•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Winter is PRIME observing season

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#76 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Hubble

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 21 January 2021 - 06:20 AM

I wonder you age, probably in your younger years. Yes, when I was young, and my body could stand the cold, I loved the cold clear nights. But when you reach 70 years old, I do not think that you will have the same feelings, but hope you do.

I have no doubt that I will always love winter, though I still have three years until I turn 70. Cold weather became physically problematic for my father as he got older, but he never stopped loving winter. My wife is well past 70 and has Reynaud's syndrome, but still loves winter -- as long as there's snow on the ground. Snow is transformative, magical. Never the same twice, always beautiful in a different way. But seriously cold weather with no snow can be pretty grim.

I do think it's partly a cultural thing. Places like Arkansas or North Carolina do get their fair share of sub-freezing temperatures, and the mountains in North Carolina can even get quite heavy snow from time to time. But winter is still viewed as an aberration, something to be endured, rather than an opportunity for fun and joy.

Sadly, I am watching the winter culture slowly wither even in places where winter itself is still going strong, like northern New York and New England.
  • Arcticpaddler and Le_Troglodyte like this

#77 erick86

erick86

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 21 January 2021 - 10:32 AM

Thank you Jon,

that night the aurora was faint and kept itself to the north, and did not disturb my shooting on the M42. Other nights, however, it could be very strong and fluctuates over the whole sky, and then it's impossible to do astrophotography. But it's a "show" anyway, as this night in late October last year when i hiked up on a mountain to do some aurora photography. smile.gif

Thanks for those incredible photos of the aurora!  Those are spectacular displays that one remembers for a lifetime.  

For those that have not seen the aurora, it is definitely one to add on to the bucket list.  Their movement & dance is pure magic.

• Le_Troglodyte likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics