•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Skywatcher Esprit 100 or ASKAR FRA600 ?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cmfrommen

cmfrommen

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Norway

Posted 12 January 2021 - 09:43 AM

I am torn between those two scopes and can't decide :-(

They are about the same price if you count the additional field flattener and small Riccardi reducer for the Esprit and the dedicated f/3.9 reducer for the ASKAR (it already has a flattener built in). The Esprit is tested and proven to work whereas the ASKAR has yet to stand the test of time. There is a waiting time for the ESPRIT right now but the ASKAR is in stock (at least here in Germany from TS).

My cameras will be APS-C and 4/3" so not too big sensors.

What telescope would you choose?

CS

Christoph

#2 Sandy Swede

Sandy Swede

Messenger

• Loc: Delaware beaches

Posted 12 January 2021 - 10:05 AM

Hei Christoph,

What is your risk tolerance? With which one can you get good customer service if there is a problem with the scope?   I think you put your finger on the issue when you mentioned, "ASKAR has yet to stand the test of time."  This is not a knock on ASKAR quality as I have heard no negative feedback on their line.

#3 cmfrommen

cmfrommen

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 January 2021 - 11:31 AM

Isn't the saying: "No risk, no fun"? Or was it "No risk, no pain" or "No pain, no gain"?

Honestly, I don't know ATM. I would buy both scopes through a respected telescope dealer (e.g TS or firstlightoptics since I am based in Europe) and am not worried so much about aftermarket support. I have had excellent experience with both sellers so far. It is a tough choice in my opinion, since the ESPRIT 100 has received very positive feedback from the community and is tested...BUT the ASKAR FRA400 (the smaller brother) has also received favorable reviews. The FRA600 is just so new...really tough right now.

Maybe I should someone else do the plunge and then simply join in later if the experience with ASKAR is positive?

Any volunteers?  ;-)

#4 B 26354

B 26354

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southern California semi-desert (NELM mag 5.3)

Posted 12 January 2021 - 11:46 AM

Realizing that you're in Europe, and despite what that means, regarding shipping/import costs... in the price-range of those two scopes, I would also look at the Stellarvue SVX102T:

https://www.stellarvue.com/svx102t/

or the lighter-weight SVX102T-R

https://www.stellarvue.com/svx102t-r/

grin.gif

#5 cmfrommen

cmfrommen

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 January 2021 - 12:46 PM

Thanks for the feedback! :-)

However, I can get the APM 140 SD down to about 735m mm FL with the Riccardi reducer already. I was looking at something in the 400-600 mm FL range.

The 4" F5-F5.5 scopes seem ideal for that...and the addition of a reducer brings them down to about 400 mm FL or less.

I guess, at least if you are not prepared to dash out a ton of your hard earned money for a TAK FSQ106 or a Vixen/Pentax 4" Photo APO, there are not so many alternatives for good-excellent scopes in that range?

I am still undecided between the ESPRIT 100 and the FRA600  ;-)

Edited by cmfrommen, 12 January 2021 - 12:52 PM.

• B 26354 likes this

#6 Tapio

Tapio

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 12 January 2021 - 01:47 PM

You could wait and see user opinions on the Askar.

But there is a price difference.

Esprit with Riccardi reducer is about 2500,- and Askar with reducer is about 3100,-

#7 RogeZ

RogeZ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Posted 12 January 2021 - 08:39 PM

The FRA600 is supposed to be better corrected than the FRA400, if the scope is indeed a little better and the interest is solely AP, go for the Askar.

I have used both Esprit 120ED and the FRA400.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics