•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vintage telescope Holy Grail?

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#26 Astrobril

Astrobril

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 13 January 2021 - 10:47 AM

To put on my Polarex 132M (Unitron 152) mount: a 108 mm Royal Astro OTA - my first astro friend had one back in 1978 (picture); I found out last year that he died in 2011, much to young.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1978 Caspar Steens.JPG

• dave brock, RichA, Paul Morow and 9 others like this

#27 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 13 January 2021 - 11:04 AM

Is the wedge bolted down?  Seems it could flop over if not.  Now that kinda rig i could deal with if i ever can find a super sharp C14 local.

Yes the wedge was bolted to the layers of plywood.

I would do it again if I ever buy another C14.

Robert

• mdowns and Bomber Bob like this

#28 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 13 January 2021 - 07:15 PM

Yes the wedge was bolted to the layers of plywood.

I would do it again if I ever buy another C14.

Robert

Before i die i want one more shot at a Meade 7"ED done right and a insane sharp fork mounted C14. I got cheated on both.

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#29 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 13 January 2021 - 07:30 PM

Well    some of these posted  could be Holy Grails   

But for what I would like and could handle   maybe an Astro Physics 6 inch refractor on the appropriate AP mount   and a good place to keep it would just about do it for me

• deepwoods1, Terra Nova, oldmanastro and 1 other like this

#30 39cross

39cross

Mariner 2

• Loc: Beverly, MA

Posted 13 January 2021 - 07:53 PM

Just right now I'd settle instead for a good place to observe from. Dark skies, dry, and steady temperatures.
  • RichA, bremms, Bonco2 and 1 other like this

#31 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Apollo

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 07:54 PM

Well    some of these posted  could be Holy Grails   

But for what I would like and could handle   maybe an Astro Physics 6 inch refractor on the appropriate AP mount   and a good place to keep it would just about do it for me

Same here, but with a C14 next to it on a side-by-side saddle.

Chip W. 

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#32 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 13 January 2021 - 08:59 PM

I'm thinking the same thing, Astro Physics 6 inch f/12 Super Planetary.

I know the newer ones are better but I want the oldie moldie.

Robert

• oldmanastro, Stew44, STE411 and 1 other like this

#33 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 13 January 2021 - 09:13 PM

As I've posted before, my Grail would be either a mint & complete...

Tasco 20TE:

Tasco 20TE - Ad P01.jpg

Carton CST 100 (Pedestal & Tripod):

Carton CST 100 P11 (1985 Carton Catalog).jpg

No surprise that both Grails are 4" refractors.  IMO, the best choice for aperture, performance, & portability.  Of the 2, the Tasco 20TE is the iconic Classic.  The Carton is more practical, since it can ride on either pedestal or tripod.  Tele Vue sold the CST EQ as its System Mount -- high praise IMO.  I would love to have both, of course!  I can imagine my Sears 6336 on the left, the blue Carton in the middle, and the 20TE on the right...  What a display that would be!!

Those of you dreaming of a C14 but afraid of the weight, fear no longer, I used a Harbor Freight Hydraulic lift table and it worked wonderful for visual observation.

I'm a fan of your C14 Solution, Robert.  I know it doesn't make the scope smaller, but it sure looks compact.  Would take up less floor space in the shed than my Tinsley 6" Cass & EQ rig...

Edited by Bomber Bob, 14 January 2021 - 01:33 PM.

• deepwoods1, RichA, mdowns and 5 others like this

#34 Benschop

Benschop

Explorer 1

• Loc: Eastern Ontario

Posted 13 January 2021 - 09:33 PM

Those of you dreaming of a C14 but afraid of the weight, fear no longer, I used a

Harbor Freight Hydraulic lift table  and it worked wonderful for visual observation.

I had a choice, use the table or forget about using the scope.

The C14 fixed tripod would not fit thru my shop door. And no way was I going to

assemble this thing outside in the dark, and turn around and dis-assemble at 3

o'clock in the morning.

The lift table enabled me to enjoy my life, and you can too.

Robert

That is a fantastic idea.

#35 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Cosmos

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 13 January 2021 - 09:45 PM

As for my  Holy Grail, I got mine this Christmas. I have been looking for OTI Quantum 6 for years at the right price. I finally found one.  To me it has everything that a Questar 7 offers but at  25% of the price.  To me it is one of those instruments that when you use it, it just has that feeling of quality. 

- Dave 

Quantum 6.jpg

• tim53, Mr Magoo, Jim Curry and 19 others like this

#36 icomet

icomet

Messenger

• Loc: Montana

Posted 14 January 2021 - 12:18 AM

8" Vega Mak-Newt.

When I carried off my Cave from it's resting place, a Vega was put in it's place. Should I see it's for sale?

#37 icomet

icomet

Messenger

• Loc: Montana

Posted 14 January 2021 - 12:24 AM

How about Mr. Cave's personal 12-1/2 incher:

http://www.cave-astr...tory/index.html

Robert

How about "Mr. icomet's" personal 12 1/2 inch Cave? (Tim doesn't have his anymore, so I'll chime in)  grin.gif

Clear Skies.

• tim53, clamchip and Defenderslideguitar like this

#38 SpaceConqueror3

SpaceConqueror3

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Phinney Ridge, Seattle, WA

Posted 14 January 2021 - 12:44 AM

This is where it all started for me. So it would be cool to find a near mint one to play with again...

space conqueror 3

• mdowns, rcwolpert and oldmanastro like this

#39 Senex Bibax

Senex Bibax

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, ON

Posted 14 January 2021 - 08:16 AM

The Holy Grail? Wouldn't that be a Dynamax 8 with perfect optics?

• tim53, andycknight, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#40 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Cincinnati Metro Area

Posted 14 January 2021 - 09:38 AM

At this point in my life, like Barry, something I can handle. Also something I can easily transport to a dark site. My choice would not be a classic, but certainly something along classic lines with classic utility, and something for purely visual viewing enjoyment. It would most likely be a TeleVue Tele Vue NP127is on a TeleVue Gibralter HD5 with encoders and the nice Berlebach tripod.

• grif 678, oldmanastro and Defenderslideguitar like this

#41 RichA

RichA

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 14 January 2021 - 10:52 AM

The Holy Grail? Wouldn't that be a Dynamax 8 with perfect optics?

No, because the actual grail might exist.

• jsiska, bremms, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#42 jfaldo

jfaldo

Ranger 4

• Loc: Middle of No Where, Wy

Posted 14 January 2021 - 11:17 AM

The scope in my avatar. Optical Craftsman 12.5. For sure not a "grab and go". It just killed me to have to sell it when I moved 5 years ago but there was just no way I could have taken it. The optics in this scope were incredible. Would love to have it back even though I still don't really have a place for it, but I would figure something out.

• tim53, Bomber Bob and Defenderslideguitar like this

#43 Vesper818

Vesper818

Astronomess

• Loc: Right brain, Left Coast

Posted 14 January 2021 - 02:49 PM

My holy grail is to be content with what I have, use it more, and be able to finish a couple small projects.
Nothing astronomically unacheivable.
  • Mr Magoo, jsiska, steve t and 6 others like this

#44 SteveGR

SteveGR

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Western Michigan

Posted 14 January 2021 - 03:08 PM

I think I may be too pragmatic for my own good. Whenever I think of these things, I think of the kind of things I would like to have, not the kind I would actually use, which prevents me from ever trying to actually obtain one.

#45 tim53

tim53

Hubble

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 14 January 2021 - 03:29 PM

I think my grail is going to have to be my 16" Mak, provided I can finish the optics myself.  I don't worry so much about being able to move it around, because any grail scope now would be permanently mounted at Cosmic Acres.  I might even put it on a Springfield mount, if there's enough room between the primary and secondary to mount a tertiary there and not be looking at too much sky around the secondary.  Otherwise, I could make the tertiary removable, and put a guide scope/viewing scope piggyback on the Mak and look through the Mak baffle and through the piggyback scope (most likely a 'fractor).  Main downside to Springfield mounting a Mak is that the meniscus end is the heavy end, so a counterweight would need to be added behind the primary cell to balance in Dec.

But it's going to be a while yet before I tackle that meniscus.

-Tim

• gnabgib, Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#46 bobhen

bobhen

Aurora

Posted 14 January 2021 - 03:32 PM

1. An original Astro-Physics 10” F14.6 Makustov: (still too expensive for me)

2. An Astro-Physics 180mm F7 triplet refractor: (definitely too big for me nowadays)

Bob

• Bomber Bob, Stew44 and Defenderslideguitar like this

#47 mdowns

mdowns

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: Englewood,FL

Posted 14 January 2021 - 03:38 PM

When I was a boy, say ten or eleven years old, this(cave 18") was the 'holy grail' to me bar none. I was very certain that I could discover all there was to be discovered, to explore without limit, to conquer the universe with this beast. Back then I had torn several pages of pictures out of the Cave catalogs and posted them onto my walls. This was my favorite, hands down.I grew older and of course more practical but I never totally lost that boyhood lust for this scope. In reality, I never have seen one in person. The 12.5"f7 observatory model that I did see and use sat, mostly unused, in its owner's garage. I found this picture on the cave astrola site. Still has that mystique to me.

Attached Thumbnails

• stacks-image-6a5fa15-668x810.jpg

• Paul Hyndman, tim53, R Botero and 8 others like this

#48 SpaceConqueror3

SpaceConqueror3

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Phinney Ridge, Seattle, WA

Posted 14 January 2021 - 03:57 PM

My holy grail is to be content with what I have, use it more, and be able to finish a couple small projects.

good-answer-i-like-the-way-you-think.jpg

• Vesper818, Bomber Bob and Rick-T137 like this

#49 Bonco2

Bonco2

Viking 1

Posted 14 January 2021 - 04:51 PM

I'd love to have back my 10 inch f/6 Cave Custom Deluxe that I parted with to help pay for my motorcycle interests. But my home site  has so many mature trees now and light pollution is terrible, so I probably let it go at the right time.

Bill

• 39cross likes this

#50 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 14 January 2021 - 06:41 PM

Yep, our C14 suffices us for its use (hi-res planetary imaging) & like Robert (clamchip) we use a hydraulic lift table to move it around: little projects like adapting an old (AO I think) pier to accept the mount made things even lighter/easier & just as stable, just as other mods have facilitated cleaning optical surfaces that collect grime etc...or getting the scope down to thermal equilibrium rapidly etc.

As we are now in our early 70's the thoughts of a really huge scope become more distant to the point of just being "old dreams" - we will still travel hundreds of miles to "chase the seeing" & this scope etc is nearly always in the back of our SUV such is the ease of transporting it.....I have a couple more ideas on making it even more easy to manoeuvre as we become more rickety but I'm just about done with dreaming in AA - except for a couple more nights of uber-seeing before we start to go really mouldy! lol.gif

As for "really sharp C14's" I tend to think that many of them are...although I'm sure there are a few duds just as in everything: apart from having the seeing (which we've been fortunate to find many, many times over the years) one needs thermal equilibrium, a scope collimated to a very high degree every time you image...& an understanding of really sharp focusing & how it changes during each & every night...as well as for us this past year with Mars, being conversant with using an ADC at lower elevations.

Of course all our opinions are personal choices/notions - but for us this suffices! smile.gif

NewPierInActionSmall.jpg

• Vesper818, clamchip, Bomber Bob and 2 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics