•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Question regarding range of the WIFI on eVscope

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 king1522

king1522

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Corpus Christi, TX

Posted 13 January 2021 - 04:32 PM

I would think my question has been answered before but my research hasn’t found anything useful. Does anyone know the range of the WIFI on the eVscope? I would like to control it from my easy chair in my living room which is about 30 feet away from where the scope will be. I’m 76 years old and injured my back recently. I underwent surgery to fix a compression fracture on a disc. Standing at my scope for hours as  I used to is out of the question. I also want a scope simple to set up. I don’t want to deal with a lot of cables and I think the eVscope is the answer. However, I don’t want to spend a bundle of money on this thing if it doesn’t fit into my plans. Currently, I’m thinking of buying a used one if I can find one.

I appreciate any and all comments.

Don

#2 GazingOli

GazingOli

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Stuttgart GERMANY

Posted 14 January 2021 - 01:49 AM

Hi Don,

you will find tons of info on the eVscope here: http://www.waloszek...._evscope0_e.php

Probably your question will also be answered somewhere in the text. If not, feel free to contact Gerd via eMail. I am sure he will answer your question if possible. As far as I know he is controlling the scope from indoors, too. But I do not know the distance to the scope.

CS.Oli

#3 king1522

king1522

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 January 2021 - 10:01 AM

Thanks, CS.Oli

#4 GazingOli

GazingOli

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Stuttgart GERMANY

Posted 14 January 2021 - 11:30 AM

You are welcome!

Clear skies . Oli(ver)

#5 king1522

king1522

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 January 2021 - 01:11 PM

Thanks again, Oliver. Interesting website with lots of info. One of the things he discussed was the Vaonis Vespera which is due to be out in a year or so. Smaller but a viable alternative to the eVscope and Stellina. It's supposed to a lot less expensive, but that's to be seen.

Don

#6 gwal0

gwal0

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 January 2021 - 02:40 PM

Hi Don,

I just stumbled over your post...

You will not find an answer to your question on my Website, because I get very inconsistent results. I read two reviews, where the reviewers mentioned that 10 m would work. I am usually closer to the eVscope on my terrace (2 to 5 m). This works, but sometimes, the Wi-Fi connection breaks even under such conditions.

As Oliver wrote, I also use the eVscope from our kitchen when it stands on the terrace. Usually, I do not get a stable connection this way and have to go into our winter garden or even on the terrace to re-establish the connection after a break-down. So, it does work in a way, but it is not a truly pleasant experience...

I was told that the Vaonis Stellina has a stronger Wi-Fi than the eVscope. Of course, I cannot say much about the Wi-Fi of the upcoming Vespera...

Best regards, Gerd

#7 king1522

king1522

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 January 2021 - 05:06 PM

Thanks Gerd. You,re probably right about the Stellnia but that sucker is 4 grand!, not sure I want to spend that much! Thanhs again.

Don

#8 gwal0

gwal0

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 January 2021 - 05:51 AM

Hi Don,

The Vespera will be around 1500 to 2000 $. But you will have to wait until next year. First deliveries are scheduled for Christmas 2021 for the backers. But after my eVscope experience, I would add one or two years (hopefully not!)...

Best regards, Gerd

#9 king1522

king1522

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 January 2021 - 05:07 PM

I wonder if a WIFI extender would help. Does anyone have any opinions on this?

Thanks

Don

#10 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Skylab

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 16 January 2021 - 07:04 AM

There are various types of WiFi extender. The best solution for me has been a dual band AC2600 MESH system. Previous WiFi extenders that I tried were flaky as they wanted to connect using  the 2.4Ghz channel.  By contrast, my BT WholeHome Disc system is rock steady and uses the less cluttered and not interference prone 5 Ghz channel. 

However, it takes three powered discs for the signal to leapfrog and reach my outdoor observatory (converted garage) . The primary disc is connected to my original router in my lounge. The second disc is 24 feet distant from that in my conservatory. The third Is 15 feet beyond that in my observatory. The signal has to navigate through a 4.5" brick wall and plasterboard insulation between each. It took me a while to work out exactly where best to locate these. Logic says make them equidistant apart, but the obstructions were highly material, hence the unequal distances. 

That nearest to my scope  (conservatory disc) now has a -51 dBm signal and that in my observatory is -58 dBm, both in an "excellent" range. If I remove the conservatory disc (hence my observatory then connects to disc1 in my lounge and my scope to observatory disk) , then the signal strength in my observatory will drop to an almost unusable -80 dBm. This highlights how an extra disc in a MESH system MIGHT be necessary as brick walls and like obstructions are challenging.  My scope (with mini-PC)  is then roughly equidistant from both conservatory and observatory discs (around 20 feet from each). The 'Mesh' effect of that makes such connectivity very reliable, indeed, zero drop outs. I now enjoy download speeds exceeding 50 Mbps and Upload at 15 Mbps (both limited by my older fibre broadband). Plenty fast enough for my 4K UHD end to end EAA system. Devices might be rated faster, but you will always be limited by your inherent limits of your broader network unless strictly peer to peer. 

Edited by Noah4x4, 16 January 2021 - 07:28 AM.

#11 king1522

king1522

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 January 2021 - 10:53 AM

Thanks Noah. That should work with my system. From my easy chair to the patio that I intend to set up the scope is right at 30'. Interesting, thanks again.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics