•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Lens Filters

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 norwaystar06

norwaystar06

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 January 2021 - 01:47 AM

Hello Photogs!

I am a long time photographer and decided to finally take the deep dive into deep space astrophotography. I am using a Canon 5D mk IV and various telephoto lenses to capture a few images. However I understand after watching endless amount of Astrobackyard and Peter Zelinka that a LP filter is necessary. So far all I can find are 2" or 1" filters for telescopes and the clip in for various cameras, however unfortunately it seems the new generation Canons are not compatible. So i was wondering if there are any good light pollution filters out there for the traditional method of screwing on at the end of the lens. I found a few but they seem to have poor reviews or there is no significant difference. Thank you for your help!

#2 Cfreerksen

Cfreerksen

Apollo

• Loc: Tooele, Ut

Posted 17 January 2021 - 01:59 AM

Maybe try here. But these are clip in. You probably don't want it where it can get damaged anyway at these prices.

https://www.astronom...tml?___store=en

Chris

Edited by Cfreerksen, 17 January 2021 - 02:02 AM.

#3 2ghouls

2ghouls

Apollo

Posted 17 January 2021 - 09:10 AM

How dark are your skies? Not having a light pollution filter is no reason not to start astrophotography in my opinion. The main thing they do is change color balance by cutting out a lot of green/yellow, which can be helpful for making red nebulae pop, but I would not call them necessary.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

#4 norwaystar06

norwaystar06

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 January 2021 - 07:22 PM

I am in New York City Bortle 9... the closest place i go to to shoot is Fire Island which is Bortle 5, and very rarely do I go all the way out to Montauk at the tip of eastern Long Island is Bortle 3/4.  

#5 2ghouls

2ghouls

Apollo

Posted 17 January 2021 - 07:35 PM

I am in New York City Bortle 9... the closest place i go to to shoot is Fire Island which is Bortle 5, and very rarely do I go all the way out to Montauk at the tip of eastern Long Island is Bortle 3/4.  

For the Bortle 9, you might want to check out dual narrowband filters rather than a light pollution filter. For the Bortle 3/4/5, I would definitely go with NO filter, or at most a gentle Neodymium. You can see some comparison images of LP filters in different conditions on my website

As for finding a LP filter that can be used with lenses and your 5Dmk4, I'd suggest a 2" filter with step-down rings (lens diameter stepped down to 48mm) to attach to your lens. Yes, you will get strong vignetting you will have to crop away, but 2" filters are the most versatile if you get a telescope later on, or want to re-sell them. You will also get the best selection and availability buying 2" filters.

Edited by 2ghouls, 17 January 2021 - 07:43 PM.

#6 bignerdguy

bignerdguy

Viking 1

• Loc: Lewisville, TX

Posted 22 January 2021 - 10:56 PM

Actually try these, I have had good results with them on my modded Canon 60D.

https://www.amazon.c...&ref=nb_sb_noss

If you plan on doing single shots with no photoshoping then do a custom white balance and shoot a gray/white card and use it in the camera menus for the white balance setting.  Do the shot during the day of the card and it should color correct.  Otherwise I do all my color correction in photoshop since it is easier.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics