•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Adapting a Nextar Evolution for FC100DZ?

refractor
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 fedele

fedele

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 January 2021 - 12:33 PM

good evening.

1) is it possible to use a nextar evolution with satisfaction with an FC100DZ? I guess it reaches a maximum of forty degrees in elevation right? or can the compactness of the FC help? I'm not figuring it out.
2) is it possible to adapt it for use with FC100DZ? you have news of some solution, but one that is effective, stable and elegant. thanks

#2 Hesiod

Hesiod

Aurora

Posted 13 January 2021 - 01:02 PM

In my opinion it would be just wasted time (and money).The EVO works at its best if the center of weight is close to the axes' intersection, but you have to displace it in order to slew the refractor (e.g. by raising it and adding a counterweight system to keep the rig balanced: you would need a strong L-bracket and a rather heavy counterweight).

Another option could be to add weight to the objective end of the tube and gain centimeters of clearance but, even in the case you could make some setups to work, the useless weight would do no good to the mount's performances.

Besides, the EVO is not too light to begin with, and somewhat cumbersome, so switching to a german eq mount would not bring clear disadvantages.

If absolutely want a goto mount, may look for a cem25 (or what mount ioptron have replaced it with); if are just interested in autotracking, the eq5 is a cheap and fine pick, and even the cg4 could do

• fedele likes this

#3 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 January 2021 - 01:10 PM

In addition to Hesiod's comments, the refractor will be longer than the SCT the Evolution mount was designed for.  You may experience clashes and crashes when you try to point the FC100-DZ toward zenith.  Not enough clearance between the pivot point and the mount base for the scope to "swing through".

• fedele likes this

#4 fedele

fedele

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 January 2021 - 02:48 PM

Yes sure. I wrote because I remember seeing a system somewhere that now I don't find anymore.
I have to think of a suitable compact and beautiful AZ or AZ / EQ. Goto.
I have the Nextar evolution and within its limits, however, I consider it very compact and comfortable, but precisely for small tubes.

#5 Hesiod

Hesiod

Aurora

Posted 13 January 2021 - 03:17 PM

As long as suitable goes, the az/eq5 may meet your requirements, but I would not call it compact, nor beautiful (well, that is just a subjective parameter and beauty is in the eye of the beholdergrin.gif ).

There is the iOptron MIniTower or, if are willing to wait a little, maybe the Rowan AZ100.

If are willing to include also push-to systems there are much more options; anyway, I found that with these slender (but quite short) tubes eq mounts are a real treat

gallery_215679_8115_6366853.jpg

• fedele likes this

#6 Reid W

Reid W

Apollo

• Loc: Shreveport, LA

Posted 13 January 2021 - 04:12 PM

Fedele- I had an Evolution mount. What I noticed about it, was its ability to somewhat manage an *out of balance* optic.

You could try a front heavy setup before your DZ arrives.

I never spent much time with my refractors and the Evo. My concern was the clutch failing somehow and then allowing/causing the tube front to drop.
  • fedele likes this

#7 fedele

fedele

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 January 2021 - 05:23 PM

i will check az100 when ready the goto

what about this LX65

#8 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Voyager 1

Posted 13 January 2021 - 05:44 PM

i will check az100 when ready the goto

what about this LX65

Secondary saddle rated at up to 7lbs.

iOptron Minitower/Alt Az Pro really looks like the way to go if you want a portable, Goto Alt Az.

Scott
  • Spikey131 and fedele like this

#9 Reid W

Reid W

Apollo

Posted 15 January 2021 - 08:29 PM

I have the Ioptron AZPro, and I think its a terrific for visual, especially when combined with a tablet running Sky Safari.

I have the secondary saddle and have used an 81mm refractor and a 90mm maksutov on that side.  I'll also use tge secondary saddle with a rail and weight to counterbalance the *main* side of the mount.

I have an Atlas EQ6, and it can easily handle out of balance loads.  Could be the EQ-AZ6 might handle out of balance (such as binoviewers) might handle out of balance better than the Ioptron, but at a 30% price increase.

• fedele likes this

#10 fedele

fedele

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 January 2021 - 05:03 AM

yes. Interesting  ioptron AZ PRO. 

does it therefore have a pointing system with mobile devices such as the celestron nextar evolution?

I should use it with an FS102NSV and with a tube yet to be decided (a mewlon 180c, or a C8 or a Mak150SW), the first view the second for shooting.
Does it track well for planetary imaging use (2/4 min)?

• dweller25 likes this

#11 Hesiod

Hesiod

Aurora

Posted 16 January 2021 - 06:20 AM

For hi-res planetary imaging the mount's tracking accuracy is of very little concern (mind that capture softwares have the option to auto-align the frames which, taken individually, are very short and pose little challenge. In fact it is possible, albeit very nasty, to use a fully manual mount).

I would not take picture and observe at the same time with the same mount (high-frequency vibrations can cause loss of good frames)

• fedele likes this

#12 Reid W

Reid W

Apollo

Posted 16 January 2021 - 10:51 AM

yes. Interesting  ioptron AZ PRO. 

does it therefore have a pointing system with mobile devices such as the celestron nextar evolution?

I should use it with an FS102NSV and with a tube yet to be decided (a mewlon 180c, or a C8 or a Mak150SW), the first view the second for shooting.
Does it track well for planetary imaging use (2/4 min)?

Yes, the azpro can be wifi controlled from your tablet.  I use a Samsung Android and Sky Safari.

As far as loading on the secondary saddle....maybe 8 pounds, certainly not a tube the length of your fs102. 

The saddle slips onto the counterweight bar and then a single bolt keeps the saddle in place.  Any out-of-balance on that side causes the saddle to slip or the counterweight bar to turn (in my case).

On  mine, I've used the Mewlon/103/92/90 on the main clamp and the 81 or a 90mak on the secondary.  Its fun to compare the different presentations. 

When leveled, the pointing is very close.   Tracking is smooth, it is far better than the stairstep of the Evolution mount.  Yesterday, i used the 90mm f9 and hit the carbon star list that's available for sky safari.

As noted previously, it seems my Atlas has a bit smoother tracking, is much more tolerant to out of balance, but the pointing is not quite as accurate....but I'm not nearly as accurate when leveling it.  Also, its easy to add a wifi or bluetooth.  Mine operates on an old bluetooth rig.  

I can say your search for a nice optic was easy.  Finding the right mount might be more of a challenge.  

#13 fedele

fedele

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 January 2021 - 05:53 AM

Just as curiosity

An AZ-GTi  can work well with a FS102NSV  in a mono setup with diagonal or in a bino setup with diagonal and MAXBRIGHTII?

thanks

#14 JeremySh

JeremySh

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 17 January 2021 - 06:01 AM

Just as curiosity

An AZ-GTi  can work well with a FS102NSV  in a mono setup with diagonal or in a bino setup with diagonal and MAXBRIGHTII?

thanks

No, the telescope is much too heavy for that mount.

• fedele likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics