•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Need to order a part, unsure what it is called

equipment Maksutov mount accessories
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Seralyn

Seralyn

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Tokyo, Japan

Posted 15 January 2021 - 11:13 PM

Hey guys,

So, I've just received a new red dot finder for my 127mm Sky Watcher Mak. Although I ordered it from an Astro-products store, I'm wondering if it wasn't meant for a handgun. It's got great build quality (all metal, red/green, 4 diff reticle shapes), but it came with no adapter to go between it and the dovetail? base plate attached to my scope. I'm not sure if that thing is even called an adapter or what. I made an image composite explaining where I'm at with this. In the bottom right photo, I'm trying to show that it's the same part, but with a wider top part. I've measured everything, so I know what dimensions to seek, but not what that part is called. Hopefully someone knows what it is called! And in the event that those things are standard one-size objects...how else might I attach this, short of a jerry-rigged way of widening the top part of the old adapter via tape or whatnot (I live in a small apartment in Tokyo and do not have easy access to tools/materials) . And just so that it is clear, in the bottom middle photo, that is as tight/narrow as those plates can be moved. The website I ordered from made no mention of any potentially needed adapters.

A link to where I bought it if it is somehow helpful:  http://www.astrostr....l/000000000246/

J2Xl95.png

• mrlovt likes this

#2 RogerM

RogerM

Mariner 2

• Loc: California

Posted 15 January 2021 - 11:36 PM

This is the closest adapter I could find, however I'm not certain about the sizing of the lower shoe since the ad refers to "...8" and larger SCTs..."  However, the baseplate does separate off and it does look like the bottom foot of the riser would fit into the dovetail on your scope.

f002f__66468.1549756086.jpeg

Edited by RogerM, 16 January 2021 - 12:59 AM.

• Seralyn likes this

#3 AstroBrett

AstroBrett

Mariner 2

Posted 15 January 2021 - 11:47 PM

That is a really nice unit. Thanks for sharing the information.

Brett

• Seralyn likes this

#4 moonrider

moonrider

Messenger

• Loc: Murphy, NC

Posted 15 January 2021 - 11:59 PM

Yeah that definitely looks like it mounts to the top rail on a Bushmaster rifle.....

• Seralyn likes this

#5 ad701xx

ad701xx

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Oregon, USA

Posted 16 January 2021 - 01:36 AM

Hey guys,

So, I've just received a new red dot finder for my 127mm Sky Watcher Mak. Although I ordered it from an Astro-products store, I'm wondering if it wasn't meant for a handgun. It's got great build quality (all metal, red/green, 4 diff reticle shapes), but it came with no adapter to go between it and the dovetail? base plate attached to my scope. I'm not sure if that thing is even called an adapter or what. I made an image composite explaining where I'm at with this. In the bottom right photo, I'm trying to show that it's the same part, but with a wider top part. I've measured everything, so I know what dimensions to seek, but not what that part is called. Hopefully someone knows what it is called! And in the event that those things are standard one-size objects...how else might I attach this, short of a jerry-rigged way of widening the top part of the old adapter via tape or whatnot (I live in a small apartment in Tokyo and do not have easy access to tools/materials) . And just so that it is clear, in the bottom middle photo, that is as tight/narrow as those plates can be moved. The website I ordered from made no mention of any potentially needed adapters.

Most of these red dot sights are repurposed rifle sights. The larger sized one fits on Weaver or Picatinny rails. The smaller one could be for .22 rifles or airguns.

The one RogerM linked to looks like it may work. You can also look for something like this:

https://www.amazon.c...tag=googhydr-20

Another option is to buy a piece of Weaver or Picatinny rail and screw or glue it to your existing one:

https://www.amazon.c...10778895&sr=8-5

Lastly, if you know anyone with a 3D printer, ask them to print you one of these:

https://www.thingive.../thing:3051137 

Edit: For some reason the Thiniverse links don't work. Just go to www.thingiverse.com and search for "Dovetail Base to Weaver Rail Adapter for Telescope".

Edited by ad701xx, 16 January 2021 - 01:42 AM.

• Seralyn likes this

#6 Seralyn

Seralyn

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Tokyo, Japan

Posted 17 January 2021 - 01:31 AM

Thank you everyone for your help! I was able to track down the piece I needed online. I have to wait a month for it to arrive, but I will get to use this cool new piece of kit. Much appreciated!

• RogerM likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: equipment, Maksutov, mount, accessories

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics