•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Can you ID this scope...Sears?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 MikeB 2

MikeB 2

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 27 August 2006 - 06:57 PM

This was my first telescope. Got it a little after Christmas 1986. I'm trying to remember if it came from Sears or JC Penny. I bought a 1986 Sears Wishbook from E-bay thinking it may be in there...well it's not. Possibly may be in the 1986 Sears Fall and Winter catalog. Like a lot of us I sold it a few years back (dirt cheap by the way) thinking that I didn't want it anymore. Now I wish I still had it. Would at least like to find the original catalog it was featured in...would be fantastic if I could find the scope itself! ANY help will be greatly appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1117085-60mm Refractor (Medium).jpg

#2 MikeB 2

MikeB 2

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 27 August 2006 - 07:10 PM

By the way everyone, sorry about the poor quality photo of the scope. The original photo had a very goofy looking 13-14 year old me standing behind it. I erased myself out of the photo and this is what's left of the telescope. The OTA was blue. The dew shield was black with silver encircling it. It had a knob on the side of the finder that directed the light from the tube either up to the finder or out the back of the tube to the EP. It had a very wobbly tripod and mount. Slow motion cable for azimuth and a very shaky slow motion wheel/knob for altitude. Had a couple EP's, barlow, zoom and solar projection screen which attached over the diagonal or focuser. I sure had great fun with it even though looking back on the set-up it was HORRIBLE! :tonofbricks: Well, hope the additional info helps. Just being nostalgic...

#3 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors

Posted 27 August 2006 - 08:27 PM

Looks very similar to a Jason telescope I had from the same era. The big similarity is the "flip" mirror which directs light either to the ep or the integrated finder. I still have mine, but it is in HORRIBLE condition and the glass is scratched and abused beyond help. Long ago I stripped it of parts.

In my case, the OTA is silver, the dew shield is black and it has the same two silver lines encircling it. I would wager they were built by the same source. I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and say that scope was a Jason (not sure who sold Jason though)....

Clear dark skies...

MikeG

#4 MikeB 2

MikeB 2

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 16 September 2006 - 07:28 PM

Found the original ad in a 1986 Fall and Winter catalog.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1151506-1986 telescope 1 (Medium).jpg

#5 refractory

refractory

Apollo

Posted 16 September 2006 - 08:02 PM

$99.99 in '86????? What are the eyepieces supposed to be, NAGLERS for cryin' out loud???

Jess Tauber

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics