•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Orion 90mm Burgundy Starblast refractor w/ AZ-3 mount & tripod

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Piaget

Piaget

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Eastern Missouri

Posted 12 January 2021 - 12:53 AM

I got an Orion 90mm burgundy Starblast refractor with AZ-3 mount & tripod for $36 on GW 4 weeks ago. Thought the price was decent. Being retired , my scope budget is meager. Every exposed thread & bolt & screwhead were covered with rust.This scope must have been on a porch or in a barn & exposed to a lot of weather. Took 2 weeks with a wire brush & solvent to get the mount usable. The OBJ lens was completely fogged. Another week to remove the OBJ lens & separate the lenses & clean with vinegar , toothpaste & alcohol. Got it completely clear. I probably put more effort into this scope than it is worth. Now it provides me nice clear views & I am happy. A really nice Meade diagonal & meade 8-24 zoom EP helped a lot. Disassembled everything & lubed all too. Thanks piaget

Attached Thumbnails

• 00020210111_230835.jpg

Edited by Piaget, 12 January 2021 - 12:59 AM.

• JIMZ7, Jim Haley, beanerds and 5 others like this

#2 cookjaiii

cookjaiii

Viking 1

• Loc: Southeast PA

Posted 12 January 2021 - 03:04 AM

I remember seeing that telescope on the ShopGoodwill site and noticing how rusty and dusty everything was and thinking how much work it would take to bring it back to right.  I'm glad it found a good home. 

Congrats on the "new" scope.  Have you had it out under the stars yet?  Let us know how you like it.

• Piaget likes this

#3 Stefano Delmonte

Stefano Delmonte

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Salou (Spain) & Broni (Italy)

Posted 12 January 2021 - 04:48 AM

I think you honored what the instrument itself represent by bringing it to life again.

Sometimes I've seen telescopes abandoned and make me feel really sad.

Don't forget to do a dew shield in order to enlarge the one already has the scope, the one already has the scope is ok for most night but when dew is very high is better to enlarge it.

Clear skies!

Ste

• cookjaiii and Piaget like this

#4 Piaget

Piaget

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Eastern Missouri

Posted 12 January 2021 - 12:47 PM

Stefano & Cook , Thanks for responding. I will look into a homemade dew shield extension & also be share viewing results.

Edited by Piaget, 12 January 2021 - 12:49 PM.

• cookjaiii and Stefano Delmonte like this

#5 JIMZ7

JIMZ7

Vanguard

• Loc: NE flight path of DTW

Posted 13 January 2021 - 12:15 AM

I was thinking of buying one from Orion, but they seemed to drop it from their catalog fairly quickly & go with another manufacturer.

Jim

#6 erin

erin

Viking 1

• Loc: MA

Posted 13 January 2021 - 08:34 AM

Nice job! 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics