•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Deep Sky Imaging with a 180 Maksutov Cassegrain

astrophotography Orion observing eyepieces double star cassegrain accessories catadioptric imaging Maksutov
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 HotRod217

HotRod217

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 January 2021 - 04:03 PM

Hello everyone, 

I am planning to get the Orion 180 mm Maksutov-Cassegrain telescope. Is it possible to image or see brighter deep sky objects by using a focal reducer? It's has a focal length of 2700mm and a focal ratio of f/15.0.

#2 JEPott

JEPott

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Asheville, NC

Posted 05 January 2021 - 04:09 PM

I can't say to much on this as I am still new to AP but I do know that you will need a lot more acquisition time to get good results as this is an f/15.0 scope... but it should be possible.

#3 Bean614

Bean614

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 05 January 2021 - 04:15 PM

You can 'see' LOTS of DSO's with a 7 inch Mak!

#4 Eric Seavey

Eric Seavey

Viking 1

• Loc: Irvine, California

Posted 05 January 2021 - 04:16 PM

It is a good scope for small bright targets such as planets and small bright planetary nebulae (Blue Snowball or Saturn Nebula).  Although, larger aperture will resolve more detail with a SCT such as a Celestron C8, C9.25 or C11, or Meade LX200 ACF scopes. 

#5 photoracer18

photoracer18

Soyuz

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 05 January 2021 - 04:40 PM

Most attempts to use focal reducers on MCTs usually is on Rumaks which have F-ratios in the F10-F12 range because the f-ratios are similar to the SCTs the reducers are meant to be used on. Companies like Intes in Russia did make focal reducers in the 0.55x-0.6x range for their MCTs but no one seems to know what F-ratios they were designed for (I have an Intes 0.6x model). All the one I have seen have SCT threads on them so they are designed for moving mirror focusing Maks not fixed optic ones. Does not stop someone from putting an SCT>2" adapter on one and sticking it into the focuser of a fixed optics one. May or may not reach focus that way (I have never tried even though I have the parts to do it with and to try an SCT one).

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, Orion, observing, eyepieces, double star, cassegrain, accessories, catadioptric, imaging, Maksutov

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics