•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Observatory Build for Vixen SXW

astrophotography EAA observatory mount
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Paul J

Paul J

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Lanarkshire Scotland

Posted 10 January 2021 - 09:56 AM

Hi  there folks, happy new year to everybody (COVID notwithstanding).  I will be embarking on a Pulsar Observatory build this year, and am carrying out a little research in advance.  One of the issues I have is a lack of standardisation in the power interfaces that I have, to this end, I am looking to try and build in an integrated power delivery solution, currently Pegasus Astro look like offering the best solution for my requirements, specifically their ‘Ultimate Powerbox v2’ product.  There is however a bit of a stumbling block in going down this route, and that is the legacy nature of the power interface for my Vixen Sphinx SXW.  The Pegasus unit requires standard 2.1mm to 2.1mm interface cables and Vixen being Vixen of course have a custom 2.1mm interface.  Which brings me to the information I’m hoping to glean from this post.  Has anybody any experience in overcoming similar issues with the Vixen Sphinx, and if so what solutions did you come up with?  Some additional info on my specific requirements, the Sphinx is already at maximum capacity, so mounting the power integration on the mount is not an option, I am planning therefore to mount the box near the top of the pier.  In case you are not familiar with the Pegasus kit here is a url to the product:

https://pegasusastro...te-powerbox-v2/

Kind Regards

Paul J.

#2 DMRandall

DMRandall

Vostok 1

Posted 10 January 2021 - 10:30 AM

Paul - I have an Orion Atlas Pro - and the power connector is not a standard 2.1mm 12V power connector either.  So, I purchased a spare Atlas Pro power cord and cut off the non-standard connector and spliced in a standard 2.1mm connector so I could power the mount from my Pegasus.  I tried sourcing just the connector, and it was hard to find the specific size needed, but that's another possible route - find just the connector and create a new power cord with a connector that'll go to the Pegasus.

Dave

#3 jfgout

jfgout

Vostok 1

• Loc: Starkville, MS

Posted 10 January 2021 - 10:34 AM

Paul,

To me, the big advantage of the Pegasus Power Box (or any similar product) is that it allows you to have only one cable going to the telescope. Then, all the accessories (focuser, filter wheel, dew heaters, CCD/camera) are powered from the box. This means that you have only one cable moving when the telescope is pointing at different positions.

It is really not heavy, so I would strongly encourage you to reconsider the idea of setting up the box on your tube.

Now, if you want to use the Power Box just to eliminate the need of having a multiple-outlet device + as many AC-to-DC converter as you have DC accessories, you might want to look into the much cheaper DC power distribution basic boxes.

For your question about Vixen compatibility, I'm not sure exactly what type of connector the Vixen mount is using, but maybe this type of adapter would solve your problem: https://www.showmeca...to-2-1mm-female

Final note: I bought the Power Box V2 this fall and I really like it. I use it to power 2 dew zappers (one with the dedicated dew-shield port and one with USB) + the focuser + my canon camera (using the variable DC output that I set at 8v). I have not used the USB for data transfer yet.

Clear skies,

jf

EDIT: Forgot to mention that you could indeed splice two cables to save your compatibility issue, as suggested above by Dave. It's very easy to do and does not require any particular skills (but it's easier to do if you have wire strippers + you'd want to have some electric tape).

Edited by jfgout, 10 January 2021 - 10:36 AM.

#4 alan.dang

alan.dang

Messenger

Posted 10 January 2021 - 10:35 AM

https://www.vixenopt...ount-p/8644.htm

Then you can sacrifice the 12V car portion.

#5 Paul J

Paul J

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Lanarkshire Scotland

Posted 10 January 2021 - 11:33 AM

Thanks for the prompt feedback guys.  I was hoping that there might be an off the shelf alternative somewhere, but thinking about it Dave's solution is just so bloody obvious, that it completely escaped me. I had myself fixated on the hassle of splicing in just the connector itself, however it makes sense to just splice the wiring together.  I have some heat shrink tubing that will seal the splices and make a nice neat job of it.  As a bonus I already have a length of Vixen supplied cable to work with, this being the polarity conversion cable supplied with the mount for backwards compatibility with their legacy mounts.

Paul.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, EAA, observatory, mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics