•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Need help deciding on first microscope...Considering OMAX 40X-2500X Digital LED Trinocular Microscope with 5MP USB Camera

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mondo1948

mondo1948

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Westbrook, Connecticut

Posted 14 January 2021 - 11:00 PM

Hello Friends,

I'm finding myself with enough time on my hands, like a lot of people, to get into new hobbies and as some seniors are doing, I'm starting to relive my youth through hobbies.   Heck, I've already been flying radio-controlled airplanes for over 10 years, just like I did in the sixties.  I recently ordered my first telescope and now I'm wanting to get a microscope.  As a kid back in the early sixties, I had both, but they were inexpensive, basic "instruments".  However, they got me interested in science and I ended up studying biology in college and actually taught high school biology for a couple of years.

I'm thinking of getting the omax microscope mentioned above.  It seems it should let me view the kinds of things I'm interested in....pond water, blood, prepared slides, etc.  I especially like the 5mp camera and have seen reviews on-line that show the quality of the pictures and videos it takes.  I did read that amscope makes similar scopes, but it appears that I'd have to spend much more money to get one that allows for pictures and I'd have to buy a camera separately.  In my research, I couldn't find another trinocular scope with a 5mp camera.

Here is another omax that is a little cheaper than the one above, but the limited megapixels of the camera I believe would provide a poor snapshot or video...

OMAX 40X-2500X Lab Binocular Compound LED Microscope with Double Layer Mechanical Stage and Digital Camera M82EZ-C02.  I think the extra $80.00 for the scope with the 5mp camera might be worth it.

By the way, I'm lucky enough to be able to buy something new, even though I know I could probably get a bargain on a better scope used.  I buy my cars used, off 3-year leases.  But, I want to open a brand new scope....even if that sounds rediculous to some folks.

I'd appreaciate any feedback on the omax that someone familiar with it could provide.  While my budget isn't too limited, I would hope that for my needs, this scope would get me started in the hobby.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide,

Mondo

Edited by mondo1948, 15 January 2021 - 08:58 AM.

#2 Javier1978

Javier1978

Apollo

• Loc: Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Posted 16 January 2021 - 09:23 AM

Hi Mondo,

Microscopy is a wonderful hobby and a nice complement to astronomy. The Omax sounds like a good deal and meets some important standard: DIN optics,  mechanical stage, Abbe condenser, adjustable light. The trinocular head is a nice feature, specially if you are planning to use a larger camera on the future. I'm not an expert on microscope cameras, but I'm sure you should be fine for a while with the included camera.

If you didn't see it yet, take a look to this very useful video. Oliver's channel is very clear and informative.

Good luck!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics