•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How to clean a Meade 294D

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 HBB

HBB

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 January 2021 - 01:41 PM

Good afternoon,

First, I hope I am in the right forum.  While I don't know the date of manufacture the tag said the scope was made in Taiwan and not China, and it is on an all metal equatorial mount with a wooden tripod, I assume it is a few years old.  It is a pretty much standard looking 60mm refractor like so many others.  It's my first scope.  I don't have delusions about the quality.  As it seems virtually EVERYTHING I was interested in was out of stock, and someone on CN in the beginners section suggested Goodwill,I took a look around and based on little things in the pictures, I decided to go for it.   So for about $40.00, the bulk of which was shipping, it became mine.  It came with three extra lenses in their little plastic containers as lens cap and it appeared well cared for.

It arrived today and I pointed it up to the blue sky.  I could see fibers and dust and what not.  Clear, and close and well magnified as pretty as can be!  I did not see anything that looked like water stains.

Just looking at the diagonal and lenses  I can see they are dusty.

I saw some other posts recommending air and a soft brush and others lens cleaners and wipes and others still saying these aren't that delicate.  I assume I should go slowly,  I'm looking for recommendations on how to proceed and what to use.  At the end of the day it is a $40.00  telescope so if I booger it up too badly I will be disappointed but not much devastated and can proudly say I only have myself to blame.

Thank you in advance for whatever responses I get.

HBB

#2 wizbang396

wizbang396

Explorer 1

• ****-

Posted 10 January 2021 - 02:03 PM

Use a photographic cleaner or lens cleaner which will do no harm.  Just a drop on a unscented tissue and rub lightly.  No damage.  Same with lenses and diagonal.  If it were expensive equipment then you would need to follow another path.

#3 Russell Smith

Russell Smith

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 76707

Posted 10 January 2021 - 02:34 PM

First off, welcome to the vintage section of cloudy nights.
Photos always help in evaluating. Also we all enjoy photos of vintage scopes.
Russ

#4 HBB

HBB

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 January 2021 - 03:10 PM

Meade 294d
Album: Telescopes
1 images
0 comments

Mr. Smith,

Not sure if I did this right.  Not even sure of the quality of the image.  A picture of a cheap telescope taken with a cheap cell phone. I can only assume it is vintage like some of my t shirts are vintage.  I think I blew some of the dust and such away.  I'm waiting for night to see how it looks now.

#5 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Soyuz

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 10 January 2021 - 04:03 PM

Any dust and junk you see while viewing is most likely in the eyepiece, on the side that goes into the diagonal.  It is crazy hard getting these clean and lint free.  Best bet is usually a Giottos Rocket Blaster blower syringe and then some lens tissue rolled to a point and mildly moist with lens cleaner to poke up and twirl lightly around.  Followed by a few more poofs from the syringe.

Cleaning  the diagonal will help a lot too but the stuff that looks in focus is in the eyepiece.

Dave

Edited by davidmcgo, 10 January 2021 - 04:03 PM.

#6 HBB

HBB

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 January 2021 - 04:31 PM

Thank you,

I put another eyepiece in and it does appear much clearer but I appreciate the education. It makes sense.  The diagonal appears visibly dusty but I left that for now.  I ordered a blower syringe and lens wipes.  We'll see how it goes.  Starting to get dark but some clouds moving in too.  Of course,

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics