•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Finder Shoe for AT60ED?

accessories equipment refractor
  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• topic starter
  • Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 07 January 2021 - 09:17 AM

AFAIK, the Astro-Tech Finderscope Mounting Shoe (ATSHOE) is the only finder shoe that will fit the AT60ED.  Unfortunately, it virtually never seems to be in stock.  And when it does come back in stock, I've always missed reordering it.  shrug.gif

Astro-Tech Finderscope Mounting Shoe  https://www.astronom...nting-shoe.html

Does anyone know of an alternative finder shoe that will fit the AT60ED?  I know some would call the AT60ED a finder - and it could be used as one.  But I like to have at least a laser finder on a telescope, no matter how small it is.  It makes for much quicker and easier sighting of the object.

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 07 January 2021 - 09:55 AM.

#2 qswat72

qswat72

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 07 January 2021 - 09:30 AM

I’m in the same boat as you, looking for a finder shoe. Hope to hear some good responses!
  • Sarkikos likes this

#3 Joe Bergeron

Joe Bergeron

Vendor - Space Art

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 07 January 2021 - 09:46 AM

The Astro-Tech shoes are identical to many sold by other outlets, including Astromania, which can be found on Amazon. I bought a couple of those when I had difficulty getting them from Astronomics. 

• Larry Adams and BFaucett like this

#4 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 07 January 2021 - 09:49 AM

The Astro-Tech shoes are identical to many sold by other outlets, including Astromania, which can be found on Amazon. I bought a couple of those when I had difficulty getting them from Astronomics. 

Will they fit the AT60ED specifically?  I've tried other finder shoes from other companies, and they won't fit the AT60ED.  IIRC, the main problem is that the other shoes are too high.  It's been awhile since I've visited this problem.

Can you post a link to a finder shoe that you know will fit the AT60ED?

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 07 January 2021 - 09:51 AM.

#5 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 07 January 2021 - 10:00 AM

This finder shoe from Astromania looks like the Astro-Tech.  https://astromaniaop...pointer-bracket

The ad description at Astromania says "This specialized dovetail mounting base fits factory drilled holes on most Meade, C elestron, and Orion Schmidt-Cassegrain telescopes."  However, it also says it is a "unversal" finder shoe.

So will it fit the AT60ED?  

Hey, wait a minute!  It's sold out ... mad.gif

But it's available on Amazon and eBay!  smile.gif

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 07 January 2021 - 10:01 AM.

#6 cst4

cst4

Viking 1

Posted 07 January 2021 - 10:04 AM

The ones like this with 4 slots are great.  They fit everything I've tried to put them on.  Just need the right screws for your scope holes.

Edited by cst4, 07 January 2021 - 10:04 AM.

#7 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 07 January 2021 - 10:10 AM

The ones like this with 4 slots are great.  They fit everything I've tried to put them on.  Just need the right screws for your scope holes.

The AT60ED includes screws already in the holes, but might need longer ones to connect the finder shoe.  Just don't use screws that are too long or you could mar the draw tube.

I didn't see the finder shoes at HPS.  Looks like they'll fit.  

I already ordered a couple shoes through Alstar on Amazon.  Should arrive next Tuesday. 

The ones at HPS are a buck cheaper.  But they want to charge at least $11.14 shipping.  Free shipping at Amazon, and I got a dollar off. 

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 07 January 2021 - 10:14 AM.

#8 qswat72

qswat72

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 07 January 2021 - 10:13 AM

The AT60ED includes screws already in the holes, but might need longer ones to connect the finder shoe. Just don't use screws that are too long or you could mar the draw tube.

I didn't see the finder shoes at HPS. Looks like they'll fit.

I already ordered a couple shoes through Alstar on Amazon. Should arrive next Tuesday. The ones at HPS are a buck cheaper. But I got a dollar off at Amazon. :shrug:

Mike

Might even be cheaper from Amazon. I believe you have to pay shipping for HPS as well.

#9 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 07 January 2021 - 10:17 AM

Yes, you're right about the shipping.  I found that out after I put a couple of the shoes in the cart at HPS.

Mike

#10 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 07 January 2021 - 12:07 PM

I'll put both finder shoes on the AT60ED, one for the left side, one for the right.  Overkill for a little 60mm?  Not if you want flexibility. 

The optimal location for a finder might change depending on which mount the AT60ED is on. 

Or I might want both a laser finder and a little 6x30 right angle finder.  I like to avoid a "finder eyepiece" in the telescope.  Especially when I'm observing double stars, where higher magnification is needed, I want to go right to high power without a preliminary low power "finder eyepiece."

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 07 January 2021 - 12:12 PM.

#11 Joe Bergeron

Joe Bergeron

Vendor - Space Art

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 07 January 2021 - 01:28 PM

I also put both on mine. They will usually hold a guide scope and an ASIair. 

• Sarkikos likes this

#12 qswat72

qswat72

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 07 January 2021 - 01:41 PM

I'll put both finder shoes on the AT60ED, one for the left side, one for the right. Overkill for a little 60mm? Not if you want flexibility.

This is currently my plan as well. I’d like to mount a guide scope, as well as possibly a Telrad on the two mounting points.
  • Sarkikos likes this

#13 Don Taylor

Don Taylor

Apollo

• Loc: Broken Arrow (Tulsa Area) Oklahoma

Posted 07 January 2021 - 09:12 PM

If you haven't found one yet - I believe this one is the same as the Astronomics offering:

https://agenaastro.c...nder-xfurb.html

I have purchased the one above and also the one from Astronomics and my samples are identical. I note that the small diameter of the AT60 focuser means the screws clamp the bracket to the focuser while leaving very small gaps between the "rails" along the edges of the bracket and the focuser itself. Both the Agena and Astronomics brackets do that. 

The following one looks identical as well - but I haven't purchased this one so I can't confirm that:

https://agenaastro.c...bafm-st001.html

850 4700 4148

Edited by Don Taylor, 07 January 2021 - 09:13 PM.

• Sarkikos, BFaucett and qswat72 like this

#14 Jaimo!

Jaimo!

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: 3rd Stone from the Sun

Posted 07 January 2021 - 10:26 PM

I also put both on mine. They will usually hold a guide scope and an ASIair. 

Mike, I have the WO Z61, same scope, different label.  I use the inexpensive 4 slot shoe as linked above, I believe I got mine off ebay, direct from SVbony in China.  I bought a bunch of them, couldn't have been more than 10 or 12 dollars a piece (maybe less).

Here's a close-up as I had this scope out this evening:

PXL_20210108_030530319 - small.jpg

Here's the full kit:

Z61 for Imaging - small.jpg

• Sarkikos and jerr like this

#15 Joe Bergeron

Joe Bergeron

Vendor - Space Art

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 08 January 2021 - 12:02 AM

If you haven't found one yet - I believe this one is the same as the Astronomics offering:

https://agenaastro.c...nder-xfurb.html

I have purchased the one above and also the one from Astronomics and my samples are identical. I note that the small diameter of the AT60 focuser means the screws clamp the bracket to the focuser while leaving very small gaps between the "rails" along the edges of the bracket and the focuser itself. Both the Agena and Astronomics brackets do that. 

Yup. What I did was stick some fuzzy Velcro on those rails or legs so they would contact the focuser body. 

• BFaucett likes this

#16 paulw617

paulw617

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 08 January 2021 - 09:44 AM

Thanks so much for the info.  Just ordered the Astromania from Amazon.  Arrives tomorrow.  

• Sarkikos and BFaucett like this

#17 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 12 January 2021 - 07:17 AM

The Alstar finder shoes from Amazon arrived yesterday, a day early.  I attached them to my AT60ED using the screws that were on the scope.  They are solid and secure, though the edges of the finder shoes do not contact the OTA.  I might or might not add some kind of base below the shoes to take up the slack.  Thick black, foam sheeting should do the trick.  But I'll only attach light finders to the shoes, like a laser finder, 6x30 RACI or red-dot finder.  So I really don't think it makes a difference.

At this point, I have two finder shoes on all of my refractors that can take two finder shoes.

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 12 January 2021 - 07:17 AM.

• duck2k likes this

#18 jerr

jerr

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Czarny Las, Poland

Posted 12 January 2021 - 08:06 AM

I was facing same challenge looking for a guide scope bracket for my old ZS66. Here is what I've found:

https://www.aliexpre....3c2634ecxged6O

https://www.aliexpre...3c00WqJju9&mp=1

What's important, a bottom part of the bracket is curved and may nicely fit (that is what I hope for) curvation of the focuser. So, potentially no scuffs and scratches.

I've placed on order for one of them and awaiting delivery. Will see in 3 weeks.

• Jaimo! and Sarkikos like this

#19 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 12 January 2021 - 10:07 AM

The Alstar finder shoes from Amazon only contact the focuser of the AT60ED longitudinally.  There is a small gap between shoe and focuser laterally.  So there are no hard edges in contact with the focuser.  There would only be a chance of scuffs and scratches if the finder shoe was designed for a smaller scope.

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 12 January 2021 - 10:08 AM.

#20 paulw617

paulw617

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 January 2021 - 10:59 AM

I ended up getting the Everest Universal Dovetail Base from Amazon ($1 cheaper than the Alstar) and works great with my ZWO MiniScope attached to my AT72EDii.

• Sarkikos likes this

#21 swsantos

swsantos

Ranger 4

• Loc: Rhode Island

Posted Yesterday, 11:57 PM

Found a great finder shoe for the AT60ED! 

The PrimaLuceLab DX Finder Base.

https://optcorp.com/...airy-refractors

IMG_2757 (Medium).JPG

It has a curved base,

IMG_2759 (Medium).JPG

it matches the red details of the scope,

IMG_2761 (Medium).JPG

and the curvature closely matches the radius of the focuser.

Attaches with the stock hex screws that come on the focuser so no worries about too long and the screws that secure the finder have nice nylon tips.

• Sarkikos, jerr, NC Startrekker and 2 others like this

#22 BFaucett

BFaucett

Vanguard

• Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted Today, 12:14 AM

Found a great finder shoe for the AT60ED! 

The PrimaLuceLab DX Finder Base.

https://optcorp.com/...airy-refractors

...<snip>...

Cool! I like the matching color. I think I'll order one. Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers! Bob F. smile.gif

Edit to add: I did order one.

Edited by BFaucett, Today, 02:52 PM.

#23 jerr

jerr

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Czarny Las, Poland

Posted Today, 07:05 AM

Nice!

I wish I spotted this before I ordered black ones :(

#24 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• topic starter

Posted Today, 08:26 AM

Nice!

I wish I spotted this before I ordered black ones frown.gif

They all look the same in the dark.

The edges of the PrimaLuca red bases look like they don't contact the OTA.  Does this really match the curvature of the AT60ED?  Maybe it matches better than the black bases?

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, Today, 08:30 AM.

#25 duck2k

duck2k

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Fountain Hills, AZ

Posted Today, 11:28 AM

Just ordered one!:)

• BFaucett likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, equipment, refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics