•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Question about localized LP

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#51 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: ROR Obs. near Pettigrew, Arkansas

Posted 19 January 2021 - 12:07 PM

Without oversharing too much online, it's Southeast of you. Intent was to be as far from the major Central Florida urban areas as possible, so I aimed to get in the little cubbyhole in South Central Florida depicted in blue.

Though once my neighbor throws the breaker up on her new place, that blue may change.

How bad are the gnats and mosquitoes there?  Will that be a problem nearly year round?

#52 Poynting

Poynting

Vostok 1

• Loc: San Antonio, TX

Posted 19 January 2021 - 12:17 PM

Without oversharing too much online, it's Southeast of you. Intent was to be as far from the major Central Florida urban areas as possible, so I aimed to get in the little cubbyhole in South Central Florida depicted in blue.

Though once my neighbor throws the breaker up on her new place, that blue may change.

I used to dream of having some land out near Kissimmee Prairie. Those dark skies have been on the decline for a long time now, but still some of the best that can be had in FL. 

#53 Delta608

Delta608

Viking 1

• Loc: Tampa Bay Florida

Posted 19 January 2021 - 12:59 PM

From Ft. Myers to Naples really do have some very dark spots..Look up the Ft.Myers Astronomy Club good info there...

#54 Creedence

Creedence

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Florida

Posted 19 January 2021 - 06:19 PM

How bad are the gnats and mosquitoes there?  Will that be a problem nearly year round?

They're worse than you could imagine, but you could say that about Florida writ large.  In a strange way, they were part of the reason I got into imaging.  With visual, I'm outside whether I want to be or not; at least with imaging, I can retreat to safer environs while the imaging runs its course.  If they aren't out, I like to spend time with my dob while my other rig does its thing.  They lighten up a bit in the winter, and you can be relatively undisturbed if you go out 2 hours after sunset; but they are a year-round nuisance.

#55 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 20 January 2021 - 08:46 AM

I think I’m over worrying about it for now. I’ll build and flip it if necessary. I’ve decided to hang on to my current house so that will afford me a lot of flexibility in 10 months time.

I drove out there 2 nights ago just to see how much of a difference there would be, and it was definitely noticeable. I was upset there was such a large, luminous light dome off to the west until I realized I currently live IN that light dome!

So it sounds like you will be up and running there in about a year's time. Hopefully  your assessment of local LP will be favorable once you've built the house, and you''ll then go ahead with the observatory.

#56 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: ROR Obs. near Pettigrew, Arkansas

Posted 20 January 2021 - 09:15 AM

We don't have bugs that bad here, but I have found I can mitigate them on the worst nights by placing and running a large box fan in the doorway of the ExploraDome while observing.  Mosquitoes and gnats are weak fliers.  They get sucked into the fan and thrown outside.

#57 Creedence

Creedence

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Florida

Posted 20 January 2021 - 12:03 PM

So it sounds like you will be up and running there in about a year's time. Hopefully  your assessment of local LP will be favorable once you've built the house, and you''ll then go ahead with the observatory.

Just in time to catch my favorite winter targets with any luck.  I'll share my thoughts and observations of the LP here when the time comes.  Hopefully it will help future members better understand what effects they could expect from a single source of light amidst otherwise dark skies.  I may also end up outlining how I mitigate their effects here as well.

For the time being, we're off to the races.  The permit application is in, and that should be complete by March.  Covid furloughs at the county courthouse have greatly impacted the wait time for new permits, but that's a bit of a blessing in disguise because the excessive wait times are suppressing the price of new construction.  I'll happily wait it out imaging from my suburban skies for the time being.

Edited by Creedence, 20 January 2021 - 12:04 PM.

• alphatripleplus likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics