•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Lunatico AAG Cloudwatcher & Solo

accessories astrophotography equipment observatory
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Corpze

Corpze

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Sweden

Posted 02 January 2021 - 02:14 AM

Hi, I have recently bought and mounted a third version of a weather monitoring station, this time a non DIY product - The Lunatico AAG Cloudwatcher and the Solo computer with it.

I have been running a weather monitor for five years now, but because i lack front-end coding (or hasn't taken the time learning it)
I have been looking for a out-of-the-box product which presents the data in a nice way.

The difference between this product and the two other models I have made earlier is the raspberry pi and the webserver capability. 

The earlier versions had the capability to output a "safe" or "not safe" command to my sequence program.
 This version from lunatico has the capability to output a folder in my network with a boltwood textfile, or direct via ASCOM.

So far, i have been running this for two weeks now and it is working very nice. The data is presented on a webpage very nice and it has 100% uptime as of now.
Just one time, the cloud temperature has been presented wrong, this happend during a weather change from +2 degrees celsius and overcast to about -10 degree celsius with clear sky in a matter in a couple of hours.

I made a video of how it looks and works, you can watch it here: https://youtu.be/Rf-RWWN-u7E

please feel free to comment and ask questions :)

​​​​​​​/Daniel

• Tim likes this

#2 string

string

Ranger 4

• Loc: Deep South

Posted 25 February 2021 - 07:33 PM

Daniel,

I am in the market for a cloud/rain sensor to control a ROR Observatory using Voyager. I see that Voyager has a checkbox to manage the AAG Cloudwatcher. I am very happy to see that you have started a 2021 thread about this. It's now almost 2 months since you started this thread. What is you experience with the AAG in the last couple of months? How are you controlling your observatory with it? If I have online access to my observatory PC from anywhere do I really need the SOLO unit? I'm all questions and I'll soak up all answers like a sponge... no pun intended.

Steven

#3 Tim

Tim

Viking 1

• Loc: Kitchener, Ontario

Posted 25 February 2021 - 09:43 PM

thanks for posting - I haven't seen many post on the Lunatico Cloudwatcher.

I purchased the pocket cloud watcher from them. From what I understand I can hook it up to a computer haven't done so yet.  I use the app on my phone and Ipad to monitor sky conditions connects easily to to it.

Sometimes I like to get some sleep while Imaging - its been great to alert me wake me up to poor sky conditions.  

Service email responses were very good and was my first direct purchase from Europe.

#4 petercoxphoto

petercoxphoto

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cork, Ireland

Posted 26 February 2021 - 10:41 AM

As I mentioned in string's other thread, I've been using an AAG Cloudwatcher for months now as the safety monitor for my ROR observatory. Extremely happy with it, it's very reliable and prompt to respond to adverse conditions. I have it connected through their Dragonfly system to control the roof automation and have found them to be very responsive and helpful with any and all queries I've had.

Highly recommended!

Cheers,

Peter

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, astrophotography, equipment, observatory

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics