•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stellarvue SVX127D thoughts?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#51 Bob Pitney

Bob Pitney

Vendor (TeleGizmos)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 20 February 2021 - 09:09 AM

You are correct. A 3" Feather Touch is around $1,000. If the quality of the 5" is as Vic says it will be then $3,495 is a very good price. I watched the YouTube video on his lens manufacturing and read his article on the types of glass being used this year. I'm sold. The 6 month wait is going to be tough though.

Having years of experience with SV ED doublets I can tell you I have no doubt the SVX127 will be a superb instrument. I own the SV85S doublet and the SV102ABV. Both have seen their share of visual shoot outs up against some the finest scopes made including triplets. Both always held their own...the ABV102 even having broken the hearts of a few triplet owners with visual performance on par with their scopes. As Vic used to say about the ABV..."It's the doublet that thinks it's a triplet." In other words, well executed doublets are excellent instruments.

I signed up for the first configuration announced by SV for the SVX127 however reversed that decision after Vic redesigned the scope. Not about price at all. The re-configured version at $3495 is an absolute bargain. The revised scope now has adjustable flanges for collimation, is a split tube design for binoviewer use without a corrector (which is more costly to produce vs. a mono tube) and now the scope is standard with a FeatherTouch. The scope is a bargain. The reason I decided to remove myself from the wait list is I already have a split tube bino configured scope (the ABV) and don't feel the need for another. So I decided to go in a different direction.

Bottom line, the re-configured SVX127 is a deal. And while Vic has our covers available on the SV website he's not paying me to pump his products. The above ramble is solely my opinion. This is what happens when you've been snowed in for 10 days...you write novels on CloudyNights ;>)

• NC Startrekker likes this

#52 ovgjr

ovgjr

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Cumbra Vieja

Posted 20 February 2021 - 11:18 PM

I have no doubt that the Super Planetary SVX-127D will be spectacular in every way. This will my main scope. I love doublet refractors.

With my limited experience with SV, I have not been disappointed with anything yet. Three refractors, M2C mount and amazing customer service.

#53 ovgjr

ovgjr

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 21 February 2021 - 12:22 AM

"We will know when they leave the land of unicorns and someone points one up at the sky," - and observes the wonders of "Monoceros". 

By then all 100 will be sold.

• Thomas Marshall likes this

#54 DHurst

DHurst

Mariner 2

Posted 22 February 2021 - 09:02 PM

Why is this scope being called ”Super Planetary”?  It’s only f/8.  I think AP’s super planetary was a 6” f/12.  Is it just a name?

Edited by DHurst, 22 February 2021 - 09:02 PM.

#55 bobhen

bobhen

Aurora

Posted Yesterday, 07:42 AM

Why is this scope being called ”Super Planetary”?  It’s only f/8.  I think AP’s super planetary was a 6” f/12.  Is it just a name?

Marketing only. 

Stellarvue used to offer a 102mm F11 achromatic refractor, which I believe was described as a "Planet Killer".

Bob

• Heywood likes this

#56 Heywood

Heywood

Apollo

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 09:57 AM

Who is calling it that?  I don't see that phrase on the Stellarvue website.

#57 DHurst

DHurst

Mariner 2

Posted Yesterday, 10:20 AM

Who is calling it that?  I don't see that phrase on the Stellarvue website.

It was on the January Mailer, and can be found on the main page on one of the thumbnails under the main pic of the SVX127D.

Edited by DHurst, Yesterday, 11:20 AM.

#58 ovgjr

ovgjr

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 01:58 PM

Ask Vic.

#59 Tyson M

Tyson M

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Canada

Posted Yesterday, 02:01 PM

Because it will be "super" on planets.

You're welcome. flowerred.gif

#60 ovgjr

ovgjr

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 02:09 PM

With my limited experience with SV, I have not been disappointed with anything yet. Three refractors, M2C mount and amazing customer service.

Superb service!

#61 DHurst

DHurst

Mariner 2

Posted Yesterday, 05:51 PM

https://www.cloudyni...tach_id=1680752

#62 Heywood

Heywood

Apollo

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 09:23 PM

I am tempted by the SVX127D, but what bothers me about it is that Stellarvue says it will be a "limited edition" of 100 units.  This looks like too-silly marketing to me, to gin up sales quickly, then on to something else.  I mean, if the telescope is a winner, why limit it to 100 units?  I don't see other telescope manufacturers doing this, with the occasional exception by Takahashi. 

#63 ris242

ris242

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Wellington, New Zealand

Posted Yesterday, 09:52 PM

I am tempted by the SVX127D, but what bothers me about it is that Stellarvue says it will be a "limited edition" of 100 units.  This looks like too-silly marketing to me, to gin up sales quickly, then on to something else.  I mean, if the telescope is a winner, why limit it to 100 units?  I don't see other telescope manufacturers doing this, with the occasional exception by Takahashi. 

pull the trigger and you may end up with Serial 101.

series 2 - 101 to 200 lol.gif

• ovgjr likes this

#64 Tyson M

Tyson M

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Canada

Posted Yesterday, 10:03 PM

Most people want faster scopes these days for imaging. I believe the initial run size of 100 units.

• ovgjr likes this

#65 alan.dang

alan.dang

Messenger

Posted Today, 10:38 AM

I am tempted by the SVX127D, but what bothers me about it is that Stellarvue says it will be a "limited edition" of 100 units. This looks like too-silly marketing to me, to gin up sales quickly, then on to something else. I mean, if the telescope is a winner, why limit it to 100 units? I don't see other telescope manufacturers doing this, with the occasional exception by Takahashi.

One of the things I have read is that the cost of large glass blanks is pretty expensive. It’s likely that they bought a batch of 100 large blanks at a “quantity discount” and unless they thought they could sell 200, it would be very expensive to make #101 and purchase a small order.

#66 ovgjr

ovgjr

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted Today, 12:53 PM

All 100 are sold. lol.gif

#67 ovgjr

ovgjr

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted Today, 10:08 PM

I don't want to be too harsh on Stellarvue. As you state, they may very well have good reasons for a "limited edition." And it may be that if sales are really good, the limited edition may not be so limited. I wish them well.

Do you even own a refractor? Are you one of those Stellarvue haters? You have nothing positive to say about the company and complain about the prices. Just get one of those cheap Chinese refractors. I think that's more your style. By the way, has anyone ever told that you look like Grandpa from the old TV series The Munsters? lol.gif

#68 ris242

ris242

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Wellington, New Zealand

Posted Today, 10:45 PM

Do you even own a refractor? Are you one of those Stellarvue haters? You have nothing positive to say about the company and complain about the prices. Just get one of those cheap Chinese refractors. I think that's more your style. By the way, has anyone ever told that you look like Grandpa from the old TV series The Munsters? lol.gif

He's actually Jim Hacker fictitious MP in a 1980's UK Government in a British comedy who in the third series became Prime Minister, and not Al Lewis at all. lol

being Locutus of Borg I wouldn't expect you would know either anyway. Just saying.

Edited by ris242, Today, 10:46 PM.

• ovgjr likes this

#69 ovgjr

ovgjr

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted Today, 10:52 PM

He's actually Jim Hacker fictitious MP in a 1980's UK Government in a British comedy who in the third series became Prime Minister, and not Al Lewis at all. lol

being Locutus of Borg I wouldn't expect you would know either anyway. Just saying.

You will be assimilated. You're right, never liked British comedy, except for "The Meaning of Life" when the fat guy exploded after eating the mint. LOL

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics