•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First Adventures with 8SE

beginner Celestron SCT
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Lasko

Lasko

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Sacramento, CA

Posted 15 January 2021 - 09:24 PM

Hi all,

I finally had a chance to get my new scope out a few times, and get registered here on CN.  I've been reading a lot of the forums and there is all kinds of great information.  I bought the 8SE about a year ago and for various reasons it stayed in the box until the beginning of last month.  I wanted to get it working for Saturn/Jupiter but the weather here was mostly bad around the time so I missed that except for one night after they passed I was able to view it with the 10x70 binoculars.

After that I had the mount set up here next to my desk with the HC connected via USB to Stellarium.  I had it do a one star align on Polaris at the place I decided it probably was then used the HC and Stellarium to find different things.  This worked great and Stellarium is fantastic.

There was finally a break in the weather on 12/28 and got everything ready.  I did not take it outside first to align the finder, because how hard could it be?  Answer: harder than I thought.  The full moon also did not help.  The focus was so far out it took forever to even get a star visible, then was able to get a successful alignment with Rigel and Pollux.  This scope definitely needs something better than the red dot, so I decided on the 9x50 RACI for the next outing.

I took it outside about a week later with the new RACI and centered it on a hawk sitting on top of a power pole about 3000' away.  Alignment was much easier using the RACI.  I've been able to get out two more times and find some easy objects, M31 M42 Mars.  I tried M33 each night and no trace of it.  The alignment I think was good but just too dim for the environment here.

Anyway, I don't want to make this a wall of text any more than it is so I will just add a frame I captured of M42 two nights ago.  This is straight out of camera with +1.5 exposure comp applied in Nikon Capture NX-D.  I really love the colors that came through.

Looking forward to more clear nights and warmer weather!  grin.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0040_00002_Resize.jpg

• Steev, Crazyhorse1876, Thomas Marshall and 2 others like this

#2 rboe

rboe

ISS

• Loc: Phx, AZ

Posted 16 January 2021 - 11:18 AM

Welcome to Cloudy Nights!

While I'm fond of RACI finders and use them 95% of the time, once in a blue moon the red dot works better (if I have to realign later in the night due to a pulled power plug, the red dot works better because all the dang stars look bring in the RACI so I have a difficult time finding the one that matters). So I have a red dot finder for those times. Otherwise; I align shortly after sunset so the bright stars stand out really nice. :D

I'm trying to recall when I've seen M33 and nothing comes to mind. There are some very good candidates (for galaxies) in the Virgo Cluster, but too many of the Messier Galaxies are too hard to see unless you are at a premium dark sky site. Makes me wonder how Messier saw them in the first place!

#3 Lasko

Lasko

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Sacramento, CA

Posted 16 January 2021 - 03:18 PM

Welcome to Cloudy Nights!

While I'm fond of RACI finders and use them 95% of the time, once in a blue moon the red dot works better

Thank you, and great point.  I did leave the red dot finder attached in case some time it could be useful.  It is actually perfect for getting it pointed in the correct general direction to start out.

The other issue I had with the RDF is the mounting and adjustment are kind of wonky.  Sometimes turning the left/right adjustment makes it move up/down a bit, and vice versa.  Also I kind of broke the mounting rail on the RDF the first night bringing the scope inside when I accidentally pushed on it.  One of the screws pulled loose and stripped the plastic threads.  Not sure if that's repairable.  Fortunately the second mounting screw closer to the front survived so I can still get it to work.  Lesson from that, remove the RDF before taking down the scope.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beginner, Celestron, SCT

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics