•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sky Safari 6 Pro: cannot read custom observing lists anymore

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 DHEB

DHEB

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Sweden

Posted 13 January 2021 - 08:53 AM

Fellow observers and users of Sky Safari,

After 45 days of nearly constant rain, snow and clouds it finally cleared up yesterday. While preparing for the night I started the Android tablet and Google Play told me that Sky Safari (6 Pro) needed to be updated. Done.

Then I proceeded as I have done since about 4 years ago in both SS 5 and 6: 1) executed a script that summarizes the variable star observation program for the night and writes it as an observing list (.skylist); 2) copied the list to the ".../Sky Safari 6 Pro/Observing Lists" folder; 3) started Sky Safari; and 4) went on to made the updated list visible .... Not this time.

Sky Safari did not see the list. Tried many times, restarted, deleted all lists and started again, in two different devices. Nothing. The list is in the same folder and has exactly the same format as I always have done, in both SS5 and SS6, namely (excerpt from header plus two first objects):

SkySafariObservingListVersion=3.0
SkyObject=BeginObject
ObjectID=2,-1,-1
CatalogNumber=AQ And
CatalogNumber=AQ Andromedae
CommonName=AQ And
Comment=Last observed 52 day ago
EndObject=SkyObject
SkyObject=BeginObject
ObjectID=2,-1,-1
CatalogNumber=R And
CatalogNumber=R Andromedae
CommonName=R And
Comment=Last observed 52 day ago
EndObject=SkyObject

I wonder if someone knows if there has been any change lately (say last 50 days), where SS6 Pro cannot read this format anymore, or any other thing that may explain this problem. As I wrote above, I have used this procedure since the last 4 years up to November 2020 without any problem.

Thanks in advance

/H.

PS: I have searched in Simulation Curriculum website and have not been able to find anything that may explain this. They have a user forum now but I cannot honestly say that it is easy to use or find things in it.

Edited by DHEB, 13 January 2021 - 08:59 AM.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#2 S.Boerner

S.Boerner

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Chesterfield, MO

Posted 13 January 2021 - 09:54 AM

I was able to copy your skylist from above and import it into Android SkySafari6 running in BlueStacks Emulator.

#3 DHEB

DHEB

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 13 January 2021 - 09:58 AM

Ok. Thank you for that. I will have to see deeper then. Permissions perhaps. Thabk you again.

#4 S.Boerner

S.Boerner

Surveyor 1

Posted 13 January 2021 - 10:02 AM

Check the extension on your text file.  Is it .skylist or possibly .skylist.txt?

#5 DHEB

DHEB

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 13 January 2021 - 01:24 PM

Check the extension on your text file.  Is it .skylist or possibly .skylist.txt?

It is .skylist. No .txt added.

#6 DHEB

DHEB

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 13 January 2021 - 02:00 PM

Lots of work and no luck yet. I can open the .skylist file in Android using "open as document" via Firefox. Then the text is seen fine. But Sky Safari will not see the file. I will have to keep searching. Any hint will be appreciated.

#7 BrentKnight

BrentKnight

Soyuz

• Loc: Foley, Alabama

Posted 13 January 2021 - 02:44 PM

I noticed this last evening as well. The other method for importing is to send the skylist as an email attachment. I can see the attachment and when I tap on it, it gives me the option to import with SkySafari. But then I get a message that it was unsuccessful...

#8 BrentKnight

BrentKnight

Soyuz

Posted 13 January 2021 - 02:46 PM

I was able to copy your skylist from above and import it into Android SkySafari6 running in BlueStacks Emulator.

How did you make that work?

#9 DHEB

DHEB

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 14 January 2021 - 02:44 AM

I noticed this last evening as well. The other method for importing is to send the skylist as an email attachment. I can see the attachment and when I tap on it, it gives me the option to import with SkySafari. But then I get a message that it was unsuccessful...

Thanks for this. I am starting to believe that either the format, or file naming convention has been recently changed, or a bug has been introduced in recent versions.

I have now posted this problem in Simulation Curriculum's help forum.

#10 DHEB

DHEB

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 14 January 2021 - 02:51 AM

I see that there is also another post in the SS forum related to this issue.

#11 S.Boerner

S.Boerner

Surveyor 1

Posted 14 January 2021 - 10:06 AM

OK, my fault.  I had SkySafari Pro 6.7.2.0 installed.  I just did an update to 6.7.8.1 and as you said, it is now broken.

Sorry

How did you make that work?

• Sweetberries likes this

#12 BrentKnight

BrentKnight

Soyuz

Posted 14 January 2021 - 11:24 AM

I've heard from other posts that it still works with iTunes, but I no longer have an iPad and I don't have confirmation...

#13 rhartigan

rhartigan

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Pontiac, MI

Posted 15 January 2021 - 01:28 PM

Thanks all, we made some changes to file locations on Android in order to handle security restrictions introduced in Android 10.  Apparently during that process we introduced this bug - sorry for the trouble!

We'll be following up with this issue on our support forums in the aforementioned posts, Sky Safari Pro Android update Jan-5-2021 possible bug and Sky Safari 6 Pro cannot read custom observing lists anymore.

• Jon Isaacs, DHEB and BrentKnight like this

#14 DHEB

DHEB

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 15 January 2021 - 01:33 PM

Thanks all, we made some changes to file locations on Android in order to handle security restrictions introduced in Android 10. Apparently during that process we introduced this bug - sorry for the trouble!

We'll be following up with this issue on our support forums in the aforementioned posts, Sky Safari Pro Android update Jan-5-2021 possible bug and Sky Safari 6 Pro cannot read custom observing lists anymore.

Thanks to you for the fast response and good customer service!
  • Jon Isaacs and rhartigan like this

#15 rhartigan

rhartigan

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Pontiac, MI

Posted 16 January 2021 - 05:36 PM

Hello all,

The "Observing Lists" directory has moved on the Android device due to security restrictions introduced in Android 10.

Instead of copying .skylist files to "SkySafari 6 Pro/Observing Lists" on the device, can you please try copying the files to

"Android/data/com.simulationcurriculum.skysafari6pro/files/Observing Lists"?

Thanks!

• DHEB likes this

#16 S.Boerner

S.Boerner

Surveyor 1

Posted 16 January 2021 - 10:28 PM

Is that folder/directory supposed to be there already?  On one of my devices there is no com.simulationcurriculum.skysafari6pro folder and on the other there isn't an Observing Lists under files.

In the past you could use a filemanager app, double click on the skylist, and it would install.  Now there is a message "no apps are installed to open this kind of file."

#17 DHEB

DHEB

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 17 January 2021 - 02:07 AM

Hello all,

The "Observing Lists" directory has moved on the Android device due to security restrictions introduced in Android 10.

Instead of copying .skylist files to "SkySafari 6 Pro/Observing Lists" on the device, can you please try copying the files to
"Android/data/com.simulationcurriculum.skysafari6pro/files/Observing Lists"?

Thanks!

It worked! At least in Android 7.0 that I just tested. Will test 7.1.1 later. Thank you very much!

EDIT: I have now tested in Android 7.1.1 and see it works as well! Thank you!

Edited by DHEB, 17 January 2021 - 03:35 AM.

#18 DHEB

DHEB

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 17 January 2021 - 03:39 AM

Everyone reading this please note that the issue is solved.

As Ros pointed out above the solution is that from now on custom observing lists must be copied to the following folder:

/Android/data/com.simulationcurriculum.skysafari6pro/files/Observing Lists

Then everything will  work as it did before.

Thanks Ros and Keiron from Simulation Curriculum!

• BrentKnight likes this

#19 Celsom

Celsom

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 02 June 2021 - 12:14 AM

Is that folder/directory supposed to be there already?  On one of my devices there is no com.simulationcurriculum.skysafari6pro folder and on the other there isn't an Observing Lists under files.

I had to create the Observing Lists folder in the files folder, then I put my observing list and Sky Safari loaded it. I have SkySafari version 6.8.3.0

• btschumy likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics