers and junomike like this

#25 junomike

junomike

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 02 January 2021 - 06:34 PM

I'll take a bet Stellarvue will not be using FCD100 or any other low end glass.  And give odds.  <grin>   Very much not their style.

You could be correct, but I was going off Vic's own words "New glass".  Although FCD100 isn't new, it along with FPL-55 seem to be the newest offerings (AFAIK).

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics