•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Inheriting a couple of refractors; some questions.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Borodog

Borodog

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 January 2021 - 09:37 AM

Good morning. I will soon be coming into possession of a couple of nice little refracting scopes. Both look to be in excellent condition. Neither were previously used for astronomy and I have some questions about them.

One is an inexpensive Meade 70 AZ-TR. From what I read, while not expensive, seems well made. However, it has an integrated click stop diagonal that will have to go. There was a post a long time ago here on CN by someone who had one who said he replaced it with a regular diagonal but he never responded when asked how he did it. Does anyone know enough about this scope to know how to take the diagonal out still be able to put 1.25" eyepieces and cameras in and out? FWIW I do not have the scope and I do not know exactly when it will be shipped to me.

I'd also know what I would need to get to be able to mount that scope piggyback on my 1985 C8.

The other is a Quantaray 12-60x60mm spotting scope, which is a strange looking thing with a kink in the middle, sort of like 1/2 of a pair of binoculars. I would consider using it as finder, but is has red coated optics, which I know little about. Will they make the image too dark to use at night for astronomy?

Also, that scope does not have a uniform barrel diameter, so I'm again not sure what kind of bracket I would need should I choose to use it as a finder. Do they make finder brackets that could handle this? I suppose I could put some sort of ring around it to bump out the diameter where the rear finder bracket screws would hold it.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Attached Thumbnails

• 70AZ-TR.jpg
  • Quantaray.jpg

Edited by Borodog, 10 January 2021 - 09:39 AM.

#2 DavidNealMinnick

DavidNealMinnick

Messenger

• ****-

Posted 10 January 2021 - 02:09 PM

Unless these two items have some sentimental value to you, my recommendation would be to sell or give them away as is, rather than trying to cobble something together to make them suit your purposes. If you are intent on the latter, good luck.

• ShaulaB, Borodog and teashea like this

#3 Borodog

Borodog

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 January 2021 - 07:45 AM

Oh, I will at least try them. I may not end up using them for astronomy, but they will make fine little daytime scopes at the very least.
  • DavidNealMinnick likes this

#4 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 11 January 2021 - 08:58 PM

If they were given to me I'd donate the Meade 70mm to a neighborhood kid. With the little tripod it looks like a toy Christmas scope anyway.

The other scope looks like a decent spotter good for daytime use for birding, or what have you.

• Borodog and teashea like this

#5 Borodog

Borodog

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 January 2021 - 12:14 AM

If I used it as a finder I obviously wouldn’t leave the tripod and tiny finder on it. Although a finder on my finder would be pretty funny.
  • stevew likes this

#6 ShaulaB

ShaulaB

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 12 January 2021 - 12:19 AM

Using the 70mm as a finder might be frustrating, as the field of view might be smaller than an 8x50 finder. Or spend forty bucks and get a Telrad for the C8.
  • Borodog, teashea and Candortech like this

#7 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Voyager 1

Posted 12 January 2021 - 05:07 PM

If you unscrew the dew shield you might be able to get rings around it. It looks light enough you might not even need rings if you can find the right adapter for the bottom. Most likely nobody here has done what you are attempting to do so you just have to wait and get it and go from there. The diagonal should pop right out by loosening a set screw. You could then put a 90 degree diagonal in or an extension for straight through viewing. Other than that just wait and see. Once you have it in hand you could at least pose more specific questions.

Scott
  • Borodog likes this

#8 Borodog

Borodog

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 January 2021 - 12:32 AM

Thank you, Scott. You are right.

• SeattleScott likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics