•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Storing a XX14g

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Chaz659

Chaz659

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Seabrook, TX

Posted 17 January 2021 - 01:21 AM

We have a XX14g that is taking up too much space in the spare room my wife uses as a craft room among other things. We live in Houston, TX. I was wondering if anyone stores their dobs in the garage under similar conditions, i.e., often very humid. I wouldn't put the mirror out there but was concerned about the base, the electronics, etc. Just not feeling comfortable storing it out there tbh. But will welcome anyone's input and experience.  Thanks.

• stargazer193857 and aeajr like this

#2 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: NE Kansas

Posted 17 January 2021 - 01:43 AM

Assuming it's covered, the mirror would be the component least susceptible to a problem. I store my 12 dob in my garage all year and it's all still working just fine. No problems with the base either. I prefer it actually because I can take it out without waking anyone up and it's already acclimated to the temp, or close to it. 

• Chaz659 likes this

#3 junomike

junomike

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 17 January 2021 - 08:47 AM

IMO the humidity will effect the particle board long before the mirrors or electronics.  As the XX14g comes apart, why not keep the UTA, Poles, and Mirror/OTA in the garage and store the Base (fully apart) in the house (in closet, under beds, etc).

• Chaz659 likes this

#4 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 17 January 2021 - 02:50 PM

We have a XX14g that is taking up too much space in the spare room my wife uses as a craft room among other things. We live in Houston, TX. I was wondering if anyone stores their dobs in the garage under similar conditions, i.e., often very humid. I wouldn't put the mirror out there but was concerned about the base, the electronics, etc. Just not feeling comfortable storing it out there tbh. But will welcome anyone's input and experience.  Thanks.

If you are not a member of a local astronomy club I would suggest you find one and get to know them.  Perhaps join the club.   Ask the members what their experience is with scope storage. 

I am on Long Island, just East of NYC.  All of my scopes live in a well ventilated garage.  I can only share my experience since I don't live in Houston.   

Do you keep garden tools in your garage?   Do they rust?  If they do, then I would not keep the scope out there.  

Do you keep boxes/cardboard in the garage?  If they mold, I would not keep the scope out there.

It is pretty humid in the summer but not to the same degree as Houston.  My garage is not heated or air conditioned. Plenty of ventilation so the scope is always at ambient temperature.  Nothing rusts and nothing molds in my garage.

I keep my 12" Dob on a hand truck so I can just roll it out whenever I like.  4 other scopes, all my eyepieces and other accessories are out there too.  

BTW, the XX14G was on my shopping list when I bought the 12.  Really nice scope. My friend has the XX14i. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Apertura fitted to red handtruck (480x640).jpg

Edited by aeajr, 17 January 2021 - 03:00 PM.

• Chaz659 and wrnchhead like this

#5 Chaz659

Chaz659

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 January 2021 - 03:47 PM

If you are not a member of a local astronomy club I would suggest you find one and get to know them.  Perhaps join the club.   Ask the members what their experience is with scope storage. 

I am on Long Island, just East of NYC.  All of my scopes live in a well ventilated garage.  I can only share my experience since I don't live in Houston.  

We are members of the local astronomy club. The points you've made about cardboard getting moldy or equipment rusting are valid. I can thankfully say none of that has happened in 6 years. Still I'm reluctant. As junomike mentioned I'm more concerned about the particle board then anything else. BTW - I believe you and I chatted years ago before we moved from Long Island to Houston. I think it was when we first purchased an xx14i.

#6 Chaz659

Chaz659

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 January 2021 - 03:48 PM

IMO the humidity will effect the particle board long before the mirrors or electronics.  As the XX14g comes apart, why not keep the UTA, Poles, and Mirror/OTA in the garage and store the Base (fully apart) in the house (in closet, under beds, etc).

The particle board is my biggest concern, but I also think if the particle board is impacted by the humidity, the electronics might be as well.

#7 Chaz659

Chaz659

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 January 2021 - 03:57 PM

Assuming it's covered, the mirror would be the component least susceptible to a problem. I store my 12 dob in my garage all year and it's all still working just fine. No problems with the base either. I prefer it actually because I can take it out without waking anyone up and it's already acclimated to the temp, or close to it. 

What is the humidity like where you are? February, March and April are not too bad but the average yearly humidity is more than 80%. From mid April through January it's well above 80% most of the time.

#8 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 17 January 2021 - 05:26 PM

We are members of the local astronomy club. The points you've made about cardboard getting moldy or equipment rusting are valid. I can thankfully say none of that has happened in 6 years. Still I'm reluctant. As junomike mentioned I'm more concerned about the particle board then anything else. BTW - I believe you and I chatted years ago before we moved from Long Island to Houston. I think it was when we first purchased an xx14i.

So, pick up some particle board and stick it in the garage for a couple of months.  Or maybe you have particle board shelves out there.

But, unless you are getting condensation on things, I would not expect a problem.  And if things aren't rusting and nothing is growing mold, I would not expect you to have a problem with the scope, the particle board or the electronics. 

Dew and condensation from bringing a scope from an air conditioned house outside into a humid evening would be more likely to cause problems with the electronics, in my estimation.  And, I would not expect that to be a problem either. 

• Chaz659 likes this

#9 brentknight

brentknight

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Foley, Alabama

Posted 18 January 2021 - 01:33 AM

My XX14g has lived in my garage in south Alabama for 3 years without issues.  I usually bring my gear in from the driveway dripping wet from the humidity and dew and in the morning, everything is nice and dry.

Medium.jpg

Cover with a sheet or something and keep the tube capped to keep the spiders out of it, and it should be just fine...

• junomike, Chaz659 and aeajr like this

#10 Chaz659

Chaz659

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 January 2021 - 08:43 AM

My XX14g has lived in my garage in south Alabama for 3 years without issues.

Just checked and we have very similar weather. This makes me much more comfortable putting it out there. And yes, spiders and lizards will be something we'll have to deal with. Sometimes they deal with each other. LOL Thanks!

• brentknight and aeajr like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics