•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Finding a hand drawn pattern in the stars?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dmonty

dmonty

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 January 2021 - 01:58 AM

A friend gave me some riddle games to solve and I'm wondering if there is a software program and method to figure it out?

I've attached a star pattern seen from Turkey visible to the human eye without a scope seen during sunset in the spring.  I'm guessing there is a margin of error in his drawing was only 5mm tall.

How would I go about solving the riddles on my own?

Thanks

sketch_overlay.jpg

#2 Star Geezer

Star Geezer

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Lat. N 40º 56' Long. W 87º 8'

Posted 14 January 2021 - 03:52 AM

Cassiopeia

#3 alder1

alder1

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 January 2021 - 05:02 AM

Yup.

#4 therealdmt

therealdmt

Ranger 4

Posted 14 January 2021 - 05:31 AM

Use a computer program, web app or smartphone app such as Stellarium that shows the night sky from a specific location, date and time.

In the case above, it was a very famous constellation with well-agreed upon component stars, so if there are others, they will probably be at a similar level of difficulty.

A tricky aspect can be that some people/programs might draw a constellation differently (use different stars or connect the stars with different lines) than others will for that same constellation.

Another tricky part can be that some well known star patterns such as The Big Dipper or The Summer Triangle are not official constellations but rather are known as “asterisms”

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics