•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Bright Zodiacal Light

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 John Rogers

John Rogers

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 January 2021 - 11:26 PM

It is finally clear and I noticed that the Zodiacal was quite bright tonight.  It was almost as bright as the Milky Way and extended to 60 degrees elevation near Mars.

• ShaulaB, ButterFly and ziggeman like this

#2 Richard O'Neill

Richard O'Neill

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 13 January 2021 - 11:44 PM

You must be in the boonies.

#3 quazy4quasars

quazy4quasars

Messenger

• Loc: Northern Sierra Foothills, CA.

Posted 14 January 2021 - 12:11 AM

It is finally clear and I noticed that the Zodiacal was quite bright tonight.  It was almost as bright as the Milky Way and extended to 60 degrees elevation near Mars.

A dry, clean, stable dark sky can really make the difference.  Were you able to see the anti-solar Counterglow?   The Zodiacal Light is remarkably sensitive to even a minimal amount of LP washout.  Sometimes you'd expect it to be easier, other times it leaps out at you, but a meh sky will hide it completely or at least to where you might only sense it if you nod your head rapidly! lol.gif

#4 John Rogers

John Rogers

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 January 2021 - 12:21 AM

We have Bortle 2 skies, and there is absolutely no light pollution to the west.  I've not searched for the Gegenschein for some time because it requires me to be up early in the morning.

Tonight, a thin layer of clouds came in and spoiled my attempt for Horsehead, and the humidity is quite high.

#5 John Rogers

John Rogers

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 January 2021 - 12:28 AM

Here is a link to a photo I took last year.  Tonight it was brighter and extended higher.

https://www.cloudyni...ght/?p=10063245

• ShaulaB likes this

#6 ButterFly

ButterFly

Surveyor 1

Posted 14 January 2021 - 02:07 AM

We have Bortle 2 skies, and there is absolutely no light pollution to the west.  I've not searched for the Gegenschein for some time because it requires me to be up early in the morning.

Tonight, a thin layer of clouds came in and spoiled my attempt for Horsehead, and the humidity is quite high.

Gegenschein is always directly opposite the sun, so near midnight is when it is the highest on any given night near the meridian and ecliptic.  Midnight is also when the dust of the Gegenschein is in full phase near its brightest.  That point can easily get lost in the Milky Way's glow.  The Gegenschein is thus best viewed at those times of the year when ecliptic and Milky Way are the farthest apart on the meridian at midnight.  For mid-latitudes, that's about late summer/early fall and late winter/early spring.  Right now, it's about fifteen degrees away from the plane of the Mily Way.  Feb-April is the next good season.

Gegenschein is also always near the ecliptic, so the Moon and planets can get in the way.  Mars was close to the Gegenschein for quite some during this past viewing period.  I had to block out Mars and wait a minute for my eyes to adjust to see it well.

• John Rogers likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics