•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Would like some suggestions about making a dome

ATM DIY observatory reflector
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 wavefront

wavefront

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 17 January 2021 - 05:20 AM

Hi everyone ........... I would like to build a 12 foot diameter observatory this Spring that has a shutter that rolls back.  Bi parting shutters are okay but can act like sails when the wind picks up.  I don't quite understand how to have it roll back and still remain water resistant.  If someone has some carefully drawn plans I might be willing to send you some money for them. The diagrams below might be helpful.  I'd like to end up having something for a Newtonian that would allow me to see objects that are lower in the sky. Also I wouldn't have to fuss with any ladders. The old color pic from a catalog kind of explains it.  Thanks confused1.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• DomeDesign.png
  • Mt Evans Best.png

Edited by wavefront, 17 January 2021 - 07:20 PM.

#2 Oberon

Oberon

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Hunter Valley NSW Australia

Posted 17 January 2021 - 05:51 AM

You might like to consider a 5/8 dome that is more than a hemisphere. That way there is enough space on the rear of the dome to store the opening section (the shutter).

#3 PETER DREW

PETER DREW

Surveyor 1

Posted 17 January 2021 - 06:00 AM

Before retirement I built observatories as part of my astro equipment business.  I made several domes up to 30 feet diameter and several half cylinder versions.  The half cylinder units are easier and cheaper to make.  I have tried up and over doors and bi-parting doors, I wouldn't go back to the former, too many long term problems.  

• PrestonE and wavefront like this

#4 duck

duck

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: madera ca

Posted 17 January 2021 - 02:00 PM

domers.jpg

20ft diameter.  Up and over shutter.  Lower fold out section at the limit of what can be opened/closed by hand using a rope and pulleys.  1/4 hp shutter motor with huge reduction.  Takes several minutes to open/close the shutter.  Shutter is only captive at the ends of travel, about 2 feet.  Shutter is driven by a sprocket engaging a rack made from a strip of perforated steel.  Sprocket teeth were enlarged from a standard sprocket by welding and grinding to shape.  All moving/mating surfaces have lips to prevent rain from getting in.  

• wavefront likes this

#5 Beeham

Beeham

Mariner 2

• Loc: Oakland County, Michigan

Posted 17 January 2021 - 05:59 PM

One thing to think about - "watertight" is a tough requirement, but what you want is "no water intrusion", which is slightly different.

I would do the sliding top as a tambour-door style construction, then nest it in a pair of "C" tracks for motion, kind of like a garage door.  If the lower portion of the C has an upturned flange, the whole thing will act like a gutter, and any rain that sneaks around the edge can be channeled to a drain at the lower edge.

Auto sunroofs are typically done this way - it's easier to engineer a solution to manage water that gets in, rather than one that is 100% watertight.

Maybe helpful, maybe not...but something to think about.

Cheers!

• wavefront and PETER DREW like this

#6 gregj888

gregj888

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Oregon

Posted 17 January 2021 - 06:50 PM

Might want to move this to "Observatories"....

My favorites

Google "Geodesic foam observatory" .  Probably the cheapest way to get a dome.  I visited this one and was impressed.  Should get you here:

https://users.eoni.c...itzj/observ.htm

And on Youtube, search for "Arduino observatory" my current favorite,  Flat pieces, good use of materials, looks a little like the ESO enclosures and with small mod could have the exhaust behind the slit out of the observing path.  12 sides...   here: https://www.youtube....h?v=FR5WsE8gGSk

Edited by gregj888, 17 January 2021 - 06:51 PM.

#7 wavefront

wavefront

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 17 January 2021 - 07:24 PM

One thing to think about - "watertight" is a tough requirement, but what you want is "no water intrusion", which is slightly different.

I would do the sliding top as a tambour-door style construction, then nest it in a pair of "C" tracks for motion, kind of like a garage door.  If the lower portion of the C has an upturned flange, the whole thing will act like a gutter, and any rain that sneaks around the edge can be channeled to a drain at the lower edge.

Auto sunroofs are typically done this way - it's easier to engineer a solution to manage water that gets in, rather than one that is 100% watertight.

Maybe helpful, maybe not...but something to think about.

Cheers!

I had to laugh at "water tight" because I forgot it's not a submarine  lol.gif  Thanks for your thoughtful explanation

• gregj888 and torsinadoc like this

#8 Bob4BVM

Bob4BVM

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: W. Oregon

Posted 17 January 2021 - 10:00 PM

Having used domes of all sizes from 10' to 36' for long periods, i can easily say that i much prefer the ROR type of roof.  Can't beat that wide-open-sky feeling i get when i roll the whole roof back. I understand the advantages of a dome when it comes to sheltering the gear & person, but i still feel claustrophobic in there compared to a full-sky situation.  Just my take

CS

Bob

Edited by Bob4BVM, 17 January 2021 - 10:02 PM.

• John Lightholder likes this

#9 Foundationer

Foundationer

Vostok 1

• Loc: Central US

Posted 18 January 2021 - 08:11 AM

I was going to follow this gentleman's plan until I decided to go with my Nexdome.

https://va3ngc.weebl...s---dome-1.html

• wavefront likes this

#10 wavefront

wavefront

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 18 January 2021 - 06:00 PM

I was going to follow this gentleman's plan until I decided to go with my Nexdome.

https://va3ngc.weebl...s---dome-1.html

You're right.  These will last for a long time if you keep an eye on it and use a glossy oil base paint.  Thanks for sending this  waytogo.gif 

#11 Taosmath

Taosmath

Apollo

Posted 19 January 2021 - 12:08 AM

Alan,

How about a low elevation ROR like mine.....

finished Small.jpeg

I designed it for my 18" F4.5 Dob & to see objects with altitudes down to 20 degrees .

Works well for me and at half the cost of a commercial dome.

(PS - I love the 8" Celestron Star Hopper you sold me a couple of years ago - still one of my favorite scopes to use!)

Colin

• wavefront likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ATM, DIY, observatory, reflector

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics