•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

LX 200 Hand Controler

SCT
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 4jack9

4jack9

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 January 2021 - 09:07 PM

Hi All:

Getting my late 90's 12" LX200 back in action. Caps have been replaced. When going through setup at Lat & Long I can enter the Latitude but when I press enter to move to Longitude nothing happens. I have powered down and tried, gone back to beginning, held the enter key but it will not move to Long.

All other functions work well. The current long is several degrees off so the go to is also that amount off. Any ideas would be welcome.

Regards,

Jack

#2 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Cosmos

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 11 January 2021 - 09:50 PM

Does the enter key work for other functions ? If so it  sounds like the value your entering for the Latitude is being sensed as invalid or it is still looking for additional data.  If the enter key doesn't work with other functions I would open the hand box and make sure the cable for the key pad is well seated and that the capacitor located underneath it has not  burned up and damaged the cable which is very common.

- Dave 

• 4jack9 likes this

#3 4jack9

4jack9

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 January 2021 - 04:39 PM

Dave, thanks for the reply. Yes the enter key works in all other aspects. I will look at your suggestions. 

Thanks again.

Jack

#4 Daveatvt01

Daveatvt01

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson, Az

Posted 12 January 2021 - 08:53 PM

Is the N/S button on the front panel in the correct position? 

• 4jack9 likes this

#5 4jack9

4jack9

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 January 2021 - 03:24 PM

Yes it is. I double checked after your comment.

Thanks

#6 Daveatvt01

Daveatvt01

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 January 2021 - 04:30 PM

Maybe try a new location entry instead of editing the old one?

• 4jack9 likes this

#7 Daveatvt01

Daveatvt01

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 January 2021 - 05:12 PM

Also note that the lat and long are in degrees and minutes, where most references are in degrees and decimals, so if you enter anything in the minutes blank above 59 it will probably not accept it.

#8 4jack9

4jack9

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 January 2021 - 01:37 PM

Thanks Everyone. Excellent suggestions. While reentering data the other day The cursor finally moved to Longitude!! I entered the Long and it held :) After progressing further on in the set up I have noticed the following:  The Lat must be entered on start but it does not hold as I go thru setup.   Cannot access the Long. (correct posit)  After alignment the scope does not track.   Go to slews to the general area but not there. (could be wrong Lat that I can not change)   I confirm my target but does not track.

More serious than I thought.  Any ideas? I live in MA. Are there any repair facilities near me? 

Thanks, Jack

#9 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Cosmos

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 21 January 2021 - 03:22 PM

I believe Ron Sampson does repairs and is in your area. Ron makes replacements keypads that I have used to repair a number of LX200 hand controller. I can't list Ron's email here because of the rules but here is link to site that lists his Email at the top. http://www.imjeffp.com/handcontroller/

The other place is the Astronomy Shoppe they do LX200 repairs http://astronomy-shoppe.com/ which located in NH.

- Dave 

• 4jack9 likes this

#10 4jack9

4jack9

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 January 2021 - 01:47 PM

Thanks Dave:

I am consulting with Ron Sampson now. Very knowledgeable!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SCT

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics