•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stellarvue 180mm; comparisons and contrasts with a LZOS 180mm/TEC 180mm?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#51 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 04 January 2021 - 07:29 PM

Who makes 150-180 mm scopes with the longest f ratios?

I can't think of anyone making over F/8 these days in the 150mm or bigger sizes.  Meade did it with a 7" F/9 many years ago.

Edited by CHASLX200, 04 January 2021 - 07:29 PM.

#52 Suavi

Suavi

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 20.25 deg South of the Equator

Posted 04 January 2021 - 08:16 PM

Perhaps because with modern glasses, improved polishing technology and good quality eyepieces there is no real need (read: market) for such long, requiring a larger mount and therefore not so user-friendly large aperture refractors?

• RedzoneMN likes this

#53 RedzoneMN

RedzoneMN

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: West of the Twin Cities

Posted 04 January 2021 - 08:41 PM

Perhaps because with modern glasses, improved polishing technology and good quality eyepieces there is no real need (read: market) for such long, requiring a larger mount and therefore not so user-friendly large aperture refractors?

Also, increasingly I feel that visual only observers seem to be a minority. With NV, EAA is encroaching on the visual only turf as well. The market, I suppose, is now majority imagers and the manufacturers are pivoting to the core audience. Visual observers are an after thought.

Edited by RedzoneMN, 05 January 2021 - 06:35 AM.

#54 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 05 January 2021 - 06:28 AM

Also, increasingly I feel that visual only observers seem to be a minority. With NV, EAA is encroaching on the visual only turf as well. The market I suppose is now majority imagers and the need for manufacturers to pivot to the core audience. Visual observers are an after thought.

Seems so.  The good old F/15 fracts are about gone and the good old F/8 Newts are long done.  Just about all Newts today are F/4 and faster.

• Rollo likes this

#55 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 05 January 2021 - 10:02 AM

TEC 180 -- $19,000

AP 175 -- $21,000 (originally I believe)

So I guess SV is saying they will be in this ballpark.

Bill,

At one time my neighbor nearby was selling his TEC200ED for just $14,000. A steal at the time.

#56 Paul G

Paul G

Cosmos

• Loc: Freedonia

Posted 05 January 2021 - 12:01 PM

TEC 180 -- $19,000

AP 175 -- $21,000 (originally I believe)

So I guess SV is saying they will be in this ballpark.

I would think so. The AP included a dedicated f8.3 CCD field flattener.

#57 JimP

JimP

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: USA

Posted 06 January 2021 - 10:40 AM

Please don’t start unsubstantiated rumors. Stellarvue SVX lenses are produced by Stellarvue in the USA.

Please go to Stellarvue.com and look at the video by Dennis D.  from Sky and Telescope.

I started buying Astro-Physics refractors in the 1970’s before their scopes became legendary. I started buying Maksutovs by TEC when they first started producing them. Then, when TEC moved to refractors I bought TEC refractors before they became legendary. When TMB first started selling telescopes with LZOS lenses I bought TMB (LZOS) scopes before anyone spoke of LZOS as superb lens makers. I remember when I stated that LZOS lenses were as good as AP lenses based on my experience. I can assure you not everyone agreed. Everyone has to start somewhere and that includes AP, TEC and LZOS. In each instance I did my homework, took a chance, and was not disappointed.

I have a Stellarvue SVX 140 on order. I may change to an SVX 152. Not sure yet. I’ll be happy to give you a report after using the scope for a while. Waiting a decade to see if Stellarvue SVX lenses are considered legendary makes no sense to me, especially at age 70.  Look at Stellarvues history and make your own decision.

Here is something to consider.

Stellarvue 152 $9,000

Takahashi TOA 150 $12,500

Used AP 155 $10,000-12,000

AP 160.  Don’t ask

TEC 160.  $12,500

I think the Stellarvue SVX 152 by comparison may be a bargain but, to know, you have to be willing to buy one. I am.

Jim

Edited by JimP, 07 January 2021 - 09:14 AM.

• R Botero, eros312, astrofun and 3 others like this

#58 Chuck2

Chuck2

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 06 January 2021 - 07:00 PM

Brief read on Stellarvue's current US domestic production of SVX refractors...

https://www.stellarv...102T_manual.pdf

2019 video on Stellarvue's current in house US domestic production of optics...

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=BmCSfGE-v9I

NEAF 2020 Video on Stellavue's in house optical systems...

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=JiPl7QHxQPk

Edited by Chuck2, 06 January 2021 - 07:06 PM.

#59 aashish

aashish

Sputnik

• Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 07 January 2021 - 02:34 AM

I personally feel they market their Strehl numbers way more than anyone else. I have never seen AP or TEC push "Our refractors are 0.99+ Strehl" even though it's common agreement at least at this time they make the best refractors. I feel it is misleading and unnecessary.

Edited by aashish, 07 January 2021 - 02:34 AM.

• ad701xx, bobhen, Mattimac and 2 others like this

#60 JimP

JimP

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: USA

Posted 07 January 2021 - 09:12 AM

I love AP scopes. No one makes a better telescope. Having said that, I believe at one point AP literature stated that AP guarantees a Strehl of .98. Check it out.
How people advertise is their business. AP is my favorite maker of telescopes. Right now I own a Stowaway, an AP 130 F/8.35 and an AP 10” Maksutov. I do not own a Stellarvue but have one on order. If you don’t like Stellarvue’s advertising, so what? I don’t like the fact that Nike uses Colin Copperhick to advertise their shoes. So what? Got nothing to do with the quality of their sneakers.

JimP

Edited by JimP, 07 January 2021 - 09:18 AM.

• Catapoman, Moravianus, Rollo and 2 others like this

#61 sqrlman

sqrlman

Vostok 1

Posted 19 February 2021 - 01:41 AM

I was at Astrofest in 1998.  We had a night of really excellent seeing. Two telescopes set up right next to each other. Astro-Physics 180 EDT F9 and a 180 EDF F7. Comparisons were made using Jupiter and Saturn. You could go back and forth  all night. Identical images. You could not see any difference at all. This particular EDT was known to be one of the best ones ever made.

Steve

#62 tgreene

tgreene

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Redwood City, CA

Posted 19 February 2021 - 12:35 PM

I was at Astrofest in 1998.  We had a night of really excellent seeing. Two telescopes set up right next to each other. Astro-Physics 180 EDT F9 and a 180 EDF F7. Comparisons were made using Jupiter and Saturn. You could go back and forth  all night. Identical images. You could not see any difference at all. This particular EDT was known to be one of the best ones ever made.

Steve

That must have been fun!

I'm not surprised that there were no visible differences through their eyepieces at the same power: Both are triplets with ED glass made to very similar specifications and tolerances. Maybe a broad-band imaging camera could detect some color differences.

I assume there was one very big visible difference that didn't require looking through the eyepiece - about 36 cm (over 14") in length.

#63 sqrlman

sqrlman

Vostok 1

Posted 20 February 2021 - 09:47 AM

Not similar. Different glass type on the F7

#64 tgreene

tgreene

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Redwood City, CA

Posted 20 February 2021 - 01:06 PM

Not similar. Different glass type on the F7

I did not say that the glasses were similar, only that they were ED. It is quite well-known that the EDT's low dispersion element had a lower Abbe number than that of the EDF.
However, it is quite likely that Roland finished the telescope lens figures to similar WFEs.

The differences in the Abbe numbers of the ED components of similar f/# triplets will not be manifested as visible secondary spectrum to the human eye. Broadly-sensitive Si detectors can sense that though. However, gross differences in WFE will be visible, monochromatically or polychromatically.

#65 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Cosmos

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 20 February 2021 - 01:29 PM

I'll take a bet Stellarvue will not be using FCD100 or any other low end glass. And give odds. <grin> Very much not their style.

FCD100 is not low end glass. It's the same thing as FPL53 just from a different manufacturer, and thus a different name.
  • eros312 and mrector like this

#66 mrector

mrector

Vostok 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 21 February 2021 - 11:29 AM

I personally feel they market their Strehl numbers way more than anyone else. I have never seen AP or TEC push "Our refractors are 0.99+ Strehl" even though it's common agreement at least at this time they make the best refractors. I feel it is misleading and unnecessary.

I think you’re seeing the mysticism surrounding AP. When you have a waiting list, a following and people who worship at the alter of AP you don’t need to provide anything more than aperture, focal length and price.

On the other side you have SV which has had mixed commentary for years. They don’t have a waiting list or a shaman smudging for them so they have to have a draw to attract buyers, things like FTFs and strehl.

It’s very similar in the audiophile community, the more testable standards you provide, the more ways a naysayer can attack you, but if you provide a transparent, sonically real, clarity forward experience...
  • aashish and SimonIRE like this

#67 skybsd

skybsd

Aurora

Posted 21 February 2021 - 12:45 PM

What exactly was (or is?) the OP's objective of this thread? 

skybsd 

#68 SimonIRE

SimonIRE

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: South East England

Posted 21 February 2021 - 12:48 PM

What exactly was (or is?) the OP's objective of this thread?

skybsd

Interested to hear people’s opinion on these brands of refractors. It’s in the title.

#69 skybsd

skybsd

Aurora

Posted 21 February 2021 - 01:05 PM

Interested to hear people’s opinion on these brands of refractors. It’s in the title.

I PM'd you instead., 

Cheers., 

skybsd

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics