•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Question regarding range of the WIFI on eVscope

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 king1522

king1522

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Corpus Christi, TX

Posted 13 January 2021 - 04:32 PM

I would think my question has been answered before but my research hasn’t found anything useful. Does anyone know the range of the WIFI on the eVscope? I would like to control it from my easy chair in my living room which is about 30 feet away from where the scope will be. I’m 76 years old and injured my back recently. I underwent surgery to fix a compression fracture on a disc. Standing at my scope for hours as  I used to is out of the question. I also want a scope simple to set up. I don’t want to deal with a lot of cables and I think the eVscope is the answer. However, I don’t want to spend a bundle of money on this thing if it doesn’t fit into my plans. Currently, I’m thinking of buying a used one if I can find one.

I appreciate any and all comments.

Don

#2 GazingOli

GazingOli

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Stuttgart GERMANY

Posted 14 January 2021 - 01:49 AM

Hi Don,

you will find tons of info on the eVscope here: http://www.waloszek...._evscope0_e.php

Probably your question will also be answered somewhere in the text. If not, feel free to contact Gerd via eMail. I am sure he will answer your question if possible. As far as I know he is controlling the scope from indoors, too. But I do not know the distance to the scope.

CS.Oli

#3 king1522

king1522

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 14 January 2021 - 10:01 AM

Thanks, CS.Oli

#4 GazingOli

GazingOli

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Stuttgart GERMANY

Posted 14 January 2021 - 11:30 AM

You are welcome!

Clear skies . Oli(ver)

#5 king1522

king1522

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 14 January 2021 - 01:11 PM

Thanks again, Oliver. Interesting website with lots of info. One of the things he discussed was the Vaonis Vespera which is due to be out in a year or so. Smaller but a viable alternative to the eVscope and Stellina. It's supposed to a lot less expensive, but that's to be seen.

Don

#6 gwal0

gwal0

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 January 2021 - 02:40 PM

Hi Don,

I just stumbled over your post...

You will not find an answer to your question on my Website, because I get very inconsistent results. I read two reviews, where the reviewers mentioned that 10 m would work. I am usually closer to the eVscope on my terrace (2 to 5 m). This works, but sometimes, the Wi-Fi connection breaks even under such conditions.

As Oliver wrote, I also use the eVscope from our kitchen when it stands on the terrace. Usually, I do not get a stable connection this way and have to go into our winter garden or even on the terrace to re-establish the connection after a break-down. So, it does work in a way, but it is not a truly pleasant experience...

I was told that the Vaonis Stellina has a stronger Wi-Fi than the eVscope. Of course, I cannot say much about the Wi-Fi of the upcoming Vespera...

Best regards, Gerd

#7 king1522

king1522

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 14 January 2021 - 05:06 PM

Thanks Gerd. You,re probably right about the Stellnia but that sucker is 4 grand!, not sure I want to spend that much! Thanhs again.

Don

#8 gwal0

gwal0

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 January 2021 - 05:51 AM

Hi Don,

The Vespera will be around 1500 to 2000 $. But you will have to wait until next year. First deliveries are scheduled for Christmas 2021 for the backers. But after my eVscope experience, I would add one or two years (hopefully not!)...

Best regards, Gerd

#9 king1522

king1522

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 15 January 2021 - 05:07 PM

I wonder if a WIFI extender would help. Does anyone have any opinions on this?

Thanks

Don

#10 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Aurora

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 16 January 2021 - 07:04 AM

There are various types of WiFi extender. The best solution for me has been a dual band AC2600 MESH system. Previous WiFi extenders that I tried were flaky as they wanted to connect using  the 2.4Ghz channel.  By contrast, my BT WholeHome Disc system is rock steady and uses the less cluttered and not interference prone 5 Ghz channel. 

However, it takes three powered discs for the signal to leapfrog and reach my outdoor observatory (converted garage) . The primary disc is connected to my original router in my lounge. The second disc is 24 feet distant from that in my conservatory. The third Is 15 feet beyond that in my observatory. The signal has to navigate through a 4.5" brick wall and plasterboard insulation between each. It took me a while to work out exactly where best to locate these. Logic says make them equidistant apart, but the obstructions were highly material, hence the unequal distances. 

That nearest to my scope  (conservatory disc) now has a -51 dBm signal and that in my observatory is -58 dBm, both in an "excellent" range. If I remove the conservatory disc (hence my observatory then connects to disc1 in my lounge and my scope to observatory disk) , then the signal strength in my observatory will drop to an almost unusable -80 dBm. This highlights how an extra disc in a MESH system MIGHT be necessary as brick walls and like obstructions are challenging.  My scope (with mini-PC)  is then roughly equidistant from both conservatory and observatory discs (around 20 feet from each). The 'Mesh' effect of that makes such connectivity very reliable, indeed, zero drop outs. I now enjoy download speeds exceeding 50 Mbps and Upload at 15 Mbps (both limited by my older fibre broadband). Plenty fast enough for my 4K UHD end to end EAA system. Devices might be rated faster, but you will always be limited by your inherent limits of your broader network unless strictly peer to peer. 

Edited by Noah4x4, 16 January 2021 - 07:28 AM.

#11 king1522

king1522

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 16 January 2021 - 10:53 AM

Thanks Noah. That should work with my system. From my easy chair to the patio that I intend to set up the scope is right at 30'. Interesting, thanks again.

#12 benjamin.mirwald

benjamin.mirwald

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 June 2021 - 05:21 AM

Hello together! From my experience the wifi signal is stable in a distance up to 5m without obstructions. It already has an effect when I stand right next to the telescope with my back turned towards the eVscope.

I have successfully used an ASUS RP-AC53 Repeater to extend the eVscope's wifi signal. In that configuration, the scope stood in about 10 metres distance to the repeater and I was about 5 metres away from the repeater, with two walls in between.

For using it in the field, I plan to try a TL-WR802N because that USB powered and I hope it can extend the wifi range. I'll report back asap.

#13 dts350z

dts350z

Explorer 1

Posted 21 June 2021 - 07:42 PM

I am also interested to know if the eVscope can join an existing WiFi network, vs. being its own. It seems it can do that for uploading data but what about regular use?

I ask because it would be convenient for public outreach for the controlling device to also make a wireless connection to a projector, or to a computer running LetsView software (which could then be connected to a projector and/or stream the screen to devices without the need for the unistellar app being pre-installed).

#14 benjamin.mirwald

benjamin.mirwald

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 June 2021 - 03:27 PM

At least Unistellar vaguely announces that they plan to allow connecting to devices other than smartphones "later on": https://help.unistel...a-smartphone- ?

Although that is not possible yet, I found a nice workaround for a convenient way to do that: I just control my Android device from the PC with Scrcpy (https://github.com/Genymobile/scrcpy). It works perfectly and now I can show the eVscope imaging on a big PC screen rather than on the small smartphone. 

You could then attach the PC to a projector.

#15 dts350z

dts350z

Explorer 1

Posted 22 June 2021 - 04:04 PM

At least Unistellar vaguely announces that they plan to allow connecting to devices other than smartphones "later on": https://help.unistel...a-smartphone- ?

Although that is not possible yet, I found a nice workaround for a convenient way to do that: I just control my Android device from the PC with Scrcpy (https://github.com/Genymobile/scrcpy). It works perfectly and now I can show the eVscope imaging on a big PC screen rather than on the small smartphone. 

You could then attach the PC to a projector.

That's with the PC joined to the eVscope's WiFi?

If so I should be able to do similar with Letsview. https://letsview.com/windows

I have already tested LetsView free with both android and iOS devices. Then can project, as  you say, and/or screen stream to other devices (HLS format, no clients needed). That last would require a 2nd local WiFi (no internet required) or maybe also via the eVscope wiFi (would need to be tested).

#16 Jon_Doh

Jon_Doh

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Just South of Pluto

Posted 23 June 2021 - 08:42 AM

What about just buying a cheap sub $100 Android tablet to give you a bigger screen?

#17 dts350z

dts350z

Explorer 1

Posted 23 June 2021 - 09:38 AM

What about just buying a cheap sub $100 Android tablet to give you a bigger screen?

Two (similar) use cases; School Star Parties and General Public star parties. In general I would prefer no prerequisites. No app to download, no internet required, because some star party locations are have no cellphone coverage and I don't want to have to shepherd people through downloading and installing apps. Just a QR code to join the WiFi. For School parties, not every kid would have a phone, so a projector is a good choice, but the price of a number of inexpensive tablets, stands, and power supplies could be compared to the cost of a projector and screen. There would be some concern over the maintenance of the OS on the tablet vs. the app requirements. I'm guessing they would need to be generic android, vs. amazon, to insure access to the app?

For the general party I think it's safe to assume everyone/family could arrive with a phone/tablet, especially if you mention it in the announcements.  Again, greatly prefer no prerequisites/app needed, and have already worked out how to do this with other EAA or astrophotography setups via a local WiFi and lighted QR codes to join the WiFi and to view each telescope. That gets you beyond the 10 device limitation for eVscope as well. The sticking point, at the moment, is eVscope needing its own WiFi.

#18 benjamin.mirwald

benjamin.mirwald

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 June 2021 - 02:25 PM

That's with the PC joined to the eVscope's WiFi?

If so I should be able to do similar with Letsview. https://letsview.com/windows

I have already tested LetsView free with both android and iOS devices. Then can project, as  you say, and/or screen stream to other devices (HLS format, no clients needed). That last would require a 2nd local WiFi (no internet required) or maybe also via the eVscope wiFi (would need to be tested).

I controlled the eVscope via it's own WiFi like usual. Then connected the phone via a USB cable to the PC. In principle, Scrcpy also supports WiFi connections, but that can be laggy and instable. So I really recommend a USB connection.

Regarding star parties, another possibility may be to connect a mobile projector directly to the smart device that controls the eVscope. The smart device of course should have a video output, maybe over MHL or something similar.

#19 psychwolf

psychwolf

Vostok 1

• Loc: Milwaukee, WI

Posted 29 June 2021 - 05:08 PM

I would think my question has been answered before but my research hasn’t found anything useful. Does anyone know the range of the WIFI on the eVscope? I would like to control it from my easy chair in my living room which is about 30 feet away from where the scope will be. I’m 76 years old and injured my back recently. I underwent surgery to fix a compression fracture on a disc. Standing at my scope for hours as  I used to is out of the question. I also want a scope simple to set up. I don’t want to deal with a lot of cables and I think the eVscope is the answer. However, I don’t want to spend a bundle of money on this thing if it doesn’t fit into my plans. Currently, I’m thinking of buying a used one if I can find one.

I appreciate any and all comments.

Don

I control mine in that way some times when it's cold outside or want to project indoors to stream the feed, etc.. The range of the eVscope is about 10-15 feet. So I use a cheap wi-fi range extender, one that will not enforce a password requirement, and that will connect you in to the home Wi-Fi network from there. The Netgear N300 Wi-Fi Range Extender works for me. I can chain them together even if I need some more room to roam, like at a star party, etc.

• Jon_Doh likes this

#20 dts350z

dts350z

Explorer 1

Posted 29 June 2021 - 05:54 PM

I'm sorry but could you be more specific about "and that will connect you in to the home Wi-Fi network from there."? 

I'm not understanding how you get the eVscope WiFi to connect to the Home WiFi.

#21 psychwolf

psychwolf

Vostok 1

• Loc: Milwaukee, WI

Posted 30 June 2021 - 09:54 AM

I'm sorry but could you be more specific about "and that will connect you in to the home Wi-Fi network from there."? 

I'm not understanding how you get the eVscope WiFi to connect to the Home WiFi.

Sure, what I meant is once you've got a strong signal into the house, you can take advantage of other networked options from there, which may include all kinds of configurations like connecting in to a network port for ethernet direct in, having your laptop connect in, etc., since those extenders also have an ethernet connector. 

Or, stepping back a bit and going the simple route, you could just string together those wi-fi range extenders so that they just repeat the signal as far as you'd need it to go. If I'm at a star party or somewhere I know I'll be walking around a lot, I might hook up two wi-fi extenders to cover the range so I can slew to another target and maybe show someone as I'm at another station, etc. Once you configure them once, they'll remember the network they are supposed to extend, so I leave them in my eVscope backpack. If you're at home, simply plug one in by a window closest to the eVscope outside, then plug another in to replicate that network signal maybe halfway in the house. Then just connect to the one closest to you before you open up the Unistellar app and it'll find your scope. 

#22 Groundhog

Groundhog

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 16 July 2021 - 02:01 PM

Thanks for the simplicity of that answer and idea, Psychwolf. I'm close to taking the plunge on an EQuinox scope, and trying to learn all I can about glitches and workarounds (and joys!) before I do.

#23 bmwscopeguy

bmwscopeguy

Mariner 2

• Loc: Oak Bay, New Brunswick

Posted 14 September 2021 - 05:07 PM

I have found the useful, unobstructed range for my Evscope is about 30ft.

I used to set my scope up in the field about 30ft from my camper trailer in the driveway, and sit in the trailer with my tablet and image from there.

Any further than that, and you'll find the EVscope will loose connection occasionally. Note: when it does this, it is still autonomously tracking, you can re-establish the wifi connection by moving a bit closer without disturbing your imaging session.

However, you may have to leave your Chablis on the trailer dining table....lol

• Jon_Doh likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics