•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cannot connect astrophotography tool to my celestron AVX mount

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dclt

dclt

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 January 2021 - 06:56 PM

I’ve downloaded & installed the ASCOM celestron drivers & am connected to the mount via the USB connection on the hand controller. This is not a COM port settings issue at all. I am consistently on com port 3 every time I connect the mount no matter what.

I have read that you have better luck connecting the AVX mount to 3rd party software using the CPWI as a broker. The problem is, there is no CPWI ASCOM driver set available for download ANYWHERE. I’ve searched all over. I have also attempted to use CPWI within APT to connect to the mount & it gives an error code that I do not have the CPWI drivers loaded. Because I cannot find them. Ascom doesn’t show them on their website.

I have no issue connecting the mount to the celestron CPWI software. I also connect to the mount via Stellarium no problem.

What I am attempting to do is this:

-begin with CPWI and select “quick align” so that I can then...
-move over to astrophotography tool and have it plate solve for me so I can then bypass the manual celestron alignment & then begin imaging using APT.

Essentially I want to bypass the celestron software as much as possible, entirely if possible & use plate solving to star align. I need to be able to have APT control the mount though first & I am quite frustrated.

A couple of other notes:
-this is a new AVX mount & the firmware is up to date.

Please help.

Edited by dclt, 17 January 2021 - 06:57 PM.

#2 dclt

dclt

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 January 2021 - 07:15 PM

Update:

I figured out my own stupid mistake after digging deep into the celestron CPWI manual. Apparently if you install CPWI on your computer before you install ASCOM it messes it all up. The only way to install the CPWI ASCOM drivers is to first install ASCOM and then install CPWI. CPWI installs the ASCOM drivers itself but ONLY if it detects that you have ASCOM already loaded.

Long story short: I uninstalled CPWI then re-installed. Now APT is connecting with the AVX mount, but make sure you select CPWI and not the celestron mount driver set as you target under the “mount” tab in APT.

Hopefully someone else will learn from my mistake. I wasted my entire afternoon trying to figure this out lol.

<edited by moderator for language>

#3 SkipW

SkipW

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oklahoma, USA

Posted 20 January 2021 - 10:37 PM

This sort of "learned the hard way" info can be very helpful. 

Sometimes it's the only way to figure this stuff out, so thanks for taking one for the team and, at least as important, letting us know!

Edited by SkipW, 20 January 2021 - 10:40 PM.

#4 dclt

dclt

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 January 2021 - 12:34 AM

This sort of "learned the hard way" info can be very helpful.

Sometimes it's the only way to figure this stuff out, so thanks for taking one for the team and, at least as important, letting us know!

Ha, well hopefully it’s of use to someone around here. The gotcha with the Celestron CPWI software that it won’t connect to ASCOM unless you install ASCOM first before installing CPWI is buried pretty deep in their lit. A glitch really, but a good FYI for other Celestron mount owners.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics