•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New to me 80mm coming

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 bulletdodger

bulletdodger

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 January 2021 - 04:15 PM

Bought a Telescope today from Koji Mastumota. It is an older Vixen FL-80s in good condition. Would like to hear from owners or past owners since there is not a ton of info. Read a few reviews from folks on this website and others but I am more interested in personal experiences.

Have been looking for a small color free refractor for a while like a TV 76 or 85 but no one wants to part with one. I know it has some limitations such as the inability to change to a 2 inch focuser, but I have plenty of good 1.25 eyepieces. 

Coming from Japan it will take at least a week to get here so I will post photos then.

Thanks to All who reply!

• Scott in NC, Terra Nova, Simon Alderman and 5 others like this

#2 sportsmed

sportsmed

Mariner 2

• Loc: Hot Springs, AR

Posted 04 January 2021 - 12:53 AM

Congrats on the new scope, I can't comment on it but hope to have a nice 80mm myself at some point. Right now I just enjoy what I can on the ST80 when I use my refractor. Hopefully someone here has used your scope and can help. Clear skies!

• BFaucett and bulletdodger like this

#3 Marcus Roman

Marcus Roman

Ranger 4

Posted 04 January 2021 - 08:16 AM

Bought a Telescope today from Koji Mastumota. It is an older Vixen FL-80s in good condition. Would like to hear from owners or past owners since there is not a ton of info. Read a few reviews from folks on this website and others but I am more interested in personal experiences.

Have been looking for a small color free refractor for a while like a TV 76 or 85 but no one wants to part with one. I know it has some limitations such as the inability to change to a 2 inch focuser, but I have plenty of good 1.25 eyepieces. 

Coming from Japan it will take at least a week to get here so I will post photos then.

Thanks to All who reply!

Great purchase! With its 2,5 kg and a 3" steinheil fluorite objective, it's my most used grab & go apochromat.

It's color free, at my eyes, and it is so well corrected that it is really a joy to use on planets.

It's really a masterpiece for me and I've been using it often from my apartment in the centre of a city like Rome, in this annoying period of alternate quarantine.

Also, I bought several scopes from Koji and he is by far the best professional I ever worked with about Japanese telescopes.

Enjoy!

Edited by Marcus Roman, 04 January 2021 - 02:19 PM.

• payner, Terra Nova, bulletdodger and 2 others like this

#4 bulletdodger

bulletdodger

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 January 2021 - 08:20 PM

Nothing wrong with an ST80. I see you have a  23mm Axiom LX. No coma in your DOB I expect. They are a fantastic and well corrected eyepiece. I love all the Axiom LX's but am missing the 19 in my collection.

Marcus, thank you for your experiences with Koji. I have read some nice things about the FL-80 and have heard you can really push magnification when needed providing skies allow it. Curious to see how it stacked up against your TAK 76. Just missed one on ebay but felt like I got a better deal with Koji since the Tak went for over 1400. 

Thanks so much for your replies!

Bob

• BFaucett likes this

#5 sportsmed

sportsmed

Mariner 2

• Loc: Hot Springs, AR

Posted 05 January 2021 - 12:40 AM

Yea I love the ST80 for what it is, wide views and a small portable scope. And yes the Axiom LX 23mm is a nice eyepiece I really like it. Of course I only use it in my Dob but it puts up some really nice views. I would like to find more Axiom LX EP's and I'm currently on the hunt for the 7mm.

• bulletdodger likes this

#6 Marcus Roman

Marcus Roman

Ranger 4

Posted 05 January 2021 - 06:02 AM

Nothing wrong with an ST80. I see you have a  23mm Axiom LX. No coma in your DOB I expect. They are a fantastic and well corrected eyepiece. I love all the Axiom LX's but am missing the 19 in my collection.

Marcus, thank you for your experiences with Koji. I have read some nice things about the FL-80 and have heard you can really push magnification when needed providing skies allow it. Curious to see how it stacked up against your TAK 76. Just missed one on ebay but felt like I got a better deal with Koji since the Tak went for over 1400. 

Thanks so much for your replies!

Bob

I've both the Takahashi FC76 classic and the Vixen FL80 and they are quite similar - though not identical -  in terms of color correction and star test. Very very similar, very well corrected with no perceptible sphero-chromatism, both Steinheil configuration with fluorite crown behind the flint.  The Tak is heavier.

I was observing Mars this September with my FL80 and it reached easily 200x but also at 130X with its dedicated FL extender (2x) and a CZJ Ortho 10mm and Mars Glass filter, view was very pleasing, no glare, with etched globe perimeter, visible SPC, Syrtis and some other albedo details...

• Terra Nova, bulletdodger, Defenderslideguitar and 1 other like this

#7 bulletdodger

bulletdodger

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 January 2021 - 09:07 AM

Thanks so much Marcus! You have obvious good taste in telescopes I see from your Avatar screen. Makes me feel even better about my purchase.
We made it to Rimini 2 years ago and had a great time in Northern Italy. Southern Italy and Rome is one of our next anticipated trips.

Stay Safe Sir!
  • Marcus Roman likes this

#8 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Cincinnati Metro Area

Posted 05 January 2021 - 11:52 AM

Congratulations! I think you will really enjoy it! Nothing wrong with 80mm scopes! With quality optics, they can show you a lot! That’s a size that encourages use. I love 60mm to 102mm quality short refractors, and the one you are getting will pack a powerful punch for it’s compact size! And good 1.25” eyepieces are just fine. That’s what my Tak FC76 takes and no problem there. In fact, were it not for my FC76, I’d be looking for a Vixen FL80. And lastly, I’m another satisfied customer of  Koji Mastumota and he did the best pack and ship job I have ever experienced! Have fun!!

• payner, BFaucett, bulletdodger and 2 others like this

#9 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 05 January 2021 - 07:23 PM

Hey  good pick up there    So i have said many times   how much I love my Vixen 80fl...

Optically excellent and mechanically good  it is also aesthetically appealing. I also have the big brother   C-102fl   but the Vixen 80fl has that great color scheme  white with Vixen gray green trim....

I especially enjoy low power  wide  sweeping with it. Pop in the RKE 28 or silver top 26 and just cruise around. It did well with the conjunction fitting Jupiter and Saturn in the same field of view before some other scopes.  I use it a lot on the twilight mount. Easy mount but it goes well on  the Super Polaris  or LX 70  Like a FC-76 it can punch above its weight class/ Glad you are getting it. As I said in the craigs ebay thread when Koji listed  it  I would never part with mine, unless I found an old FC-76....and maybe I would keep them both as Marcus points out...…..

enjoy

Some pics in you permit me........

Attached Thumbnails

• Vixen80flFullSizeRender.jpg
  • Vixenfl.jpg
  • 12-22-20JupiterSaturnSasco.jpg

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 05 January 2021 - 07:43 PM.

• payner, Terra Nova, bulletdodger and 1 other like this

#10 Bowlerhat

Bowlerhat

Apollo

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 05 January 2021 - 07:46 PM

Thanks to All who reply!

You're looking at the wrong forum, FL80S belongs in classics forum! And so you're the one who snatched that FL80s, we were talking about it last week.

It is a great telescope for grab and go, pretty light, and does a very good job on high powers. 

Here are some reports from our member Allan Dystrup on FL-80s.

https://www.cloudyni...ch-field/page-8

Here's the optical test result by him as well

https://www.cloudyni...-testing/page-2

Some other reviews, this one is by Damian Peach

https://www.cloudyni...-refractor-r936

Vixen FL80S (1)

• bulletdodger and Marcus Roman like this

#11 bulletdodger

bulletdodger

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 06 January 2021 - 07:21 PM

Yes I have developed that habit of accumulating and not selling as well. I have 2 Prontos for crying out loud. I have no less than 30 or so telescopes and possibly 100 eyepieces. If I truly count them I would have to admit I may have a problem. Now I just live in semi plausible denial.

Thank you all so much for posting your telescopes and experiences. I do have 2 other 80mm's. Would make a fun comparison. My SV AT1010 is like me, semi sharp and full of color. My other is an AP Guide scope with a 900mm FL that is just killer. It is probably my most bang for the buck instrument. It  bested or at least optically tied with a friend's TV85. Now the 85 is a fantastic telescope and at least 1/3 shorter and capable of 2 inch heavy eyepieces so I still consider it superior to the AP. Was trying to find one for years before I came across the FL-80s. Was actually very surprised to learn I was first offer. My odds have been about 100 to 1 lately.

Thanks for the links as well. Surprised not so much written on these. Just when I think I am topical and relevant I realize I'm regulated to being a "classic". At least I am in good company with my old/new scope!

Honored by your collective knowledge!

• sportsmed, BFaucett and Marcus Roman like this

#12 Marcus Roman

Marcus Roman

Ranger 4

Posted 06 January 2021 - 07:44 PM

Yes I have developed that habit of accumulating and not selling as well. I have 2 Prontos for crying out loud. I have no less than 30 or so telescopes and possibly 100 eyepieces. If I truly count them I would have to admit I may have a problem. Now I just live in semi plausible denial.

Thank you all so much for posting your telescopes and experiences. I do have 2 other 80mm's. Would make a fun comparison. My SV AT1010 is like me, semi sharp and full of color. My other is an AP Guide scope with a 900mm FL that is just killer. It is probably my most bang for the buck instrument. It  bested or at least optically tied with a friend's TV85. Now the 85 is a fantastic telescope and at least 1/3 shorter and capable of 2 inch heavy eyepieces so I still consider it superior to the AP. Was trying to find one for years before I came across the FL-80s. Was actually very surprised to learn I was first offer. My odds have been about 100 to 1 lately.

Thanks for the links as well. Surprised not so much written on these. Just when I think I am topical and relevant I realize I'm regulated to being a "classic". At least I am in good company with my old/new scope!

Honored by your collective knowledge!

I understand you Bulletdodger! I have now 3 80mm apo, the FC76, the FL80s and the Mizar FA80, all fluorite steinheil configuration. Can’t depart from them, maybe one day adding the GOTO 80? They are among the few friends I have, never betrayed me looking at the sky! And beautifully crafted as they are, it is a joy just to look at them, ideal spaceships of my dreams...

• bulletdodger likes this

#13 bulletdodger

bulletdodger

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 January 2021 - 12:02 PM

Marcus, that was so nicely worded, Sir!

• Marcus Roman likes this

#14 bulletdodger

bulletdodger

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 January 2021 - 04:06 PM

Received the immaculate condition Vixen FL-80s from Koji Matsumoto today. As other have said the packing was fantastic. Think Japanese tea ceremony precision applied to packing. It must have taken hours to put together as well as including some gifts of Yuzon paper and a beautiful Japanese astronomy magazine.
     When I said immaculate I mean like new. I have gone over it with a fine tooth comb and see no marks or wear whatsoever.
     Koji's ad stated it was in "good condition", which as you all know could mean anything. I normally do not buy anything if it is not described as excellent or like new. Koji also performed a complete refurbishment on the focuser and it feels tight and new.
       I cannot overstate the wonderfulness of the transaction and what a consumate Gentleman Koji was to deal with. He even provided a beautiful warranty form even though it is over 30 years old.
I will be providing some pictures once my mount for it has arrived. I could not find a Vixen GP or SP mount to I decided to honor it with a TAK EM-2 mount recently purchased from Ben Bartine. I have had a couple of transactions with Ben and find him a consummate Gentleman as well.

Edited by bulletdodger, 13 January 2021 - 04:08 PM.

• Scott in NC likes this

#15 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 13 January 2021 - 10:08 PM

Very nice.  I’ve bought a couple of scopes from Koji, and I agree that he’s absolutely fantastic to deal with.  And while I probably use my larger refractors more often, 80mm refractors are way up on my list of favorite scopes.  I’m looking forward to seeing pictures of your “new” FL-80s.  Congrats!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics