•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The C5 still amazes me.....

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 10 January 2021 - 09:53 AM

I use my C8/ES102 on the AZ-EQ mount in the dual mode for longer viewing sessions, but my year 2000 white C5 (bought used here) on an SE mount as my grab and go EAA setup just amazes me. Last season here in Oregon I used this setup 35 times. @71 I can carry this setup outside ready to go. Setup time is about 10 minutes total. This is my second C5, I had an old orange one for visual and it was amazing. I sold it when I semi got out of Astronomy. After about a year when I got back in, I missed the C5 terribly. I got an ST80 with 2" focuser from a club member but it just didn't fit the the bill, my C90 when cooled was so much better. But the C5 is like a big scope masquerading as a small one. when used with the ZWO224 and Meade Fr3.3 it is extremely fast, and with the FR6.3 and the 294 produces very wonderful large scale images (this is all EAA, either at the scope or in my office on a 50" 4K.

If it was my only scope I'd probably prefer a 6" for EAA, but the size and just ease of use would make that choice tough. At a dark site visual is also good, but 99% of my viewing in now in my yard doing EAA, and as my GG it sees the most use. 

I don't know if the spotters get some extra love and care, but mine is an amazing scope. I guess they could be considered "expensive" for their size but for me they are worth every penny. Do you love your C5?

• mclewis1, Erik Bakker, eros312 and 4 others like this

#2 epee

epee

Aurora

• Loc: Suh-van-nuh, Jaw-juh

Posted 10 January 2021 - 10:16 AM

I have a C5+ that I purchased used, locally. It is a wonderful, little scope. When properly collimated it offers superb planetary views, surpassed only by raw aperture. Extremely portable, it is the largest of the "small telescopes".
  • Erik Bakker and Sarkikos like this

#3 andycknight

andycknight

Viking 1

• Loc: UK

Posted 10 January 2021 - 10:42 AM

Hi,

Yes - I also have a white tube C5 (late 90's spotter version). I was using it just last night on a simple camera Tripod for low power (~30x) sweeping and pausing on a few favourite objects.

I was breaking all the rules (looking through a closed patio door lol.gif ), but I did briefly open it from time to glimpse extra detail when required.

Targets were M41, M42, M45, N2024 (flame), N2244 (rosette).

I like to keep the C5 "ready to go" on a simple camera tripod. (I'll put it on my GP mount if using high power). I can easily pick the whole thing up with one hand, so it only takes about 30 secs to set-up or put away. Spent an enjoyable 1/2 hour quick look, with no hassles regarding dew. 

I noted you (use to?) have a C90... I have kept mine as this also gets a lot of use. It is so compact that it is currently sitting there "ready to go" in a small backpack, that contains everything required (including the small camera tripod).

sml_gallery_135796_6581_378254.jpg

Regards

Andy.

• Erik Bakker, eros312, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#4 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 10 January 2021 - 12:07 PM

I owned a C5 over 10 years ago and remember that it had very sharp optics, but I sold it to move up in aperture.  Now nearing 70 with portability being important, I have another one on order with Company 7 so hope to get it in the next few months.  It will compliment my 3” Tak and the 8” Meade, each set up in aperture (3” to 5” to 8”) is about 1 magnitude.

Bill

Edited by Bill Barlow, 10 January 2021 - 12:22 PM.

• Erik Bakker, Sarkikos, eros312 and 1 other like this

#5 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 10 January 2021 - 12:19 PM

My C-5 is my grab and go.  I have it on a Twilight 1 mount.  It’s a wonderfully sharp scope with ample light gathering ability.

• Erik Bakker, Jaimo! and Sarkikos like this

#6 mrsjeff

mrsjeff

Ranger 4

• Loc: Cincinnati, OH USA

Posted 10 January 2021 - 01:22 PM

I use my C8/ES102 on the AZ-EQ mount in the dual mode for longer viewing sessions, but my year 2000 white C5 (bought used here) on an SE mount as my grab and go EAA setup just amazes me. Last season here in Oregon I used this setup 35 times. @71 I can carry this setup outside ready to go. Setup time is about 10 minutes total. This is my second C5, I had an old orange one for visual and it was amazing. I sold it when I semi got out of Astronomy. After about a year when I got back in, I missed the C5 terribly. I got an ST80 with 2" focuser from a club member but it just didn't fit the the bill, my C90 when cooled was so much better. But the C5 is like a big scope masquerading as a small one. when used with the ZWO224 and Meade Fr3.3 it is extremely fast, and with the FR6.3 and the 294 produces very wonderful large scale images (this is all EAA, either at the scope or in my office on a 50" 4K.

If it was my only scope I'd probably prefer a 6" for EAA, but the size and just ease of use would make that choice tough. At a dark site visual is also good, but 99% of my viewing in now in my yard doing EAA, and as my GG it sees the most use. 

I don't know if the spotters get some extra love and care, but mine is an amazing scope. I guess they could be considered "expensive" for their size but for me they are worth every penny. Do you love your C5?

I don't have one but you've made me think about getting one!

#7 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Administrators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 10 January 2021 - 01:29 PM

Mine is a rare 1983 forkmounted black Super C5+. It is the most beautiful scope I have and its optics are wonderful. Under the stars, I prefer the views and low-high power versatility of my ED82mm though. But my C5 is a classic that always delivers waytogo.gif

• eros312, SandyHouTex and lunardave like this

#8 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Administrators

Posted 10 January 2021 - 01:33 PM

Here’s a picture:

IMG_2233.jpg

• JMP, stevew, Jeff Lee and 9 others like this

#9 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 10 January 2021 - 01:41 PM

I thought about a C5 for a quick set-up, but decided on a C6 a few years back. As I own a 4 inch Mak as well, it will probably be a long time before I try a C5, but you never know.smile.gif

• Erik Bakker likes this

#10 jessebear

jessebear

Mariner 2

• Loc: Gretna, NE

Posted 10 January 2021 - 03:56 PM

I tried to purchase a C5 locally recently but the seller sort of disappeared. I wound up finding a Nexstar 5 (not the 'i' or 'SE' model), so that will have to do. The plan is to de-fork it and move to rings and a dovetail on a GEM. It's as close to a C5 as I'm getting and the optics look great to me! One of the last American-made versions IIRC.

• Sarkikos likes this

#11 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 10 January 2021 - 04:04 PM

The little C5 is a great scope.

I use mine primarily for family vacations, or in the back yard on work nights as it goes out the back door in one hand.

It gathers more light than an 80mm short tube refractor and is just as easy to set up.

Attached Thumbnails

• C5-AZ3.jpg
  • IMG_C520140914_175600.jpg

• Starman27, Erik Bakker, eros312 and 5 others like this

#12 Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 10 January 2021 - 05:37 PM

Hi,

I noted you (use to?) have a C90... I have kept mine as this also gets a lot of use. It is so compact that it is currently sitting there "ready to go" in a small backpack, that contains everything required (including the small camera tripod).

sml_gallery_135796_6581_378254.jpg

Regards

Andy.

Still have, bought it new in 1996, rubber coated. It  has been to Mexico, Hawaii, and all over Oregon as a travel scope and spotter for reptiles:) I use an LAR and a full set of 1 1/4" Ultimas and love the view.

• Erik Bakker and andycknight like this

#13 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Administrators

Posted 10 January 2021 - 05:41 PM

Still have, bought it new in 1996, rubber coated. It  has been to Mexico, Hawaii, and all over Oregon as a travel scope and spotter for reptiles:) I use an LAR and a full set of 1 1/4" Ultimas and love the view.

The classic Celestron Ultimas (Japan) get used a lot in my C5 too, a great match! If you look carefully, you can see the 30mm Ultima in my C5 in the picture above.

#14 andycknight

andycknight

Viking 1

• Loc: UK

Posted 11 January 2021 - 04:06 AM

Jeff Lee, on 10 Jan 2021 - 10:37 PM, said:

Erik Bakker, on 10 Jan 2021 - 10:41 PM, said:

The classic Celestron Ultimas (Japan) get used a lot in my C5 too, a great match! If you look carefully, you can see the 30mm Ultima in my C5 in the picture above.

There is also a 35mm Ultima on the C90 in my picture! - Wonderful eyepiece on both scopes...

Regards

Andy.

Edited by andycknight, 11 January 2021 - 04:08 AM.

• Erik Bakker likes this

#15 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Administrators

Posted 11 January 2021 - 06:29 AM

There is also a 35mm Ultima on the C90 in my picture! - Wonderful eyepiece on both scopes...

Regards

Andy.

That 35mm Ultima is possibly the ultimate low power eyepiece for the C5 bow.gif

• andycknight likes this

#16 NVDW

NVDW

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 11 January 2021 - 07:36 AM

I have bought one some time ago but never really used it so far sadly (a classic Black with orange letters).
I always go to my Mak for some reason.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn M2002J9G met Tapatalk

#17 Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 11 January 2021 - 09:54 AM

I have both the 30 and 35mm. Actually prefer the 30 as it is para focal with the rest of the set. I can tell you the C5 with the inexpensive 224 and the Meade FR3.3 (some folks tried to use this FR with too large of sensors) is an amazing setup for EAA. 

I see these new "everything" EAA setup costing 3 or 4K dollars and laugh. The C5, SE with or without GPS and/or skysense,  SharpCap, and SkyTools, 224, both reduces, and a used laptop is such a better system. I can EAA from f3.3 to f20 with the little 224 from planetary to deep sky. If someone my age can put such a system together it can't be that hard:)  

Edited by Jeff Lee, 11 January 2021 - 10:13 AM.

• JMP, Erik Bakker and andycknight like this

#18 CapnRon

CapnRon

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: NC

Posted 11 January 2021 - 08:48 PM

I have one as well, mine came with a tabletop tracking mount.  I have used it for all sorts of viewing, it is especially easy to take to others homes or parties to show people things (the moons of Jupiter and the rings of Saturn) they have never seen.  I recently added Bino-viewers to mine and have cobbled together an acceptable portable table from an old walker from a previous surgery.  It is stable enough and easy to move the pair around.

newmount.JPG

I have to move the scope around in the back yard to be able to view different parts of the sky, so both being portable is a requirment.

• stevew, Erik Bakker, eros312 and 4 others like this

#19 charlesgeiger

charlesgeiger

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 January 2021 - 03:43 AM

I purchased a new black C5 back in 1985 when my orange C5 was stolen from my house.  The scope I have is exactly the same as the scope in #8 post above.

I have been able to resolve M13 in a dark sky fully and it is capable of excellent moon and planet views.  I remember a special night about just after 1st quarter when the moon was so exquisitely defined that I still remember that to this day.  The resolution was to extremely small and fine craterlets that I was just stunned that evening back about 20 years ago.  I have the scope in essentially new condition.  It came with 2 silver top Celestron oculars which are both fine; I managed to find another 26mm exactly matching silver top 26mm for my binoviewer which I will need to use some day soon.

C5's are great telescopes.  I also saw easily the companion to Rigel and the E and F stars in the trapezium.  So I feel I got a good sample.  Once I put it up against a Meade 5" f/15 MAK and both scopes gave a beautiful image with my scope maybe eeking out a bit more light throughput.

I think it is a great scope and so portable too.  I have to use a barlow on it as it can do 200X well with a 4 mm eye piece in great conditions.

Charlie

• Erik Bakker likes this

#20 Sammy

Sammy

Mariner 2

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 13 January 2021 - 10:10 AM

I regret selling mine.... Thinking about getting another....

#21 Ouranos

Ouranos

Viking 1

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 13 January 2021 - 01:33 PM

Love Mine

#22 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• Loc: Right Coast of the Chesapeake Bay

Posted 13 January 2021 - 02:12 PM

I tried to purchase a C5 locally recently but the seller sort of disappeared. I wound up finding a Nexstar 5 (not the 'i' or 'SE' model), so that will have to do. The plan is to de-fork it and move to rings and a dovetail on a GEM. It's as close to a C5 as I'm getting and the optics look great to me! One of the last American-made versions IIRC.

A Nexstar 5 is a C5.  The only significant difference is how it's mounted.

ScopeStuff has a strap tube mounting system ready-to-go.  http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_stms.htm

A little pricey.  I'm not sure which one would fit the Nexstar 5.  Measure the tube to find out.

Mike

#23 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• Loc: Right Coast of the Chesapeake Bay

Posted 13 January 2021 - 02:14 PM

That 35mm Ultima is possibly the ultimate low power eyepiece for the C5 bow.gif

A fellow clone for my 35 Ultrascopic.

:grin:

Mike

• Erik Bakker likes this

#24 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Administrators

Posted 13 January 2021 - 04:00 PM

I purchased a new black C5 back in 1985 when my orange C5 was stolen from my house.  The scope I have is exactly the same as the scope in #8 post above.

I have been able to resolve M13 in a dark sky fully and it is capable of excellent moon and planet views.  I remember a special night about just after 1st quarter when the moon was so exquisitely defined that I still remember that to this day.  The resolution was to extremely small and fine craterlets that I was just stunned that evening back about 20 years ago.  I have the scope in essentially new condition.  It came with 2 silver top Celestron oculars which are both fine; I managed to find another 26mm exactly matching silver top 26mm for my binoviewer which I will need to use some day soon.

C5's are great telescopes.  I also saw easily the companion to Rigel and the E and F stars in the trapezium.  So I feel I got a good sample.  Once I put it up against a Meade 5" f/15 MAK and both scopes gave a beautiful image with my scope maybe eeking out a bit more light throughput.

I think it is a great scope and so portable too.  I have to use a barlow on it as it can do 200X well with a 4 mm eye piece in great conditions.

Charlie

Charlie,

My 1983 black Super C5 + performs exactly like you describe in the quote above bow.gif

#25 BMW YMIR

BMW YMIR

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 15 January 2021 - 05:50 PM

It is nice to hear these thoughts.I am really a refractor guy...... but I did acquire a 74/75 C5 and C8. Not a big fan with anything with mirrors. BUT... these are soooooo beautiful and classic. I really fell in love with the little 5.I enjoy that scope and prefer it to the 8. Sharp images and very nice contrast. For me it is stepping back in time. The new scopes and their high tech is wonderful and impressive. But to me, they just don"t have that feel or touch the imagination like the old scopes seem to do. Thank you for your post. Take care, Tony.

• jjack's likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics