•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ASIAIR Pro & Skywatcher EQM35 Pro

astrophotography equipment mount
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 griwei

griwei

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: London, Canada

Posted 07 January 2021 - 11:10 PM

Has anybody had consistent success with an EQM35 Pro mount and ASIAIR Pro?

I haven’t.

I’ve had success with ASIAIR Pros and a CGEM DX, the HEQ5 Pro, and the iOptron CEM25, CEM60, and iEQ30.  Each of the have their quirks, but once a specific routine is worked out, things run very smoothly.

The mount is less than two months old and I ensured that the SynScan hand controller firmware was updated as soon as it arrived.  Following others’ advice, I’ve connected that hand controller to the ASIAIR Pro with a USB 2.0 cable, rather than connecting the mount directly to the ASIAIR Pro (which is how to do it with the HEQ5’s).

After completing a nominal 3-star alignment! I select the “SynScan” option from the ASIAIR Pro’s mount menu and connect.  Everything seems to work fine - including slewing to targets - but then, out of the blue, the mount doesn’t slew anymore. The ASIAIR indicates that a slew is taking place, which takes as long as it would if the mount had actually moved. Once the ASIAIR Pro thinks it has arrived at its target, it even attempts to perform a plate-solving exercise to centre the target (just like normal), except that it isn’t anywhere close, so wherever the ASIAIR Pro thinks it is (as it performs a phantom slew-and-and-centre exercise) has no connection with reality. 

Turning everything off and starting over (including manually returning the mount to zero and performing a new 3-star alignment) sometimes fixes this problem and sometimes it doesn’t.  I’ve tried having the mount physically connected to the ASIAIR Pro with the latter turned on when I start over, and I’ve tried doing it with the ASIAIR Pro turned off and/or the USB cable disconnected when I start over. I’m also always sure to ensure that the handset is disconnected from everything before commencing a restart (as I assume that leaving it connected to either the mount or the ASIAIR Pro, if powered on, would frustrate the restarting exercise).

I’ve also tried different cables and ensured that the mount is powered by a separate, reliable 12v source, rather than being powered via the ASIAIR Pro (even thought this small mount shouldn’t draw enough amperage anyway).

This particular ASIAIR Pro has had its firmware updated recently and has been used successfully with other mounts. The mount seems to perform its alignments correctly most of the time, although occasionally it has acted as though it thinks it’s in China rather than Canada, seeking to align with objects below the horizon. That’s happened twice, resolved (at least for the time being) by a factory reset.  

Oh, and since I purchased an HEQ 5 Pro at the same time as the EQM35 Pro I have two identical, new, and updated, SynScan remotes. I’ve tried both. Hasn’t made a discernible difference.

So, what do you think is wrong (either with me or the equipment)?

#2 lambermo

lambermo

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: .nl

Posted 08 January 2021 - 06:31 AM

Does the mount device driver have a debug or log option ? It sounds as if the communication is interrupted and such a log file might confirm that which would help you pinpoint the problem. (I have no ASIAIR nor an EQM35 Pro)

#3 trycatchfinally

trycatchfinally

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 09 June 2021 - 09:58 PM

Hi - is this a common problem with ASIAIR Pro + EQM-35 Pro mount? I'm researching for small goto mounts for my Redcat but I really need it to work with ASIAIR Pro.

I hope someone can share their experience.

Thanks!

#4 trycatchfinally

trycatchfinally

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 09 June 2021 - 09:59 PM

Has anybody had consistent success with an EQM35 Pro mount and ASIAIR Pro?

I haven’t.

I’ve had success with ASIAIR Pros and a CGEM DX, the HEQ5 Pro, and the iOptron CEM25, CEM60, and iEQ30. Each of the have their quirks, but once a specific routine is worked out, things run very smoothly.

The mount is less than two months old and I ensured that the SynScan hand controller firmware was updated as soon as it arrived. Following others’ advice, I’ve connected that hand controller to the ASIAIR Pro with a USB 2.0 cable, rather than connecting the mount directly to the ASIAIR Pro (which is how to do it with the HEQ5’s).

After completing a nominal 3-star alignment! I select the “SynScan” option from the ASIAIR Pro’s mount menu and connect. Everything seems to work fine - including slewing to targets - but then, out of the blue, the mount doesn’t slew anymore. The ASIAIR indicates that a slew is taking place, which takes as long as it would if the mount had actually moved. Once the ASIAIR Pro thinks it has arrived at its target, it even attempts to perform a plate-solving exercise to centre the target (just like normal), except that it isn’t anywhere close, so wherever the ASIAIR Pro thinks it is (as it performs a phantom slew-and-and-centre exercise) has no connection with reality.

Turning everything off and starting over (including manually returning the mount to zero and performing a new 3-star alignment) sometimes fixes this problem and sometimes it doesn’t. I’ve tried having the mount physically connected to the ASIAIR Pro with the latter turned on when I start over, and I’ve tried doing it with the ASIAIR Pro turned off and/or the USB cable disconnected when I start over. I’m also always sure to ensure that the handset is disconnected from everything before commencing a restart (as I assume that leaving it connected to either the mount or the ASIAIR Pro, if powered on, would frustrate the restarting exercise).

I’ve also tried different cables and ensured that the mount is powered by a separate, reliable 12v source, rather than being powered via the ASIAIR Pro (even thought this small mount shouldn’t draw enough amperage anyway).

This particular ASIAIR Pro has had its firmware updated recently and has been used successfully with other mounts. The mount seems to perform its alignments correctly most of the time, although occasionally it has acted as though it thinks it’s in China rather than Canada, seeking to align with objects below the horizon. That’s happened twice, resolved (at least for the time being) by a factory reset.

Oh, and since I purchased an HEQ 5 Pro at the same time as the EQM35 Pro I have two identical, new, and updated, SynScan remotes. I’ve tried both. Hasn’t made a discernible difference.

So, what do you think is wrong (either with me or the equipment)?

Hi, did you get to resolve the issue you were having?

#5 Dwight J

Dwight J

Soyuz

• Loc: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Posted 09 June 2021 - 11:28 PM

I found, using an EQ3 SynScan Pro, that I had intermittent luck.  On the mount page of the ASiair Pro it does state that you should not select Daylight Savings Time and enter one less timezone like for me 6 rather than 7.  I have had clouds since my last use so I haven’t had a chance to see if this helps.  I guess you change it after the 3 star alignment and going to home position.  It would slew at two different speeds when doing the polar alignment routine and show “0” movement on the app.  I tried slewing to Deneb and it went to about what looked like 1 hr. of RA behind it so the DST and time zone thing might be what has to be done.  Another thing is I had changed what usb port I had used so that might have an effect.  Maybe an EQMOD cable too.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, equipment, mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics