•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Polar aligning with Sharpcap

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 fawnsintheforest

fawnsintheforest

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 January 2021 - 09:50 PM

I am trying to use Sharpcap to polar align my SW EQM35 mount. I rotate the mount 90deg in RA and get the PA error to excellent, but then I rotate the mount 90deg back to the home position and the PA error now says poor.  I'm assuming that it should stay at excellent, right? 

Also, I noticed when I look through the polar scope on the mount after doing the polar alignment in Sharpcap, the position of Polaris is below the clock circle by a good amount.  Should Polaris be close to the position on the clock face (according to the PA app on my phone) after polar aligning in Sharpcap? 

I'm wondering if there are issues with the mount I have to fix like cone error or something? 

Thank you!

#2 Cfreerksen

Cfreerksen

Apollo

• Loc: Tooele, Ut

Posted 13 January 2021 - 10:23 PM

Nope. You just follow the steps as indicated. you let it platesolve and hit next. rotate and perform the alt and az adjustments to get it to good or excellent. done. start imaging.

Chris

• limeyx and fawnsintheforest like this

#3 terrypaula

terrypaula

Ranger 4

Posted 13 January 2021 - 11:02 PM

Don't be concerned about seeing Polaris too much, I never see it in my 102 while aligning; I only see Polaris in my polar scope.  Just follow the directions and you'll be fine.

• wrnchhead and fawnsintheforest like this

#4 Omeganon

Omeganon

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Joelton, TN

Posted 14 January 2021 - 08:21 PM

I am trying to use Sharpcap to polar align my SW EQM35 mount. I rotate the mount 90deg in RA and get the PA error to excellent, but then I rotate the mount 90deg back to the home position and the PA error now says poor.  I'm assuming that it should stay at excellent, right? 

After the second platesolve, I generally rotate my scope back to the home position before doing the final alignment. Sharpcap deals with that just fine. 

Edited by Omeganon, 14 January 2021 - 08:22 PM.

• fawnsintheforest likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics