•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Esprit 100 w/Pegasus FocusCube 2 Transport

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Domer

Domer

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego, CA, USA

Posted 13 January 2021 - 09:28 PM

I have a question for all of you who have this configuration - how do you transport the telescope?  With the Focus Cube attached, it no longer fits into the SkyWatcher case, right?  And I don't think anyone wants to go through the hassle of detaching and re-attaching the Focus Cube every time the telescope needs to be transported.  At least, there appears to be no easy way to do that.

#2 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 13 January 2021 - 09:49 PM

I have the same setup and transport the scope and FocusCube2 attached in the SW trunk.  Cut a notch out of the foam for the focuser assuming the focuser is on the top (scope upside down).  You will need to remove the RJ-45 connection to the temperature probe.  I can post a picture if needed.

Simple...

Edited by Jim Waters, 13 January 2021 - 09:51 PM.

• elmiko and Omeganon like this

#3 Marcelofig

Marcelofig

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 January 2021 - 09:54 PM

How long is the distance to transport it? For short distances a tripod bag is useful, and you can add bubble wrap or a similar material for a better fit.

But for long distances or difficult terrain I doubt that it offers good protection.

https://www.amazon.c...357&sr=8-3&th=1

#4 Domer

Domer

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 January 2021 - 10:50 PM

I have the same setup and transport the scope and FocusCube2 attached in the SW trunk.  Cut a notch out of the foam for the focuser assuming the focuser is on the top (scope upside down).  You will need to remove the RJ-45 connection to the temperature probe.  I can post a picture if needed.

Simple...

Hi Jim - a photo would be very helpful.

#5 Domer

Domer

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 January 2021 - 10:54 PM

How long is the distance to transport it? For short distances a tripod bag is useful, and you can add bubble wrap or a similar material for a better fit.

But for long distances or difficult terrain I doubt that it offers good protection.

https://www.amazon.c...357&sr=8-3&th=1

Usually about 85 miles each way in my car, mostly highway, but unpaved dirt road for the last 1/2 mile (5 MPH max).  But there may be occasions for longer transport, and someday I may need to fly with it.

#6 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 January 2021 - 11:03 PM

Hi Jim - a photo would be very helpful.

I sometimes drive 3+ hours with the scope in the SW Trunk.  That includes ~4 miles of dirt road.

https://www.cloudyni...00mm-transport/

EDIT - Sorry the image is distorted.  CN upload did something funny.

Edited by Jim Waters, 13 January 2021 - 11:06 PM.

• elmiko likes this

#7 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 January 2021 - 11:12 PM

Is this better?

https://www.cloudyni...113-205912-002/

• elmiko, Cfreerksen and Omeganon like this

#8 Domer

Domer

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 January 2021 - 09:58 AM

Thanks, Jim - that's perfect.  I'll give that a try.

#9 Omeganon

Omeganon

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Joelton, TN

Posted 14 January 2021 - 08:09 PM

Simple...

This is exactly what I did. Cut the foam out all the way back to the hard partition. Works out just fine. The racket balls protecting the scope keep it from hitting. 

#10 Omeganon

Omeganon

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Joelton, TN

Posted 14 January 2021 - 08:12 PM

I actually have mine flipped over compared to this. I thought it would provide better protection -

https://imgur.com/gallery/eCQ0DLn

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics