•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Comparison Antlia 3nm Ha filter to Baader 7nm Ha filter

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Joe G

Joe G

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 09 January 2021 - 12:44 PM

After some frustration with reflections from my Baader 7nm Ha filter as explained in this link, I decided to buy the new Antlia 3nm Ha filter.

https://www.cloudyni...ldnt-use-flats/

Upon receiving the filter I was struck by the packaging, especially after reading horror stories about how some Astrodons have been packaged.  You would think this was the crown jewels.  The filter is boxed in a very nice cardboard box.  Inside is a large plastic case with a magnetic top.  And inside this case the filter is sealed in a gold sealed envelope.

Simply amazing.

At any rate, my main conclusion is that this filter is halo free and gives tighter stars. 

These images were shot on consecutive nights in the first week of January.

ASI 6200mm through Tak FSQ 106, Gain 101

80x5 minute subs for Baader Ha

75x5 minute subs for Antlia Ha

Stacked in APP

Processed in PS

I processed these side-by-side at the same time trying to get them as close as possible.

Given that the Antlia filter is "only" $121 more ($430 versus $309), I would highly recommend this filter.  Whether it performs up to Chroma or Astrodon standards, I have no idea, although I speculate it does.

Pixel peepers feel free to inspect the original images on flickr.

Baader 7nm Ha here:

https://www.flickr.c...57694685889534/

Antlia 3nm Ha here:

https://www.flickr.c...57694685889534/

• Jii, 2ghouls and Sasho_Panov like this

#2 Joe G

Joe G

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 09 January 2021 - 12:45 PM

A screen shot showing the difference in halos.

Attached Thumbnails

• Ha filter compariso #1 CNs.jpg

• dugpatrick, leviathan and Sasho_Panov like this

#3 Joe G

Joe G

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 09 January 2021 - 12:46 PM

Another screen shot.

Attached Thumbnails

• Ha filter comparison #2 CNs.jpg

• leviathan likes this

#4 Joe G

Joe G

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 09 January 2021 - 12:52 PM

The packaging.

Attached Thumbnails

• Antlia CNs.jpg

#5 andysea

andysea

Aurora

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 09 January 2021 - 12:53 PM

Excellent comparison and write up thank you!

#6 RogeZ

RogeZ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Posted 09 January 2021 - 12:59 PM

Yes, I was also impressed by the packaging of the filters. Top notch. The Ha is very good, hopefully the O-iiii works just as good.

#7 RogeZ

RogeZ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Posted 09 January 2021 - 01:01 PM

SNR seems considerable higher on Antlia as well, as expected.

#8 EhJHornig

EhJHornig

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 09 January 2021 - 11:10 PM

+2 for the packaging, it is a real nice touch. I only have the Oiii filter (3.5nm) and it has resulted in a significant decrease/elimination in star halos in comparison to my ZWO 7nm Oiii filter.

#9 georgian82

georgian82

Apollo

• Loc: Healdsburg, California

Posted 10 January 2021 - 12:21 PM

I wonder how the Antilia 3nm compare against the Astronomik 6nm.

I have the Astronomik and I love them but going to 3nm for a slight increase in price sounds very appealing...

Edited by georgian82, 10 January 2021 - 12:23 PM.

#10 djholt

djholt

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 24 January 2021 - 02:46 PM

I wonder how the Antilia 3nm compare against the Astronomik 6nm.

I have the Astronomik and I love them but going to 3nm for a slight increase in price sounds very appealing...

This!! I would love any comparisons (or speculations) that may exist. I'm looking to order my first NB filter set ASAP, and I'm going back and forth between Antlia 3nm and Astronomik 6nm. I can't decide, but based on this thread I know which direction I'm leaning. smile.gif

Currently, the Astronomik 6nm HSO + deep-sky RGB + L2 is about $200 more than the full Antlia set.

Edited by djholt, 24 January 2021 - 02:48 PM.

#11 Joe G

Joe G

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 24 January 2021 - 03:30 PM

djholt,

Here is a Ha crop of the mosaic I posted yesterday of my HaRGB Orion to HH 9-panel mosaic.  It is also on my flickr site.  You can download the original image and pixel peep if you like.  This crop was quickly stretched with a few levels stretches and one curve stretch in PS from the original unprocessed stack.  That's it.

At any rate the halo is well controlled and Alnitak is a tough object.

Most on these forums consider the Baader and Astronomik filters to be of the same class.  I have extensive experience with the Baader 7nm Ha filter and really had no issue with it until I bought the ASI 6200mm.  Flats taken with the setup weren't really working.  I found the answer to be that the metal mounting ring of the filter was causing reflections that would affect FF images.  I painted the ring flat back and that took care of it.

But, largely because of that issue I decided to give the Antlia a try.  As you can see I think it does a better job.

So given that it is just about $100 more than the Baader I'd say it is worth it.  Whether it is of Chroma or Astrodon quality, I don't know.

But I like it a lot.

Most of the filter issues people have are with OIII halos.  For whatever reason OIII filters seem harder to tame.  I own two Baader OIII filters: the 8.5nm and the 4.5nm.  There are definitely halos around bright stars in both.  The 4.5nm was supposedly better, but that wasn't my experience.

As a result of my positive experience with the Antlia 3nm Ha filter I put in an order for the Antlia OIII and S2 filters.

I hope they are as good as the Ha filter.

Attached Thumbnails

• Antlia 3nm Ha Alnitak.jpg

• Jii and djholt like this

#12 djholt

djholt

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 24 January 2021 - 03:46 PM

Thanks Joe! I had actually just found your mosaic and I've been starting at it on Flickr for the past 5 minutes. It's absolutely stunning. :)

Regarding Oiii halos, this review comparing the Antlia 3nm to their previous 3.5nm gives me a lot of hope. Combined with your Ha result, I'm thinking it'd be silly not to give these Antlia 3nm a chance.

Plus, I'd be saving a few hundred dollars from the Astronomik set, not paying more. I think I'm sold.

#13 georgian82

georgian82

Apollo

• Loc: Healdsburg, California

Posted 24 January 2021 - 04:24 PM

This!! I would love any comparisons (or speculations) that may exist. I'm looking to order my first NB filter set ASAP, and I'm going back and forth between Antlia 3nm and Astronomik 6nm. I can't decide, but based on this thread I know which direction I'm leaning. smile.gif

Currently, the Astronomik 6nm HSO + deep-sky RGB + L2 is about $200 more than the full Antlia set.

The Antilia NB filters are 3nm vs 6nm from Astronomik. This is the only reason I would consider switching...

#14 djholt

djholt

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 24 January 2021 - 05:00 PM

The Antilia NB filters are 3nm vs 6nm from Astronomik. This is the only reason I would consider switching...

Right. And, currently, the 3nm Antlias are slightly cheaper than the 6nm Astronomiks. So far I haven't been talked out of the Antlias.

Edited by djholt, 24 January 2021 - 05:00 PM.

#15 wxcloud

wxcloud

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Denver, Co

Posted 25 January 2021 - 01:32 AM

Kind of wished I seen these antlias 3nm filters before I completed my astronomik 6nm set. Almost ordered one of the remaining ha 1.25"s but trying to hold off as I'm not sure if a larger sensor camera might be in the cards or not.

#16 terry59

terry59

Voyager 1

• Loc: Colorado, USA

Posted 25 January 2021 - 06:27 AM

djholt,

Here is a Ha crop of the mosaic I posted yesterday of my HaRGB Orion to HH 9-panel mosaic.  It is also on my flickr site.  You can download the original image and pixel peep if you like.  This crop was quickly stretched with a few levels stretches and one curve stretch in PS from the original unprocessed stack.  That's it.

At any rate the halo is well controlled and Alnitak is a tough object.

Most on these forums consider the Baader and Astronomik filters to be of the same class.  I have extensive experience with the Baader 7nm Ha filter and really had no issue with it until I bought the ASI 6200mm.  Flats taken with the setup weren't really working.  I found the answer to be that the metal mounting ring of the filter was causing reflections that would affect FF images.  I painted the ring flat back and that took care of it.

But, largely because of that issue I decided to give the Antlia a try.  As you can see I think it does a better job.

So given that it is just about $100 more than the Baader I'd say it is worth it.  Whether it is of Chroma or Astrodon quality, I don't know.

But I like it a lot.

Most of the filter issues people have are with OIII halos.  For whatever reason OIII filters seem harder to tame.  I own two Baader OIII filters: the 8.5nm and the 4.5nm.  There are definitely halos around bright stars in both.  The 4.5nm was supposedly better, but that wasn't my experience.

As a result of my positive experience with the Antlia 3nm Ha filter I put in an order for the Antlia OIII and S2 filters.

I hope they are as good as the Ha filter.

I have the Baader 3.5 nm Ha filter and there are halos with it so I've switched completely to Chroma with that setup. I've been using Chroma 8nm OIII and SII with zero haloing. I also have narrower bandwidth Chroma NB filters on the FSQ106 with no halos

Edited by terry59, 25 January 2021 - 06:28 AM.

#17 Der_Pit

Der_Pit

Vanguard

• Loc: La Palma

Posted 25 January 2021 - 09:02 AM

Undecided, too.  I'm in the market for 36mm filters, for the pre-ordered 2600MM.  Currently I'm on Astronomiks, though only RGB and Hα.  The more narrow width of the Antlias is less of an advantage here, as I don't have light pollution.  But the basically halo-free Alnitak image is extremely impressive.  With different base thickness, mixing the brands sounds like a bad idea if OAG guiding should stay an option undecided.gif

But it seems difficult to find European dealers for them (at least I failed).  Order directly from them, or what would you suggest?

#18 Joe G

Joe G

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 25 January 2021 - 01:36 PM

Agena Astro in California if that works?

Out of stock but may be getting some in soon.

https://agenaastro.c...ia_filters.html

#19 Der_Pit

Der_Pit

Vanguard

• Loc: La Palma

Posted 25 January 2021 - 03:33 PM

Sitting is Spain I hoped for something closer...  But as long as they're not in stock it doesn't matter where I cannot buy them tongue2.gif

• Joe G likes this

#20 terry59

terry59

Voyager 1

• Loc: Colorado, USA

Posted 25 January 2021 - 06:32 PM

Undecided, too.  I'm in the market for 36mm filters, for the pre-ordered 2600MM.  Currently I'm on Astronomiks, though only RGB and Hα.  The more narrow width of the Antlias is less of an advantage here, as I don't have light pollution.  But the basically halo-free Alnitak image is extremely impressive.  With different base thickness, mixing the brands sounds like a bad idea if OAG guiding should stay an option undecided.gif

But it seems difficult to find European dealers for them (at least I failed).  Order directly from them, or what would you suggest?

The Chroma 36mm, 5nm Ha filters didn't go up in price, nor did the 8nm filters. 

• Der_Pit likes this

#21 djholt

djholt

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 25 January 2021 - 08:42 PM

I finally committed to the 3nm Antlias. I ordered a set from Woodland Hills (currently not in stock), since they listed a combo pack with a whopping $30 savings:

https://telescopes.n...nted-37670.html

Hoping there won't be any regrets. Based on the evidence I've seen recently, it seems there won't be.

#22 Joe G

Joe G

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 25 January 2021 - 08:57 PM

Well if that OIII comparison you pointed to above is any guide it should be great.  Fingers crossed.

• djholt likes this

#23 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • Loc: Ajman - UAE

Posted 28 January 2021 - 11:09 AM

Ok, let's see how i will do it.

1. In 2017 i bought Astrodon Ha 5nm at 1.25" [old nice price]

2. Beginning of 2018 i bought Optolong SHO [7nm/6.5nm] set at 36mm

3. Late 2019 i bought Chroma OIII 3nm at 1.25" with nice price or deal

4. Beginning of 2020 i bought Chroma SII 3nm at 1.25" also with good price before Chroma going to Astrodon path in prices.

So, will i buy Antlia by late 2021 maybe? All what i need is one Antlia Ha 3nm at 36mm to replace Optolong, and then thinking about a set for my QHY294M, should i buy full Antlia NB set at 36mm or 2"?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics