•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stated Mount Weight Capacity

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 stephenws

stephenws

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 January 2021 - 12:30 AM

When Losmandy says their G-11 mount will handle up to 60lbs, is that the weight of the telescope alone, or the combined weight of the telescope and counterweights?

#2 t-ara-fan

t-ara-fan

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: 50° 13' N

Posted 17 January 2021 - 12:32 AM

Does not include counterweights.
  • stephenws likes this

#3 SonnyE

SonnyE

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 17 January 2021 - 02:52 AM

That is stated as the Photographic Instrument weight.

In other words, everything from the clamp up.

My GM811GHD is rated for a 50 pound Photographic instrument load. But I'm a DSO and Nebula imager.

So my entire load on it is a mere 17.5 pounds. Kind of like a fly on an elephants back.

That whole weight/ capacity thing is hard to grasp because Asia see's it one way, and it is generally accepted practice to halve the capacity for photographic use.

I believe Losmandy's ratings are more realistic.

Counter weights don't factor into the mounts capacity. Only everything from the bar up, including the bar.

Clear as mud, huh?

• stephenws likes this

#4 mrlovt

mrlovt

Messenger

• Loc: Smyrna, TN

Posted 24 January 2021 - 11:49 PM

Per the datasheet here, that's just the imaging instrument capacity.  Visual capacity of the G11G is 75 lbs.  Neither figure includes the counterweights.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics