•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

5 Amp charger on my Evolution?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jgbackes

jgbackes

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 January 2021 - 06:18 PM

Does anyone know if I can use the "Celestron AC Adapter - 5 Amp (CGEM, CGE Pro)" on my Evolution? I saw a setting in the HC to set the number of AMPs to a Maximum of 5?

Page 18 of the manual states:

External Power allows you to select a higher input current if you are using a higher capacity power supply. Values can be between 2 and 5 amperes as specified on your power supply. Do not change this setting unless you are using a larger capacity supply. The included power supply should always be set to 2.0A.

I'm hoping to be able to charge my battery quicker as well as have a more secure attachment to the power base.

Thanks

jeff

Edited by jgbackes, 13 January 2021 - 09:24 PM.

#2 imrj

imrj

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 13 January 2021 - 08:55 PM

Hmmm... The amps dont matter as long as the voltage being correct, the source will draw the amps it needs, but it won't deal to well with incorrect voltage

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Edited by imrj, 13 January 2021 - 08:56 PM.

#3 imrj

imrj

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 13 January 2021 - 08:58 PM

I have a 100A capable LiFe on mine, but will never use that much, and it wont hurt it, only incorrect voltage will kill it

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

#4 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Author of The NexStar Users Guide

• Vendors

Posted 13 January 2021 - 09:39 PM

You do need to change the setting for Peripherals -> Power -> Supply in the menu.  See this page of my website:

https://www.nexstars...dsEvolution.htm

and read the article "The Evolution and External Power" for more details than provided in the manual.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
https://www.NexStarSite.com

• rboe likes this

#5 mlord

mlord

Messenger

• Loc: Ottawa, Canada

Posted 13 January 2021 - 11:47 PM

Does anyone know if I can use the "Celestron AC Adapter - 5 Amp (CGEM, CGE Pro)" on my Evolution? I saw a setting in the HC to set the number of AMPs to a Maximum of 5?

No worries about the adapter, so long as it has the correct plug and outputs regulated 12VDC.

If you also change the setting on the mount to 5Amps, then yes, the battery will charge more quickly.

#6 jgbackes

jgbackes

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 January 2021 - 11:57 PM

Thanks.

jeff

#7 junomike

junomike

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 14 January 2021 - 08:14 AM

You do need to change the setting for Peripherals -> Power -> Supply in the menu.  See this page of my website:

https://www.nexstars...dsEvolution.htm

and read the article "The Evolution and External Power" for more details than provided in the manual.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
https://www.NexStarSite.com

Did not know this or even consider it a potential issue.  Great tip!

#8 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 14 January 2021 - 10:05 AM

Hmmm... The amps dont matter as long as the voltage being correct, the source will draw the amps it needs, but it won't deal to well with incorrect voltage

This is true for all electrical devices except those that have an internal battery that depends on the external power source to help regulate it's re charging rate. The Evolution is the only mount in the Celestron line up with this requirement. 

The LiFePO battery in the Evolution needs to be re charged at a controlled rate to ensure a long lifespan so there's a setting in the hand controller. The default 2 amp setting ensures that external devices with more amperage potential aren't going to cause lifespan issues. The appropriate amperage is within a range so you can as mentioned above increase the setting up to 5 amps if you are also using an appropriate external power source. 

If someone has an external power source that's capable of more than 2amps sustained then they have the option of leaving the setting where it is or increasing it which will charge the battery faster at the expense of a slightly reduced lifespan, but going well beyond 5 amps continuous when charging batteries in this configuration will more rapidly reduce the lifespan (number of use/recharge cycles). 

Edited by mclewis1, 14 January 2021 - 10:06 AM.

• Jim4321 likes this

#9 mlord

mlord

Messenger

Posted 14 January 2021 - 10:30 AM

The LiFePO battery in the Evolution needs to be re charged at a controlled rate to ensure a long lifespan so there's a setting in the hand controller. The default 2 amp setting ensures that external devices with more amperage potential aren't going to cause lifespan issues.

I don't think that's quite right.  The charging rate is controlled by the charge circuitry inside the mount.  By default it will draw a max of about 1.9amps from an external PSU.  If one connects a PSU with a higher rating, the mount has no way of knowing that, and will still draw only a max of about 1.9amps.

The purpose of the amperage setting on the mount is to protect the external PSU, not the battery.  If one sets it to 5amps, and connects a more typical 2amp PSU, the mount may draw much higher than 2amps from it (to charge the internal battery more quickly), but the external PSU will likely get very hot and die (or catch fire or...).

#10 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 14 January 2021 - 04:05 PM

It's both, the internal circuitry does indeed control the charging rate and the setting does also protect the external power source. Way back there was some experimentation with the hand controller setting and the internal battery did indeed charge faster when both the setting was changed and the external power source was capable of delivering the higher amperage. I'm not sure if it's a linear response (a 4 amp setting being twice as fast as 2 amps) but there was a noted difference, and I know Celestron was concerned about the battery being charged properly when a variety of power sources were use.

When the Evolution was initially introduced I heard from a few dealers that Celestron was very sensitive to or concerned about the internal battery being "abused" from poor charging procedures, so a lot of work went into the protections provided by that charging logic. 

#11 mlord

mlord

Messenger

Posted 14 January 2021 - 04:49 PM

That's because the first generation Evo was wired with the wrong kind of battery charge circuit -- the hardware designers had apparently assumed Lithium-Ion, but the battery was Lithium-Iron-Phosphate.  Subsequent hardware revisions fixed the charge circuit.

I forget where I read that, but I think it was somewhere here on CN.

Cheers

#12 mlord

mlord

Messenger

Posted 14 January 2021 - 05:12 PM

Ahh.. here's the link:  https://www.cloudyni...side/?p=8410619

It was the "PCM board" in the battery pack itself that was the wrong type:

"Look at the photo of the PCM board. It is a board for Li-ion batteries. Thus it was allowing the batteries to charge as high as 12.6 volts DC.  The LiFePo battery pack should never be charged over 10.95 volts DC. I suspect that this may have been part of the cause of so many of the early Evolution mount battery failures."

Edited by mlord, 14 January 2021 - 05:14 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics