•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ADVICE PLEASE: Tak FC100DC (F7.4 Canon/Optron Fluorite doublet) vs. AT102EDL (Hoya FD100 + lanthanum)

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#26 Ihtegla Sar

Ihtegla Sar

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pacific Northwest

Posted 13 January 2021 - 11:32 PM

I'm disabled, so I have a ceiling of $2000, max. The most egregious example was a guy in Cali offering me a Tak FC76DCU OTA for 'only $1750, shipped. I'm now only looking for the 76mm DCU.

Yeah it will be hard to find a 100mm Tak for $2,000 or less with the COVID shortage. That one for $2,250 looks well priced in the current market. Before COVID you could have gotten a used DF with extras for $2,000 but not now.
  • RobM and teashea like this

#27 25585

Voyager 1

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK. Dark end of the street.

Posted 14 January 2021 - 10:33 AM

Let me add: while deciding which scope to choose and ordering it is generally a matter of weeks to months, owning and enjoying a good scope is easily a matter of years or even decades. Which in turn makes the total cost of ownership low, especially if depreciation of the scope you choose is low. Most great scopes are enjoyed at high initial investment, but low total cost of ownership.

This is really where refractors score high & IMO repay the buyer. No collimation hassle, no mirror recoating & cleaning. Mounts can be swapped and changed. Terrestial use. Excellent diagonals for whatever viewing.

A refractor is a lifelong+ possession, like binoculars, a friend for life. All mine will outlast me I am sure. 

• Erik Bakker and teashea like this

#28 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 14 January 2021 - 03:44 PM

Rob,

Sorry to hear you are disabled. All the more important to choose an instrument that fits your abilities well. A compact instrument that cools down quickly helps. As does a lightweight, easy to handle mount, unless you have access to a permanent mount.

At a time in my life, I was disabled for a few months, so I can relate to that well.

A good 3” doublet is a lifetime joy.

After 40+ years of observing, I appreciate such an instrument more than ever. And focus on what it CAN show and how easy I can take it out under the stars. Often. 

A 4” is a great scope, but already a substantial instrument to handle and mount, especially when you are disabled.

A 3” apo doublet is much easier to use and mount. 

Of all my scopes, the one I use most often now and absolutely love for what it shows me, is my superb 82mm Nikon ED.

Many a time I stare in the eyepiece in disbelief. It’s images of the universe are so detailed and beautiful. And for sure, that is what the FC-76 will bring to it’s observer too.

Go for it!

For me, the quality of the optics in a scope are very important in how the beauty of the universe is conveyed to my eyes and soul.

• RobM, nicknacknock, StarDust1 and 2 others like this

#29 RobM

RobM

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 14 January 2021 - 09:37 PM

Erik,

Thank you for your insights.  It's locating an FC76DCU without the 'Pandemic Premium' markup that's proving to be a challenge.

#30 kmparsons

kmparsons

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 15 January 2021 - 04:01 PM

I own two AT scopes, the 60mm ED and the 92mm f/5.5 triplet. Each is mechanically and optically excellent. Given your budgetary limitations, and given just these two choices, I would go with the AT and spend the remainder of your $2000 budget on some premium accessories. 

• Ihtegla Sar likes this

#31 Ihtegla Sar

Ihtegla Sar

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pacific Northwest

Posted 15 January 2021 - 05:50 PM

I own two AT scopes, the 60mm ED and the 92mm f/5.5 triplet. Each is mechanically and optically excellent. Given your budgetary limitations, and given just these two choices, I would go with the AT and spend the remainder of your $2000 budget on some premium accessories. 

Good advice.  Taks aren't really for people on a budget since you can get almost as good performance for a lot less money with an AT scope.  In addition to the OTA, money should be budgeted for mount, tripod, diagonal, finder, eyepieces, etc.

On the other hand, if I were really wanting to buy a  4" Tak for $2,000, I might be tempted by this FS-102 that just came up on CN . . .

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics