•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nothing to do? Want to practice processing?

• Please log in to reply
705 replies to this topic

#676 the Elf

the Elf

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 19 January 2022 - 03:54 AM

Oh ya want green eh?

I made another run at Elf's M42.  I still found the colors interesting.  Very much an appearance of teal/gray/green in the core and lighter nebula, though checking MaxRGB I only left true green near the Trap.  I think Ivo has mentioned that is entirely appropriate for M42, possibly somewhere earlier in this very thread?  In any event, I did play with the channel balances to see if I could make it "grayer" as my own data is there lately, but could not.  That has me wondering how Elf sort of bleached his out.  The bright white he has does look kind of nice, and almost backlights the darker structure.

But I went for a richer look here, obviously.  smile.gif  As well as a wider crop.  I really didn't want to crop at all, but then felt I had to on the left, and that made me crop tiny bits around the other edges too, in order to maintain somewhat of a rectangle.  But I didn't like doing so, as there are just so many cool stars here.  Anyway, I also tried to reveal a decent amount of the surrounding dustiness.  Getting away from M42 main, it becomes a bit choppy and broken, and I think more integration would help fill that in.  Really quite a nice display of dust in just two hours from that latitude.  I didn't pick up nearly so much dust myself.  Or, perhaps I did, but it was lost in my light leaks.  tongue2.gif

Thanks for posting, Elf!

gallery_345094_15786_155257.jpg

You see that green line in M43?

M43_crop.jpg

In almost all images on the web the thing is just a red circle. I have never seen that green thing before. Has anyone seen it before other than in my data? I was wondering if it is a reflection or some other artifact.

In Hubble images it is just dark dust.

https://www.messier-...mairans-nebula/

I think my processing is way off. It should be brown, not green. I'm still hoping to collect more data, then I will redo the processing.

Edited by the Elf, 19 January 2022 - 03:56 AM.

#677 Mike in Rancho

Mike in Rancho

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Alta Loma, CA

Posted 19 January 2022 - 04:36 AM

attachicon.gifM43_crop.jpg

In almost all images on the web the thing is just a red circle. I have never seen that green thing before. Has anyone seen it before other than in my data? I was wondering if it is a reflection or some other artifact.

I think my processing is way off. It should be brown, not green. I'm still hoping to collect more data, then I will redo the processing.

Well you're right.  Interesting.  I noticed it of course, but just went with it.  Also didn't know that was actually M43, so education for me too! laugh.gif

Here's my latest data on M42, cropped deep, only a 610mm Newt I'm fighting with.  Hopefully I'll get replacement data on this after fixing my light leaks.

M42 3pt5h CFA drizzle M43 deep.jpg

The structure seems to match up as real, just that yours is aqua.

But as both Freddy and I both noticed, some other colors seem off too.  Nothing weird done in the stacking, like channel neutralizing or colormetricking or anything?

I will go check my unmodded cam M42 data from last year when I flip open the laptop again.

#678 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Cosmos

• Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 20 January 2022 - 01:18 AM

attachicon.gifM43_crop.jpg

Yesterday i processed my M42 taken under horrenduous moonlight wich was taxing for the nebulosity but M43 was red, not green...indeed.

#679 the Elf

the Elf

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 20 January 2022 - 04:30 AM

Got to track that issue when I have new data. For the time being I see nothing but clouds, rain and hail. :-(

#680 Pingu

Pingu

Vostok 1

• Loc: FL

Posted 21 January 2022 - 10:59 AM

Thank you Mr. Elf.  This was very fun and your data is absolutely superb.  Hope to nail down my SNR as good as yours one day.  I had a go at M51.  Enjoy, have a great day and a huge thumbs up to ya. waytogo.gif .

Attached Thumbnails

• M51.jpg

• F.Meiresonne, the Elf and Mike in Rancho like this

#681 Mike in Rancho

Mike in Rancho

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 21 January 2022 - 11:37 PM

Mike, that's a really nice edit of Eyal's data. You got some subtle blue around the central structure, and looking closely, it seems like perhaps an Ha region in the blue on the left side?

If anyone wants to try another data set, I've got SHO data on the Soul here: https://drive.google...3Fg?usp=sharing

Converted the masters to FITS for you non-PI editors smile.gif. No, I don't have anything hidden... at least not intentionally. There are the master lights for each channel along with a single sub for each. Note, the masters are 2x drizzled, so rather large images. I did crop away about 4% in height and width to get rid of stacking artifacts from dithering the data. That's the only edit done to the masters.

Edit: I put the non-drizzled masters for S2, Ha and O3 up as well. Those are just out of WBPP. No crop. No anything (other than being converted to FITS and re-named).

Thanks for posting the data!  smile.gif   Did I miss the thread when you finished this last month?  Maybe I'm starting to have senior moments...

I ended up clicking on the files that seemed "normal," which turned out to be the biggie pixel ones.  Didn't select the non-drizzle or the subs, though I am very curious about the sub taken with your O2 filter.  Very refreshing.  tongue2.gif

Immediately binned it down to about 2500 x 1600, which seemed to be pretty good for going easier on my computer and mostly within the capabilities of my monitor.  At 15 hours, this turned out to be some awfully nice Soul data.  I'm often not a big fan of the Soul, despite its popularity, as it is frequently pretty broken up and mottled, especially HOO.  Not here though, really.

JB covered the green tinting pretty well in his version, so I went with a more rusty mapping.  As JB did also, I didn't turn the centers into deep pools of blue, but allowed some other coloring to come through in the balance.  Ditto with the smoothing.  Though there is in fact detail there to be enhanced, I went light on the local contrast/HDR to keep the transitions a bit softer.

I would have liked more magenta stars, for Eyal of course, but they didn't really show up. tongue2.gif

In revealing the OIII though, the light blue (grayish really) does also enhance around the main target edges and scattered about the periphery too.  No big deal, I've seen that on quite a few targets and it is what it is.  But a number of Soul versions don't have that, despite pushing the center into deep OIII blue, which has me wondering.  Is it the way I mapped it, or the way other versions are processed?  confused1.gif  Well, I may experiment some more.

So much detail in this data meant really crushing it down for CN worse than most, 1280 wide and 91% jpg compression to get under 500kb.  The 2400-wide tiff actually holds up pretty well and shows quite a bit of nice small detail, but of course it's also 23Mb.  Oh well.

gallery_345094_15786_231990.jpg

• the Elf and jonnybravo0311 like this

#682 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Cosmos

Posted 22 January 2022 - 10:25 AM

Guess i missed this completely...

Here is my go at it. Not used to SHO processing.

@Mike, boy you sure boosted up the coloring!

@Johny : data was incredible, processing got easy, and tons of detail ...!

Attached Thumbnails

• Soul2.jpg

• the Elf, Mike in Rancho and jonnybravo0311 like this

#683 Pingu

Pingu

Vostok 1

Posted 22 January 2022 - 04:56 PM

Very good data to process.  I had fun working it.  Thanks Mr. Elf.

Attached Thumbnails

• M31.jpg

#684 Pingu

Pingu

Vostok 1

Posted 22 January 2022 - 11:33 PM

Another nice image of M33.  I pulled a bit to much lum from stars evident within the galaxy.  But I had a great time processing.  Very easy with good data.  Thanks Mr. Elf. 

Attached Thumbnails

• M33 Triangulum Galaxy.jpg

#685 Mike in Rancho

Mike in Rancho

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 23 January 2022 - 03:03 PM

Guess i missed this completely...

Here is my go at it. Not used to SHO processing.

@Mike, boy you sure boosted up the coloring!

@Johny : data was incredible, processing got easy, and tons of detail ...!

A little bit I suppose. wink.gif

My personal view is that NB data (including many duoband) is inherently false color, so sort of a free-for-all from the get go, as it's just specific wavelengths emitted by elements.  Might as well show off what took all that work to collect.  So, really just a matter of preference about how much to reveal because it is interesting, as well as how it looks overall for aesthetic purposes.  Too much saturation can kind of bleed though, and swallow up detail, so backing off is sometimes needed.  I find red is particularly susceptible to causing loss of detail when cooked too much.  Might be a perceptual/human vision thing?

#686 mackiedlm

mackiedlm

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Galway, Ireland

Posted 26 January 2022 - 05:23 AM

I've been away from this thread for a while but great to see its still thriving.

I want to give Eyals's dragons a go but cant find the post withing the 28 pagesfrown.gif

But @jonnybravo0311 's Soul data is really nice so I gave it a go.

I'm very much a OSC imager with only forays into dual band (L-enhance) processing, so this full SHO is a challenge for me. I expect that some of you will say its too green but honestly I like seeing the greens in Hubble pallet - I just feel it should be there.

Any, suggestions for improvement would be appreciated.

This was done in PI with some finishing touches in PS

Great data Jonny - thanks for sharing.

JB_soul_2.jpg

PS - it looks a bit harsher on here than when I processed it - perhaps the crunching to fit is not helping but it looked a little better at full res.

Edited by mackiedlm, 26 January 2022 - 02:47 PM.

• imtl, Mike in Rancho and jonnybravo0311 like this

#687 imtl

imtl

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Down in a hole

Posted 26 January 2022 - 07:00 AM

I've been away from this thread for a while but great to see its still thriving.

I want to give Eyals's dragons a go but cant find the post withing the 28 pagesfrown.gif

There you go :D
https://www.cloudyni...ing/?p=10834318
  • mackiedlm likes this

#688 Pingu

Pingu

Vostok 1

Posted 26 January 2022 - 07:25 PM

Another wonderful shot of M27!  Thanks again Mr. Elf.

Attached Thumbnails

• M27 DumbbellNebula.jpg

#689 the Elf

the Elf

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 27 January 2022 - 03:10 AM

Pingu,

well done. Is this all three data sets, OSC, Ha and O-III?

#690 Pingu

Pingu

Vostok 1

Posted 27 January 2022 - 03:29 PM

No sir. This is only your OSC data. Not sure if you did any noise reduction prior to sharing your data but it is amazing!

#691 the Elf

the Elf

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 27 January 2022 - 04:34 PM

No, Sir! There is no noise reduction.

#692 mackiedlm

mackiedlm

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 01 February 2022 - 07:01 AM

The Fighting Dragons is one of the targets that I'll never manage to capture at my latitude so this was a treat to get to process @imtl 's data - thanks Eyal

For some reason I could not get the panels to even register in Pixinsight so ended up doing the mosaics in APP which I find does mosaics really well. After that it was into Pixinsight and a failrly standard LRGB process.

C&C on the process would be very welcome

Full res version is here because the stars in the  small jpg look a bit odd - too sharp

get.jpg?insecure

recombF.jpg

Edited by mackiedlm, 01 February 2022 - 07:54 AM.

• ntph and imtl like this

#693 imtl

imtl

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators

Posted 01 February 2022 - 07:11 AM

The Fighting Dragons is one of the targets that I'll never manage to capture at my latitude so this was a treat to get to process @imtl 's data - thanks Eyal

For some reason I could not get the panels to even register in Pixinsight so ended up doing the mosaics in APP which I find does mosaics really well. After that it was into Pixinsight and a failrly standard LRGB process.

C&C on the process would be very welcome

Full res version is here because the stars in the  small jpg look a bit odd - too sharp

get.jpg?insecure

attachicon.gifrecombF.jpg

Glad you enjoyed. I don't know what did you try and do in PI to register the panels but if you want any help just let me know.

Not really sure what you mean by fairly standard LRGB since I don't know if there is one. Especially not with PI.

• mackiedlm likes this

#694 mackiedlm

mackiedlm

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 01 February 2022 - 07:56 AM

Glad you enjoyed. I don't know what did you try and do in PI to register the panels but if you want any help just let me know.

Not really sure what you mean by fairly standard LRGB since I don't know if there is one. Especially not with PI.

I just tried normal registration using StarAlignment (like I've done many times before with no issue) but it failed immediately - I cant remember what the error message was. But its fine - no need to dig into it now but if I have an issue in the future I'll ask.

I'm OSC so what I mean is what I "think" a standard LRGB process would be - if I processed LRGB more often.

After building the mosaics and registering and cropping the final panels (which went with no trouble) did DBE on all 4 then combined the RGB

On the L I did Deconvolution and EZDnoise, stretched with HT, CT, TGVD, MLT to sharpen, LHE.

On RGB I took out the Stars with StarXterminator, Stretched starless with HT, boosted contrast and SAT with CT, same with the stars then recombined in pixelmath

Blurred the RGB with convolution, boosted sat in CT combined with the L using LRGBcombine

Into PS for a selective high pass routine and tweaks to reduce some of the too purple stars and save as a teeny jpg.

And that was pretty much it

PS I did a further tweak on the image in ABin to reduce some of the purple in the bright stars.

Edited by mackiedlm, 01 February 2022 - 08:03 AM.

#695 imtl

imtl

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators

Posted 01 February 2022 - 08:37 AM

I just tried normal registration using StarAlignment (like I've done many times before with no issue) but it failed immediately - I cant remember what the error message was. But its fine - no need to dig into it now but if I have an issue in the future I'll ask.

I'm OSC so what I mean is what I "think" a standard LRGB process would be - if I processed LRGB more often.

After building the mosaics and registering and cropping the final panels (which went with no trouble) did DBE on all 4 then combined the RGB

On the L I did Deconvolution and EZDnoise, stretched with HT, CT, TGVD, MLT to sharpen, LHE.

On RGB I took out the Stars with StarXterminator, Stretched starless with HT, boosted contrast and SAT with CT, same with the stars then recombined in pixelmath

Blurred the RGB with convolution, boosted sat in CT combined with the L using LRGBcombine

Into PS for a selective high pass routine and tweaks to reduce some of the too purple stars and save as a teeny jpg.

And that was pretty much it

PS I did a further tweak on the image in ABin to reduce some of the purple in the bright stars.

waytogo.gif

I assume you mean you used Ha as L?

• mackiedlm likes this

#696 mackiedlm

mackiedlm

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 01 February 2022 - 09:16 AM

waytogo.gif

I assume you mean you used Ha as L?

Yes thats correct. smile.gif I thought about adding it to the R but decided to try it as lum - I think its come out OK?

Edited by mackiedlm, 01 February 2022 - 09:18 AM.

• imtl likes this

#697 imtl

imtl

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators

Posted 01 February 2022 - 09:35 AM

Yes thats correct. smile.gif I thought about adding it to the R but decided to try it as lum - I think its come out OK?

I don't think there is right or wrong. Now it is a matter of personal style. You sure got a dramatic effect smile.gif But the dragons are classic target for that.
You can compare it to what I got with my processing to see what you like or not. There might be more data to dig out with your image.

get.jpg?insecure

#698 mackiedlm

mackiedlm

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 01 February 2022 - 10:05 AM

I don't think there is right or wrong. Now it is a matter of personal style. You sure got a dramatic effect smile.gif But the dragons are classic target for that.
You can compare it to what I got with my processing to see what you like or not. There might be more data to dig out with your image.

get.jpg?insecure

Hehe! I do like a bit of drama lol.gif - why I keep reading threads about OAG v's Guidescope popcorn.gif

I think some people tend to forget that at the end an AP image is largely about personal taste and style - we do so much manipulation of the data, make so many choices through the process, there is no right or wrong outcome, just one persons interpretation. And I think thats great. I dont think we should all be trying to get exactly the same result from the same data.

Thanks again for putting up the data - I may take a go at either your tarantula or your CenA data next - Unbroken cloud in Ireland for the foreseeable!

• ntph and imtl like this

#699 imtl

imtl

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators

Posted 01 February 2022 - 10:13 AM

Hehe! I do like a bit of drama lol.gif - why I keep reading threads about OAG v's Guidescope popcorn.gif

I think some people tend to forget that at the end an AP image is largely about personal taste and style - we do so much manipulation of the data, make so many choices through the process, there is no right or wrong outcome, just one persons interpretation. And I think thats great. I dont think we should all be trying to get exactly the same result from the same data.

Thanks again for putting up the data - I may take a go at either your tarantula or your CenA data next - Unbroken cloud in Ireland for the foreseeable!

Sure thing my friend! Have fun with it! :D

#700 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Cosmos

Posted 04 February 2022 - 11:27 AM

Another try at 'The Elf' latest M42.

A couple of remarks 

- i try to process it as much as i could like i did mine

- the stack comes in very red, when i check the color in the wipe module, mine as yellowish-green.

- also a lot of dust , even more then in my stack although a bit less integration time

- then adding color i had issues with green, suddenly much greenish blue is seen, and this time M43 had that green cast.Eventually pushed to the blue in GIMP.

Things i don't understand 

-  My stack : going in the color module my M42 had alot of green, stacked in DSS did turn up a more normal white M42

still i could process it away quite easy.

- I used about thesame HDR setting for both stacks, but i am under the impression still there seems to be a little more detail revealed in my own M42, unless i am seeing it wrong.

- so it seems that even using thesame camera and same stacking program...the outcome may differ quite alot...

Strange that both stacks were stacked in PI but it seems the outcome was very different . I use completely WBPP, default settings. I never would have expected that stacking had such an influence in the final result ....

Attached Thumbnails

• TheElfsM42Gimp.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics