•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Edmund Scientific 1966 6" Reflector

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 maccwall

maccwall

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Lone Oak, Texas

Posted 14 January 2021 - 11:17 AM

I have owned this scope for a number of years but have not used it in a long period of time. I recently bought a 1976 C8 Orange Tube that has reignited my interest in astronomy and I would like to get this scope back to or close to her former glory. I have recently started taking it apart, cleaning the dust and cleaning the mirror but after doing some hard research, thanks to this forum and apfever, I have found that this scope is missing pieces which I am hoping someone may be able to help in directing me to finding or making some, specifically the setting circles and pointers. And since cleaning it, the cover for the drive motor with the date of manufacture is missing and I have yet to locate it. I do know the date stamped on the cover, which was 1966, making the scope the same age as me! I found it on the curb in someones garbage pile after picking up my daughter from school probably 20 years ago. I knocked on the door and inquired about it and they said take it, which I promptly did! I used it for a while not knowing much about it and just basically did star hopping to find things as well as planet observing and the moon but with the weight of it, it is not a very portable scope. Fast forward to now, I live in the country with dark sky's that I can view the milky way with even with the back porch lights on and a backyard I can use it in. It offered great views of the things I found years ago, and I even have one of the original EP's for it, a 10mm K. So I am hoping someone can help locate or make the parts I need to get her back on her feet to be utilized. The optics are in great condition with only the slightest blemish on the primary on the very very edge of the glass. Eye pieces have a bit of play in them when placed in the focuser but the focuser itself moves smoothly. I appreciate any help that can be given. PLease click on the link for the images in my gallery.

Thanks

Todd

https://www.cloudyni...15659-edmund-6/

Edited by maccwall, 14 January 2021 - 02:30 PM.

#2 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: NE Kansas

Posted 14 January 2021 - 11:32 AM

Ok I am 99% sure the drive motor I have is the same one. Mine was a 4.25 model, but the mount looks identical. I actually have two motors, and they both worked if I remember correctly. I repurposed my OTA into a dob (yeah I know, horrors) and the motors are just sitting around collecting dust. I'd be more than happy to let you have them for the cost of shipping. Better they do something for someone instead of just occupy space in my storage.

When I get home I will pull them out and PM you, I think I'm on the edge of the forum rules even proposing this in an open thread. 

Also, love that scope! For what it's worth to the purists, my mount as a donor has helped a few of these old rigs get up and running. 

#3 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 14 January 2021 - 11:33 AM

One other thing, I am not 100% sure they are the same. If apfever or someone else knows yay/nay on that, I'd love to know for sure. I'm no Edmund expert, I just have owned one and done a little reading. 

Edited by wrnchhead, 14 January 2021 - 11:34 AM.

#4 maccwall

maccwall

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 January 2021 - 11:36 AM

Thank you wrnchhead! I'll look forward to your message. 

#5 mattyfatz

mattyfatz

Gemini

• Loc: Boise Idaho

Posted 14 January 2021 - 11:43 AM

Todd,

Back then Edmund sold complete scopes as well as kits, and all the parts were available individually. If you can get your hands on a copy of All About Telescopes, you’ll find the details for creating setting circles and pointers. Vintage Edmund items also pop up at Surplus Shed  frequently. Here are some stock PDF templates that are intended for Dobsonians and another here..

I think you can get creative and make effective setting circles and pointers with these. Finally,

Edmund optical still produces brand new RKE eyepieces.  Not cheap anymore, but excellent eyepieces and as close as you can get to a new Edmund product.

hope this helps..

• maccwall and wrnchhead like this

#6 ngc7319_20

ngc7319_20

Surveyor 1

• Loc: MD

Posted 14 January 2021 - 12:47 PM

OMG what a find!!!

I think the setting circles are pretty optional.  My similar scope has them, but I almost never use them.  Its easier to star hop.

Some kind of zero power finder would help in finding stuff, though its not "original."  Maybe something like a Rigel Quick Finder could be attached at one of the existing extra holes.    Maybe you can find one second hand.

https://www.highpoin...1x-finder-r-crs

https://agenaastro.c...quikfinder.html

Maybe a temporary cover for the motor could be made from a 2" lens cap, pill bottle lid, etc., and some tape, etc.  Just need to keep water out.

• maccwall likes this

#7 bremms

bremms

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SC

Posted 14 January 2021 - 12:59 PM

Nice telescope! One thing I found with the old Edmunds is that the secondary gets distorted a bit being glued to the holder. On a 4.25" used silicone and a 6" we remounted the secondary in a Novak spider. This allowed more flexibility with collimation as well.

• maccwall and mattyfatz like this

#8 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 14 January 2021 - 01:09 PM

4143245B-5CC3-4402-A67B-1A91B180264D.jpeg

• maccwall and mattyfatz like this

#9 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 14 January 2021 - 01:12 PM

2200EAF7-94DE-4327-84A1-B5BD7F6538AF.jpeg

I believe these may be the pointers you are wanting? The sitting circles were broken when I got it and I also concluded they were pretty useless but I can understand a guy wanting to have everything. I put them in my bucket of Evapo-Rust (a miracle product) if everything is compatible, this would be a great destiny for these parts. 

• maccwall, mattyfatz and Bomber Bob like this

#10 maccwall

maccwall

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 January 2021 - 02:28 PM

Awesome wrnchhead, yes sir please! That is what those look like from the research I have done. Just PM me when you get the opportunity!

ngc7319_20, I actually already have Rigel Quikfinder. I actually have two. I bought another when I got my C8! It's what I had used on the 6" when I was utilizing it. If you look on one of the pictures with pictures of the focuser I think, you can see the tape where the mount for it used to be. The finder that is mounted on it is the original one.

• mattyfatz and ngc7319_20 like this

#11 maccwall

maccwall

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 January 2021 - 02:30 PM

And thank you  for the links mattyfatz.

• mattyfatz likes this

#12 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 14 January 2021 - 06:15 PM

Hey Todd, what'd I tell ya?  Can't go wrong with this forum.  Welcome to the Classics.

• maccwall, mattyfatz, strdst and 1 other like this

#13 maccwall

maccwall

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 January 2021 - 02:59 PM

I thought I had seen somewhere on here that someone makes.cuts out the rubber spacers for the setting circles for the mounts on the scopes. Any know? I cannot find where I had found that.

#14 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 15 January 2021 - 03:25 PM

I make those, made a boat load so far but had all the scopes for them.  I still have a long piece of the original style rubber with mesh reinforcement. I need to do some soon as I have several grey mounts waiting now. I'll put a note in the special string when I have them done. Mine are the exact thickness and a hair wider but short of covering any print. 

• maccwall likes this

#15 maccwall

maccwall

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 January 2021 - 12:32 PM

What is the diameter of the setting circles on these mounts?

#16 maccwall

maccwall

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 February 2021 - 12:13 PM

Okie dokie. During the Blizzard of 21 in Texas, I had some time to dismantle the OTA of the scope. It is very dusty. The primary looks to be in good shape although there appears to be some small areas of concern. I have not cleaned it as we still do not have any water so hopefully soon. The focuser tube seems to go up and down smoothly. Any tips on a grease to use for it would be welcome. There are 4 holes drilled in the bottom of the primary all in a row as if someone added them to move the primary up or down in the tube for whatever reason. Would be interested in what exact holes to use two are pretty obvious that they were drilled at one point. The secondary looks to be in great shape as does the finder. Now I just need to get it cleaned up. I did find a post that recommends a paint for the mount and that will be another project but does anyone recommend a white paint for the OTA tube and finder? Think I'll go to the hardware store and purchase SS hardware fo this thing and ditch the other hardware. Any suggestions would be appreciative. I am still looking for a diameter of what the setting circles are for these mounts. I have an idea for the pointers. And also some ideas for the clamps to hold the OTA to the mount, as I was taking it apart, one of the clamps broke due to rust.

https://www.cloudyni...nd-6-dismantle/

Edited by maccwall, 22 February 2021 - 12:16 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics