•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Svbony SV305

CMOS
  • Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#26 Seany75uk

Seany75uk

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 January 2021 - 06:38 PM

Settings/guide Camera/white balance? One of those options in guide camera tab. If you cant find it ill go look. Just shut down the computer sorry ..

Just read a message up above. Definitely make sure your looking at a target at least 150 to 200 feet ahead to get good picture and focus.

Thanks again, that will be why I haven't seen it, I've not set it as a guide cam yet just been messing with it in sharpcap as an imaging cam, waiting for my guidescope before I start looking into PHD2, which was supposed to be coming tomorrow but now isn't arriving until Saturday 🙁

Edited by Seany75uk, 14 January 2021 - 06:39 PM.

#27 Fitz8710

Fitz8710

Mariner 2

• Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 14 January 2021 - 07:03 PM

Pretty common nowadays with mail. My ES80 Fcl100 refractor isnt going to be here until August... :(

#28 Seany75uk

Seany75uk

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 January 2021 - 02:11 AM

Pretty common nowadays with mail. My ES80 Fcl100 refractor isnt going to be here until August... :(

Wow August that's a serious shipping delay, you must really want that scope, I wouldn't have the patience to wait that long. I had ordered an HEQ5 and it got cancelled a few hours later even after I had confirmed with them they had stock, so I ended I up buying a used EQ6 Pro as it was the only mount I could find for sale in the UK at the time, I was pretty lucky really as it was only 15 minutes from me too.

#29 Fitz8710

Fitz8710

Mariner 2

Posted 15 January 2021 - 05:52 AM

Good choice on the eq6. I think the wait is worth their life time warranty on the scope. They could have quality issues with the high demand right now as well. My newt will keep me busy in the time being.

#30 Borodog

Borodog

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 15 January 2021 - 07:44 AM

Set your white balance in the neighborhood of 171, 100, 171. Should only require minimal tweaking from there.

#31 Seany75uk

Seany75uk

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 January 2021 - 09:17 AM

Set your white balance in the neighborhood of 171, 100, 171. Should only require minimal tweaking from there.

Thanks again mate I'm getting there slowly but surely, I can only find focus through my Skywatcher 80ED if I attach it to a diagonal I'm guessing this is pretty normal and won't be required with a short focal length guide scope.Also noticed you are using RGB24 avi, i assumed raw12 ser would be better, is there any reason for this. I did try and add an image from flickr but it doesn't seem to allow them "You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community."

#32 Borodog

Borodog

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 15 January 2021 - 09:44 AM

I'm a different dude, but I usually shoot in RAW12. I only shoot AVI if I'm making a time lapse.

• philinbris likes this

#33 Seany75uk

Seany75uk

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 January 2021 - 02:35 PM

I'm a different dude, but I usually shoot in RAW12. I only shoot AVI if I'm making a time lapse.

Ah sorry never noticed, thanks bud 👍🏻
  • Borodog likes this

#34 Fitz8710

Fitz8710

Mariner 2

Posted 15 January 2021 - 03:05 PM

I dont use that camera with that driver. It was just a reference for a suggested white balance. I use the ascom driver on PHD2.

#35 Fitz8710

Fitz8710

Mariner 2

Posted 15 January 2021 - 03:05 PM

I dont use that camera with that driver. It was just a reference for a suggested white balance. I use the ascom driver on PHD2.

#36 Seany75uk

Seany75uk

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 January 2021 - 03:30 PM

I've not tried it in PHD2 yet, my guidescope is coming tomorrow, but the weather looks terrible for at least the next week so not sure when I'll get to try it out properly.

#37 Fitz8710

Fitz8710

Mariner 2

Posted 15 January 2021 - 03:54 PM

Me too. Going on week 5 of clouds.

#38 Seany75uk

Seany75uk

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 January 2021 - 04:21 PM

Know the feeling not had a chance to use any of my new gear yet, beginning to think I should have bought a solar scope, the clouds seem to clear during the day and come back as soon as it starts to get dark, at least I could have imaged something 🤔

#39 philinbris

philinbris

Messenger

• Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Posted 15 January 2021 - 05:30 PM

Thanks again mate I'm getting there slowly but surely, I can only find focus through my Skywatcher 80ED if I attach it to a diagonal I'm guessing this is pretty normal and won't be required with a short focal length guide scope.Also noticed you are using RGB24 avi, i assumed raw12 ser would be better, is there any reason for this. I did try and add an image from flickr but it doesn't seem to allow them "You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community."

I agree with Borodog.
I gave up using RGB24 a long time ago and almost exclusively use RAW12.

Just remember to user the correct color space in your processing software (again, here almost exclusively use Astrosurface - great AOI software).

For planets usually you want AVI or SER format then stack away in Astrosurface (did I mention that software wink.gif). I switched to SER a while back because many many believe its a better frat, certainly has advantage of more meta data in the file. And of course what Borodog said - time lapse.

But for DSO (yes the 305 can do that, just not quite as well as $1000+ cameras do with cooling etc) you need JPG, etc using long exposure.

Cheers

Edited by philinbris, 15 January 2021 - 05:35 PM.

• Borodog likes this

#40 Fitz8710

Fitz8710

Mariner 2

Posted 15 January 2021 - 05:48 PM

Yes i used Raw 12 and .ser files for planetary. I second that.

Warning .ser files areeee huuuge ..lol

Never tried dso with it since i have a full spectrum canon t6 (1300d)

Edited by Fitz8710, 15 January 2021 - 05:50 PM.

#41 Seany75uk

Seany75uk

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 January 2021 - 05:56 PM

I agree with Borodog.
I gave up using RGB24 a long time ago and almost exclusively use RAW12.
Just remember to user the correct color space in your processing software (again, here almost exclusively use Astrosurface - great AOI software).

For planets usually you want AVI or SER format then stack away in Astrosurface (did I mention that software wink.gif). I switched to SER a while back because many many believe its a better frat, certainly has advantage of more meta data in the file. And of course what Borodog said - time lapse.
But for DSO (yes the 305 can do that, just not quite as well as $1000+ cameras do with cooling etc) you need JPG, etc using long exposure.

Cheers

Thanks for the information bud, everything helps. Going to have a look into astrosurface I've never heard of it, I like the idea of all in one software.

I use my DSLR for DSOs so probably won't try the 305 for them, will probably get a cooled cam in the future when funds allow, I'm hoping svbony release a nice one at a lower price point than ASI etc. (I can dream haha), just looking forward to getting some clear skies so I can try the 305 out properly
  • Fitz8710 likes this

#42 crazysaint

crazysaint

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Tulsa, OK

Posted 15 January 2021 - 11:27 PM

Tell me about it. Most nights are cloudy and clear nights are windy. Went from going out a couple times a week to a couple times a month, and most of those lately have been doing lunar or planetary captures between wind gusts. It's making me twitchy.

• Fitz8710 and Seany75uk like this

#43 MattZ40

MattZ40

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC, US

Posted 19 January 2021 - 01:11 PM

I received an SV305 Pro a little over a week ago and I've put a lot of time into messing with it since then. I'm having some challenges with it so I've read all the related threads here and elsewhere, but haven't been able to resolve some stubborn ones. So I'll throw this out there and see if anyone that's had similar issues has managed to resolve them.   I'm running windows 10 home with all the current updates with latest windows and ASCOM drivers. The Camera is plugged directly into a USB3.0 port of a laptop, no hub in between. I've uninstalled and reinstalled applications and drivers. Problems are less frequent but still there.

1) The camera locking up problem - In latest version of 32-bit SharpCap when you change the color space or capture area the camera will sometimes lock up. It used to be constant and is less frequent now for some unknown reason, but still happens at the least convenient times. What happens is the previewing frames count does not increment, it stops sending frames. It's usually at 0 when this happens since changing color space or capture area sends some sort of reset to the camera which resets the counter. SharpCap is not stuck since changes to options can be made but they have no effect. No amount of closing or reopening the camera will wake it up, nor will stopping and restarting SharpCap. If I rescan for cameras the SV305 in the 'Svbony Cameras' section is gone. The SV305s in the DirectShow and ASCOM sections are still listed there but can't be connected to and return an error saying the cameras doesn't have color and resolution control and can't be used with SharpCap. The only resolution is to disconnect and reconnect the USB cable, then it works as it should. I've seen that other people have had this same problem, has anyone found a solution?

2) Has anyone managed to get this working with FireCapture using the ASCOM driver? I've read the ASCOM driver is awful and it sure seems to be. The image has weird artifacts that come and go based on gain and exposure settings, and the preview isn't debayered. Captured images are terrible. Plus it doesn't seem to recognize it as a color camera. I'm not set on FireCapture but it has a plug in called MoonPanoramaMaker that I'd really like to use. But FireCapture doesn't recognize the SV305 windows driver, and MoonPanoramaMaker doesn't work with SharpCap.

Any advice and suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

#44 adoute

adoute

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ocean Isle Beach, NC

Posted 19 January 2021 - 02:00 PM

1) The camera locking up problem - In latest version of 32-bit SharpCap when you change the color space or capture area the camera will sometimes lock up. It used to be constant and is less frequent now for some unknown reason, but still happens at the least convenient times. What happens is the previewing frames count does not increment, it stops sending frames. It's usually at 0 when this happens since changing color space or capture area sends some sort of reset to the camera which resets the counter. SharpCap is not stuck since changes to options can be made but they have no effect. No amount of closing or reopening the camera will wake it up, nor will stopping and restarting SharpCap. If I rescan for cameras the SV305 in the 'Svbony Cameras' section is gone. The SV305s in the DirectShow and ASCOM sections are still listed there but can't be connected to and return an error saying the cameras doesn't have color and resolution control and can't be used with SharpCap. The only resolution is to disconnect and reconnect the USB cable, then it works as it should. I've seen that other people have had this same problem, has anyone found a solution?

I've had that issue, and another "exposure time / ROI selection" issue on all versions after 3.2.6421.0 (https://d.sharpcap.c...sion=3.2.6421.0)

Just this past weekend I tried the latest version, and while it didn't have the "exposure gets stuck until you change ROI size" issue as bad as other versions, it still occurred, so I reverted back to good-old 3.2.6421.0.

Edited by adoute, 19 January 2021 - 02:00 PM.

#45 MattZ40

MattZ40

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC, US

Posted 19 January 2021 - 02:20 PM

I've had that issue, and another "exposure time / ROI selection" issue on all versions after 3.2.6421.0 (https://d.sharpcap.c...sion=3.2.6421.0)

Just this past weekend I tried the latest version, and while it didn't have the "exposure gets stuck until you change ROI size" issue as bad as other versions, it still occurred, so I reverted back to good-old 3.2.6421.0.

Thanks Allan. I've just installed the version you mentioned and it's behaving so far.

Hope you're getting good weather at the coast, nice here today and looks good for tonight.

#46 Borodog

Borodog

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 19 January 2021 - 02:22 PM

I also have intermittent problems in SharpCap with the 305 of various kinds. I usually just close and reopen SharpCap.

#47 adoute

adoute

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ocean Isle Beach, NC

Posted 19 January 2021 - 02:25 PM

Thanks Allan. I've just installed the version you mentioned and it's behaving so far.

Hope you're getting good weather at the coast, nice here today and looks good for tonight.

You're welcome - glad it's working out for you.

The skies should be clear here tonight, but forecasted poor seeing. I'm going to try and capture the ISS again this evening, there's a nearly perfect pass happening just after 6:00 PM.

Clear Skies!

#48 Seany75uk

Seany75uk

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 January 2021 - 04:13 AM

Hi guys looking for a bit more advice, I used my 305 for the first time in clear skies last night, and had a bit of a nightmare trying to find focus.

I managed to use it with my guidescope to polar align in sharpcap, I had to use maximum gain with 8 second exposures but managed to get it excellent so was happy with that.

Then I put it in my 254/1200 newtonian which has a low profile dual speed focuser on it and I couldn't see a thing, I couldn't even get it focused enough to see a rough shape of the moon, though I'm not sure how close I was to it as was my first time using eqmod with stellarium and my goto didn't seem to be very accurate so was just having to slew manually until I could see the moon glow in the scope then try and focus from there. Just wondered if anybody knew what the back focus should be with a 254/1200 newt or had any tips for finding focus with it. I'm going to try it outside during the day today and see if I can get it then. I noticed when I first tested it with my 80ed I could only find focus with a star diagonal connected which isn't ideal.

Not tried it for guiding yet as I sent my dslr off for hot mirror removal on Wednesday which of course resulted in my first clear skies since I got my mount and scopes, but I'm not holding out much hope with it at the minute, with having to use 8 second exposures for plate solving . I bought the sv165 guide scope thinking it would be a great fit and the cam is actually quite loose when you put the nose piece in and tighten it up there's a lot of movement so had to put some electricians tape around the nose piece to stop the movement. Beginning to think I should have went for the ZWO120

#49 TorstenEdelmann

TorstenEdelmann

Viking 1

• Loc: Landsberg, Germany

Posted 22 January 2021 - 06:27 AM

2) Has anyone managed to get this working with FireCapture using the ASCOM driver? I've read the ASCOM driver is awful and it sure seems to be. The image has weird artifacts that come and go based on gain and exposure settings, and the preview isn't debayered. Captured images are terrible. Plus it doesn't seem to recognize it as a color camera. I'm not set on FireCapture but it has a plug in called MoonPanoramaMaker that I'd really like to use. But FireCapture doesn't recognize the SV305 windows driver, and MoonPanoramaMaker doesn't work with SharpCap.

The next FireCapture beta build (v2.7.03) will include native support for the SV305 so maybe you can try again when it's available in a about 2-3 weeks.

Torsten

#50 Fitz8710

Fitz8710

Mariner 2

Posted 22 January 2021 - 07:26 AM

If you cant focus you may need to add an extension to your focuser. When i used it on my main imaging train it was before i modified my focuser and primary closer for dslr. Just slowy pull out your Sv305 from the focuser and see if you achieve focus.
  • Seany75uk likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CMOS

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics