•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ASI Air Pro YouTube Demo

astrophotography mount polar alignment refractor equipment
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 joeytroy

joeytroy

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Belen, NM, USA

Posted 17 January 2021 - 04:08 AM

I was asked by a handful of users to show off my ASI Air Pro rig. There is a total of 6 videos breaking down the following gear

ZWO ASI Air Pro
Sky-Watcher EQM-35 Pro
ZWO EAF (Electronic Auto Focuser) / Deep Sky Dad mount
ZWO 120mm Mono camera
ZWO 30mm Mini Guide Scope
Nikon D5000 DSLR Camera

YouTube Playlist

https://www.youtube....EOTQwggW_xf052m

01 Equipment Walkthrough

02 ZWO ASI Air Pro Settings

03 Polar Alignment and GoTo

04 Auto Focus, Acquisition and Dither

05 Meridian Flip, Bias and Darks

06 Flats and Outro

The final image is not the best due to satellite trails however it was only 10x300s for 50 minutes of exposure

• MadEquinox and MeenSeen like this

#2 MadEquinox

MadEquinox

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Virginia

Posted 17 January 2021 - 01:45 PM

@joeytroy Thanks so much. Great series of videos to help aspiring AP noobs. Plus it helps that your equipment is within range of my budget wink.gif

• joeytroy likes this

#3 joeytroy

joeytroy

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 17 January 2021 - 03:50 PM

Chris,

My pleasure! That is was what I was hoping for! It's been a lot fun shooting the stars and if I can assist others like I have been assisted here at CN, then to me it's a win.

#4 MadEquinox

MadEquinox

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 17 January 2021 - 06:41 PM

@joeytroy - What were your requirements or factors to choose the RedCat 51 over other refractors? I have seen a lot of great reviews but wanted to get your thoughts.

#5 joeytroy

joeytroy

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 17 January 2021 - 07:04 PM

When I first started I didn’t have a clue. I spent a lot of time on Astrobackyard and really liked his blog, his videos and what he was capturing with a redcat and a dslr. I spent a lot of time reading and also looking at images on astrobin as well. And also was trying not to spend much on the hobby.

I originally bought a iOptron Sky Guider pro with sky polar with the cat but it didn’t work out so well for me so I sent it back and invested in the EQM-35 as it was a cheaper mount as after needing to buy a better tripod and buying the William Optics vixen bar and weight it was like $200+ difference so I took the extra money and went with the ASI Air Pro kit. It’s been a slow upgrade little by little.

My goal was to learn old school so I could appreciate the hobby more as I added technology to it. My first rig was a barn door with a 50mm Nikon lens and the dslr. If I had it all over to do again I would still buy the cat. It’s a decently priced wide field telescope and it’s a lot fun to use.

I feel like in the 3 months of images I have taken is just scratching the surface of AP. Once my ASI533 shows up I should really start to be able to get my feet wet with some amazing DSO. I am also fortunate to be living in Bortle class 4 skies and most days it’s clear skies.

I’m hoping to start capturing a lot more in the weeks to come when my camera arrives.

Best of luck on the decision!

#6 cougarone

cougarone

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Audobon and Paupack, PA

Posted 17 January 2021 - 07:30 PM

Been listening to your videos. Thanks for sharing as it really helps others get through many of the ins and outs of this hobby !!

• joeytroy likes this

#7 joeytroy

joeytroy

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 17 January 2021 - 08:29 PM

Been listening to your videos. Thanks for sharing as it really helps others get through many of the ins and outs of this hobby !!

Thank you! waytogo.gif I am doing my best not to mislead anyone lol. I have learned a lot from reading, along with a lot of help from this forum but still have a lot more to learn as I am only 3 months into AP.

#8 MadEquinox

MadEquinox

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 18 January 2021 - 02:10 PM

You do a great job providing instruction. Hope you do a video on PixInsight and your post processing methods. wink.gif

Btw, like the blog!

Chris

• joeytroy likes this

#9 joeytroy

joeytroy

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 18 January 2021 - 02:27 PM

Chris,

Thanks for the compliments! Yes I plan on doing some PixInsight with a little more in-depth tutorial in time. The big issue is I thought I was rocking and rolling with PI as my images looked pretty good IMHO then to come find out I was using processes that needed to be done in linear mode, instead I was using them in non-linear. So I didn't want to send anyone down the wrong rabbit hole till I get it all figured out properly. There is so much to PI and still getting my bearings on using it proficiently. Once I get my ASI533 and get it down pat my plan is to release my images along with some tutorials on how to process. My current thought process is probably release upto 5 different targets that you can't capture with a DSLR and go though my new improved process with PI. I may also release some of my old stuff on the DSLR as well for other new users not using a OSC.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, mount, polar alignment, refractor, equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics