•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Spectral Profiles of M42, V1150 Tau, and Psi Per

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 brownrb1

brownrb1

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 13 January 2021 - 06:16 PM

M42_01122021JPEG.jpg V1150 Tau_JPEG.jpg psi Per_20201206T044736_JPEG.jpg

Hi,

I was out last night for the first time in a few weeks and imaged the spectra of M42 and Be star V1150 Tau. I used Demetra to acquire the spectra but was unable to do the data reduction using Demetra and used RSpec instead. I don't know if you can use Demetra to do the data reduction of an extended object. V1150 Tau it is a fairly faint star (V-7.6) and I'm not able to get that good of spectra with my set up yet. With both objects I used a f/10 Meade SCT with a f/6.3 focal reducer, an Alpy 600 with a 23 um slit, and an Atik Infinity monochrome camera. M42 was a 600 s exposure and V1150 Tau 300 s. I haven't started using PHD2 yet (that was my main problem with V1150 Tau) but that's next on my list of things to do. V1150 Tau is a B2.5Vne star-indicating that it is a main sequence type B star with emission spectra. One can see that the spectrum of the V1150 Tau is noisy and I've also attached a profile of psi Per, which I acquired about a month ago, where I used Demetra to do the data reduction- I had about 8 images and subtracted the bias, dark, and flat frames, showing the contrast in the quality of the 2 profiles. I do like Be stars and, maybe at some point, will be able to get a higher resolution spectrograph, but I enjoy what I have now.

Thanks

Dick

• mwr, Tangerman and DJL like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics