•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron Motor Focuser with SkyPoral

accessories EAA equipment
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 daniel plouffe

daniel plouffe

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Ripon, Québec, Canada

Posted 10 January 2021 - 09:44 AM

I need advise here,  I am thinking of buying the Celestron Motor Focuser and  I would like to know if I can control the focuser via the SkyPortal I/OS app?  I am in the initial planning stage for "cutting the cords" with my Celestron Evolution 8.  Since I'm a MAC user I know that I am limited with the available software to achieve this. Other than using a mini PC with remote control I would like to explore other options, in order to do my EAA sessions inside.   I have he following equipment

1. Celestron Evo8 controlled by SkyPortal

2. ZWO ASI294MC controlled by ASI Live (this a simple application suite for EAA) on my Macbook. VIA USB

Thanks in advance and Cheers!

Edited by daniel plouffe, 10 January 2021 - 05:16 PM.

#2 davesmaint

davesmaint

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 January 2021 - 03:33 PM

Sky Portal does have a focus controller on the App, at least on the iPhone.  I don't have any experience using it, since I don't have the focuser myself.  I'm also a Mac user, and I understand the issues finding solutions that work.  I bought the "Astro Imager" program for Mac and it also has a focuser that you could use on a laptop.  (Again, I don't have a focuser yet, so no experience).  Hope you figure it out!

• daniel plouffe likes this

#3 Notdarkenough

Notdarkenough

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 January 2021 - 08:38 PM

I use the Celestron Focus Motor on my Celestron Evolution 8 EdgeHD NexStar. Fantastic addition. I initially used SkyPortal and have since switched over to SkySafariPro, with Android devices and of course, Windows. SkyPortal and SkySafari both operate similarly in terms of focus motor control. Once you have to motor installed (and plugged into the Aux port), the Focuser Control icon will appear in the toolbar upon next power-on/telescope connect cycle. Additional Focus-Motor specific setting features will also populate various menus in SkyPortal/SkySafari. Much easier to actually do than it is to explain. Hope this helps.

• Astrolopithicus likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, EAA, equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics