•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Most and least used refractor, why in each case?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#51 gwlee

gwlee

Vanguard

• Loc: 38N 120W

Posted 16 January 2021 - 04:30 PM

The largest scope that’s EASY for me to use is usually my most used scope. A larger scope won’t be used much after the new wears off it, so it will probably go to a new home soon thereafter, and the EASY scope will become my only scope. 

Edited by gwlee, 16 January 2021 - 04:37 PM.

#52 Voyager 3

Voyager 3

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Near Bangalore, India

Posted 17 January 2021 - 12:49 AM

I've had many scopes over the last 40 years. I bought my first apo though in early 2003 - it was a FS128. Then I bought an FS152, then a NP101-IS. Next I bought a SW120ED and a SW 100ED. Then a SW Equinox 120ED and a Equinox 80ED. When Tak brought out their new FC series, i couldnt resist and bought a DC.

My least used refractor, I'm ashamed to say, was my FS152. It was a great scope but because it needed a G11 to carry it well, i would often look for excuses for why i shouldnt set it up. 

My most used scope so far, and surprisingly the one thats shown me the most, was my FC100DC. That scope was under the stars on nearly every clear night for five years. Now I have a DZ, it has a hard act to follow in fuelling my enthusiasm. I'm sure it will not disappoint given the same amount of time.

The amazing DC.

attachicon.gif2016-12-20 22.56.49.jpg

attachicon.gif274570300_2019-03-2620_26_50.jpg.157a9e32bcfc1751a3615ba51a0ce649.jpg.f0fa3ed565a2ba95107d15b27f5738bd.jpg

That Orion nebula is .... No waaay !! Cool sketch! What I see in my eyepiece , now I can see in your sketch bow.gif .

• mikeDnight, Lookitup, 25585 and 1 other like this

#53 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Vanguard

• Loc: Germany

Posted 17 January 2021 - 03:54 PM

With just two refractors, the statistics is easy.

Most use for the astronomy use finds the grab-and-go Sky-Watcher (Synta) 6" F/5 achromatic refractor,

SW 1.jpg

mounted on the Cullmann Titan CT200 (or alternatively CT300) tripod with the central geared column.

Fully accessorized, this setup weighs less than 15kg, and easy to move with just one hand within the backyard area.

The Leica APO 82mm Televid is in reserve for the holiday trips, and for the fast decissions to observe something,

Leica APO Televid 82mm.jpg

Thank you for looking,

JG

PS: The pic of the 6" F/5 achro set-up is old, both the zenith diagonal and the filter wheel have been replaced.

• payner, AllanDystrup, mikeDnight and 3 others like this

#54 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 17 January 2021 - 07:13 PM

With just two refractors, the statistics is easy.

Most use for the astronomy use finds the grab-and-go Sky-Watcher (Synta) 6" F/5 achromatic refractor,

attachicon.gifSW 1.jpg

mounted on the Cullmann Titan CT200 (or alternatively CT300) tripod with the central geared column.

Fully accessorized, this setup weighs less than 15kg, and easy to move with just one hand within the backyard area.

The Leica APO 82mm Televid is in reserve for the holiday trips, and for the fast decissions to observe something,

attachicon.gifLeica APO Televid 82mm.jpg

Thank you for looking,

JG

PS: The pic of the 6" F/5 achro set-up is old, both the zenith diagonal and the filter wheel have been replaced.

I’m impressed with the fact that you can one-hand a 15 kg scope around the back yard.

• j.gardavsky likes this

#55 Redbetter

Redbetter

Voyager 1

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 18 January 2021 - 02:25 AM

Stowaway/Traveler most, 175 EDF least. Size.

The sad reality of refractor ownership! Well any design really...

Not necessarily for any design...my most used scope by a wide margin is my 20" Dob and the majority of that observing involves travel to a dark site.   Its capabilities make it worth the hassle, and make it hard to leavehome for DSO sessions.

Backyard duties for scopes are a different matter: shorter sessions, often just quick looks, and far fewer targets within reach of any given aperture because of suburban skies and seeing.  Maximum portability gets the nod except when seeing is good enough to warrant more aperture.

Then there is choosing a "tag along" scope to bring along with the 20" at times for specific targets--e.g. very wide field, comets, some challenge objects for the aperture, etc.  This mostly depends on what I might want to do, but portability is a key. 

With respect to the original question:

In terms of refractors, my most used  had been my ED80.  It has served as a "seeing scout" in the backyard, as well as for moving around to see things very low in the sky or poorly positioned.  The AT72EDII has somewhat displaced it because it is even more portable/versatile.   The 72 gives some up for planetary though...and is on the shorter range of aperture to serve as a seeing scout.

Honorable mention in "most used" goes to the ST80 with RACI and 24 Pan that serves as a finder on the 20".  Since I use it primarily in finder mode, it isn't employed as much for observing in its own right.

Least used is tough to say since I have a number of achro refractors with serious optical problems that are rarely used as a result.  I also have a SW Evoguide 50ED with optical problems (this was the replacement, same problem as the first...probably need to give warranty a final go.)

Least used of my first line refractors is the 110ED, my largest refractor and the biggest impediment to it is size/weight/clunkiness in getting it outside.  Now you might think that only reinforces the points others made above, and if limited to refractors this might be true...  However, its problem is that it is too in-between in aperture compared to other types I have, and it takes just as long to set up.  When the seeing is poor in the backyard there is no reason to hassle with it.  When the seeing is good I typically want to employ the 8, 10, or 20" for more detail or to go deeper.  I do tend to use the 110ED for some of this, but not when the seeing is particularly good and I have some time.  

On the flip side, if I didn't have the larger scopes, then it would be the 110ED making the trip to dark sites as the primary scope, despite its greater bulk and set up time than the smaller refractors in altaz.  And it would the the scope used in the backyard when the seeing was good.    

Edited by Redbetter, 18 January 2021 - 02:27 AM.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#56 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Vanguard

• Loc: Germany

Posted 18 January 2021 - 05:06 AM

I’m impressed with the fact that you can one-hand a 15 kg scope around the back yard.

Thank you SANDY!

This has been the reason to put together nearly 20 years ago this minimalist equipment, which also allows for a rapid deployment, and othewise it can be stored in a golf travel bag, plus a bag for the tripod.

In fact, I have more Cullmann and Linhof tripods, than the telescopes, ha, ha.

Best,

JG

• SandyHouTex likes this

#57 HydrogenAlpha

HydrogenAlpha

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Singapore

Posted 18 January 2021 - 08:54 AM

Most used - APM LZOS 130 f/6

Least used - Takahashi FS60CB

Not exactly fair since I only have two telescopes. The Tak is a gem but I do my imaging from home most of the time. Makes more sense to use the larger scope since it is permanently mounted and aligned. 

#58 Rich_W

Rich_W

Ranger 4

• Loc: Pennsylvania

Posted 18 January 2021 - 09:14 PM

My most used would have to be the TV-76, for its ease of set up and portability, and because I use it for white light and h-alpha solar as well as night observing.  After that it varies somewhat by season...the TEC140 gets a lot of use in the warmer months, much less in winter since I don’t do long sessions on cold nights much anymore.  The TV-102 gets the least use, mostly for lunar observing. 

• 25585 likes this

#59 relee

relee

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Boca Raton

Posted 18 January 2021 - 11:38 PM

Beware the man with one scope.... he probably knows how to use it!  Using 2 scopes with one mount makes the lazy choice the one already mounted...

usually that's the 120 TSA so I have no complaints... and if the 100DL sneaks in there no problem...

• stevew, jcj380, mikeDnight and 2 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics