•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

need some help with using Orion SSAG

Orion astrophotography accessories
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BABOafrica

BABOafrica

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Nairobi (Kenya)

Posted 14 January 2021 - 02:31 AM

I have been using an Orion Star Shooter Auto Guider (SSAG) for several years. Never had a problem.

I got an extra laptop to help with my AP setup. It's the exact same as my old laptop -- a Dell Inspiron N5050. Both run Windows 10.

I installed the exact same SSAG software (SSAGdrvfull5.1) and the exact same PHD2 software (phd2-2.6.1-installer) in my new laptop.

When I open PHD2--as I have done hundreds of times on my old laptop--and try to connect the SSAG, PHD2 tells me that the connection failed.

I have tried connecting to each of the 3 USB ports on the laptop. All three give the same result.

I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong.

I'm sure the problem is NOT the cable or the SSAG. The camera still connects when using the old laptop.

I want to use the new laptop because the keyboard on the old laptop no longer works and other features are acting strange (I can no longer open MS Word or Excel).

Any ideas ???

Joe

#2 pbmazda32

pbmazda32

Vostok 1

• Loc: Central Alabama

Posted 14 January 2021 - 04:52 AM

I had the same problem for awhile. Turns out I was choosing the wrong SSAG in the PhD setup wizard. I can't remember exactly, but it listed an SSAG and I believe a different one near the bottom of the list. I can't be more specific because its been awhile and I'm using a different camera now, but maybe it will give you something to look for.
  • BABOafrica likes this

#3 pbmazda32

pbmazda32

Vostok 1

Posted 14 January 2021 - 04:57 AM

I was able to look it up. It lists the camera twice. In one spot it says CMOS SSAG (ascom), and in another spot it lists it as Starshoot Autoguider
  • BABOafrica likes this

#4 BABOafrica

BABOafrica

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Nairobi (Kenya)

Posted 14 January 2021 - 09:13 AM

Oh...  Yeah...  Feels so silly not having seen the obvious (now that you made it obvious).

I was selecting something called Orion Star Shoot instead of the one for Star Shoot Auto Guider -- which as you said, is almost at the bottom of the list. I kept looking for Orion... But the correct choice says nothing about Orion.

MANY thanks for helping me out with this one.

Joe

#5 pbmazda32

pbmazda32

Vostok 1

Posted 14 January 2021 - 05:52 PM

Glad I could help.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Orion, astrophotography, accessories

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics