•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SharpCap Polar alignment with 3rd party plate solvers at low latitudes.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Cmahesh

Cmahesh

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Galle, Srilanka

Posted 14 January 2021 - 03:16 AM

It is well known that in SharpCap polar alignment routine, it's built-in plate solving works only within 5 degrees from the north or south celestial poles. But SharpCap also allows using of 3rd party plate solvers as well. So, do those third party plate solvers make it is possible to use SharpCap polar alignment for much larger offsets from the celestial poles?

(I living in a low latitude (6.04N) location (Galle - Srilanka) where I don't have a good view of NCP at all. I am using PEMPro 3 for polar alignment at the moment and it is too complicated and time consuming (Sometimes about 1 1/2 hours) significantly reducing the time available for imaging. Even with that, maximum I can get is PA within 1 - 2 arc minutes. Due to the weather conditions in my area it is quite rare to have a clear sky time for imaging. So, even that 1 1/2 hours is precious for me).

Thank you.

#2 Dynan

Dynan

Fly Me to the Moon

• Vendors
  • Loc: NOLA

Posted 14 January 2021 - 05:19 AM

This method works well:

https://www.cwjames....ignment_ccd.htm

Can you leave the scope undisturbed once you have alignment?

#3 Tapio

Tapio

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 14 January 2021 - 05:38 AM

Is the PEMpro method some kind of variation of drift alignment method ?

Anyway 1-2 arc minutes is good enough PA accuracy.

Can't you make some sort of marks in ground where your mount stands ?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics