•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

TEC-140ED and TEC flattener

refractor imaging astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 StarDust1

StarDust1

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 13 January 2021 - 10:31 AM

I would like to use the TEC flattener with the TEC-140ED. The camera will be ASI2600MC with ZWO OAG. The back focus distance of the flattener is 85mm.

The TEC Flattener has a Pentax 6x7 thread. I would need an adapter from 6x7 to M68mm or so...From there on I can get to the required adapters.

Is see that Baader has an 6x7 to M68mm adapter:

https://www.baader-p...c.html?___SID=U

Are there other options? or is the Baader adapter the way to go?

And where does the back focus distance of 85mm for the TEC flattener begin? Would that be when the bayonet ring on the TEC flattener is removed?

#2 D_talley

D_talley

Soyuz

• Loc: Albuquerque, New Mexico

Posted 13 January 2021 - 09:26 PM

Do you have the TEC FF already?  I know that you will be hard pressed to find one that is made for the TEC ED

If it looks like the photo attached, you should contact AP for the correct camera connector.

https://www.astro-ph...m/ccd-adapters/

Attached Thumbnails

• TECFF-Web.jpg

• StarDust1 likes this

#3 fate187

fate187

Messenger

• Loc: Saxony, Germany

Posted 14 January 2021 - 01:09 AM

Do you have the TEC FF already?  I know that you will be hard pressed to find one that is made for the TEC ED

If it looks like the photo attached, you should contact AP for the correct camera connector.

Baader still has TEC Flatteners for the 140. They advertise them for the 140FL. However, I am readily using it with my 140ED and see excellent tight stars - no blue bloating or something like that. Example: get.jpg?insecure

For adaption I ordered a custom made adapter from the 6x7 flanch to M42. On the TEC side it is set in place by the locking nut. On the camera side a M42 male thread. I am honest and say, that I don't like the adaption with the locking nut. On the camera side in tends to be too tight and removing the camera requires me to unthread the whole flattener, then removing the flattener and then a pincer for unscrewing the adapter from the camera. But that is my custome made unit. Maybe the one sold by Baader or alike is better. 

I think Peter Nagy came up with a better solution, which I am looking to adapt sometime maybe: https://peternagy.sm...g-Train-Setups/

Another option would be to use the thread from the back side of the flattener to your camera thread.

distance from the flattener starts at the notch on the flattener which is covered by the locking nut.

Edited by fate187, 14 January 2021 - 01:13 AM.

• StarDust1 likes this

#4 StarDust1

StarDust1

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 14 January 2021 - 11:15 AM

Dwight, thank you for the link! Yes, I have the TEC FF. I was surprised how big the FF is. I will contact AP and see what they advice. 

Are those stunning picture in your gallery taken with the TEC?

#5 StarDust1

StarDust1

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 14 January 2021 - 11:40 AM

Baader still has TEC Flatteners for the 140. They advertise them for the 140FL. However, I am readily using it with my 140ED and see excellent tight stars - no blue bloating or something like that. Example: get.jpg?insecure

For adaption I ordered a custom made adapter from the 6x7 flanch to M42. On the TEC side it is set in place by the locking nut. On the camera side a M42 male thread. I am honest and say, that I don't like the adaption with the locking nut. On the camera side in tends to be too tight and removing the camera requires me to unthread the whole flattener, then removing the flattener and then a pincer for unscrewing the adapter from the camera. But that is my custome made unit. Maybe the one sold by Baader or alike is better. 

I think Peter Nagy came up with a better solution, which I am looking to adapt sometime maybe: https://peternagy.sm...g-Train-Setups/

Another option would be to use the thread from the back side of the flattener to your camera thread.

distance from the flattener starts at the notch on the flattener which is covered by the locking nut.

Michael, that's a beautiful picture. Pin point stars all the way to the edge. And way too many galaxy's in your picture to count, nice!

I think those TEC Flatteners for 140 on the Baader site, are the ones that were made for TEC140ED. I'm not aware that TEC made new flattener for TEC140FL. The 0.9x reducer is new which can be also used with the TEC-140ED from what I have seen/read.

Sorry to hear about your custom unit. The custom unit (used for FSQ and ATIK383) that I have (2mm thick) gave me also headache, it was very stiff as well.

From your link and the link that Dwight posted, It looks like that the Baader 6x7 to M68mm adapter is the same as the AP A1260.

To me these two adapters look the same:

Baader 6x7 to M68mm adapter:

https://www.baader-p...c.html?___SID=U

Astro-Physics A1260 adapter:

https://www.astro-physics.com/a1260

With the attached imaging train, If I'm correct, I would need a custom adapter of 18.3mm, though I need to account the thickness of the locking nut. 

Attached Thumbnails

• TEC.JPG

#6 D_talley

D_talley

Soyuz

• Loc: Albuquerque, New Mexico

Posted 14 January 2021 - 11:51 AM

Dwight, thank you for the link! Yes, I have the TEC FF. I was surprised how big the FF is. I will contact AP and see what they advice. 

Are those stunning picture in your gallery taken with the TEC?

Yes, most were taken with the TEC.  I use the FF with a Apogee F16M full frame camera.  Thanks

• StarDust1 likes this

#7 StarDust1

StarDust1

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 14 January 2021 - 12:07 PM

Yes, most were taken with the TEC.  I use the FF with a Apogee F16M full frame camera.  Thanks

Love those pics...the contrast, colors and the processing!

#8 JMW

JMW

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 14 January 2021 - 02:24 PM

I bought my TEC 140 ED used several years ago. I bought the flattener/correct directly from TEC. It was designed for the TEC 140 ED. It is huge but the Feathertouch 3.5 inch focuser is a perfect mate for it.  My problem is my wife is always using the scope visually so I seldom get to use it for imaging.

• StarDust1, fate187 and donadani like this

#9 StarDust1

StarDust1

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 14 January 2021 - 03:37 PM

I bought my TEC 140 ED used several years ago. I bought the flattener/correct directly from TEC. It was designed for the TEC 140 ED. It is huge but the Feathertouch 3.5 inch focuser is a perfect mate for it.  My problem is my wife is always using the scope visually so I seldom get to use it for imaging.

Jeff, for most of us out there our partners ain't in to our hobby. I guess you are privileged :-)

#10 JMW

JMW

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 14 January 2021 - 07:49 PM

I am very privileged to be married to a woman for 40+ years who is willing and enjoys going on 3 week backpack trips since 1993 where Everything is done in the woods. She fell in love with astronomy after I took her to the 2009 GSSP and Stellarvue star parties. We bought a travel trailer a few years ago and do even more astronomy camping in comfort. 

I have SVX130T on order so I will have a 5 inch triplet available for imaging while we are enjoying the TEC 140 ED with eyepieces.

Edited by JMW, 15 January 2021 - 11:24 AM.

• StarDust1, fate187 and donadani like this

#11 StarDust1

StarDust1

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 15 January 2021 - 06:37 AM

Jeff, what a beatifull story and thanks for sharing! No scope can beat that. And nothing can beat being with your soul mate sharing the same interest and being mobile.

The Stellarvue 130mm looks gorgeous, the OTA color scheme looks the same as the TEC from what I can see from the pictures. Looking forward to your first light!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: refractor, imaging, astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics